1950s Browning 16 gauge

Goosemaster

I think the sweet 16 is the best feeling gun you can get.The weight, the look, the feel.It is a beautiful thing.They are not screw in choke.

I think the sweet 16 is the best feeling gun you can get.The weight, the look, the feel.It is a beautiful thing.They are not screw in choke.
I think they are a neat gun, but they don't fit me well at all in that they are too short, in the stock, for my long arms.

I think they are a neat gun, but they don't fit me well at all in that they are too short, in the stock, for my long arms.
Yeah I'm a missing link as well.I have long arms,tall, but the gun isn't a great fit, but I really like the grip, and the wood.

The thing about these full choke Browning is, you can cap off a turkey, and if you miss a pheasant, you miss clean.

Those 10 pound weights sure look nice and are a classic, but I'll take my new fangled A5 16 gauge that's sub 6 pounds any day over those old clubs

The specs on 1950s models A5 are almost 10 pounds Goose. I wouldn't consider that light by any means.

I have a 16 gauge Sweet 16 from the 1960's with a 28"barrel, fixed Mod choke, round knob with Vent rib. I just weighed it and at a weight of an even 7 pounds, I can assure you that such a gun DOES NOT weigh 10 pounds--not even close. If you want to do disservice to the Sweet 16, don't use the weight argument.

I have a 16 gauge Sweet 16 from the 1960's with a 28"barrel, fixed Mod choke, round knob with Vent rib. I just weighed it and at a weight of an even 7 pounds, I can assure you that such a gun DOES NOT weigh 10 pounds--not even close. If you want to do disservice to the Sweet 16, don't use the weight argument.
The specs I found online showed 9.8 pounds for a 1950 model. Maybe that was a 12 gauge. Not sure. And I'm not discouraging them by any means, I own a new A5 Sweet 16 myself haha but at a hair over 5.5 pounds, anything over 7 feels like a brick to me now.

The specs I found online showed 9.8 pounds for a 1950 model. Maybe that was a 12 gauge. Not sure. And I'm not discouraging them by any means, I own a new A5 Sweet 16 myself haha but at a hair over 5.5 pounds, anything over 7 feels like a brick to me now.
The new sweet 16 can't hold a candle to a 1950s sweet 16.This is not open to debate. Golden hour makes great videos,but needs to get rid of that ugly shotgun. An old Browning has honor.

A sweet 16 is a sweet 16. If your browning just says sixteen then it isn’t a sweet sixteen. Same for 50s guns… if it doesn’t say “sweet” then it isn’t one. There are differences. Weight is the biggest difference. I’m talking about vintage guns…

I don’t like the terms toxic/non-toxic for shot. It seems like a label an Anti would coin. And why not, just listen to how it sounds. Not a good look for hunting. Many ways to go with this. Lead vs steel, Traditional vs Modern, Heavy vs light. Upland vs Waterfowl. Take your pick because there’s nothing toxic about hunting.

I'm wondering what to use if non toxic is required?
Steel should be ok…maybe call a gunsmith or browning if you’re unsure. Bismuth if you can find it…I’ve got hand loaded hevi shot 16 gauge shells I bot about a decade ago…133 of them, have maybe 50-60 left…$1 apiece…mostly 5’s and 6’s…good loads…I’d give you 15 for that picture…if we were able to do the exchange in person…🥰 Did some research…it appears steel is NOT ok! You must have known that, hence the question….👍

Last edited:
Back