16 gauge??

GSP87

My grandpa gave me his browning sweet 16. I don't want to use it all the time but I don't want it to just sit in the safe either. Was just wondering if anyone uses a 16 gauge and how is it, and what load? Thanks.. And it is made in Belgium and it say special steel 2 3/4

Last edited:
Assuming it's an A-5, you're the proud owner of one of the best upland guns/gauges ever produced (in my opinion)!!! There used to be ounce and quarter loads available but now it seems that you can only find ounce and an eighth. I like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads. Have fun with that awesome scattergun!!!

Very nice upland gun. For pheasant use high velocity 6's or 5's, be careful if you need to use non-toxicshot, selection will be limited and expensive, I would not use steel. Make sure gun is stamped 2 &3/4", a few 2 & 9/16ths" out there as well. Be sure to adjust your forearm rings to High Velocity to function correctly and prevent premature spring wear. Sweet 16 generally lighter than Browning A-5 20ga. standard weight.

my very first shotgun was a single shot 16 gauge. loved it. but i wanted to be like everyone else.. so i got a 12 gauge.

Well that's good to here. Thanks everyone. Oldandnew how would I go about adjusting my forearm springs? And why would I have to do that. I don't know much about semi auto's this is my first.

That's awsome!!I'm excited to use in the next time I'm out

I have had a boat load of 16ga guns over the years. still have a standard A5 and model 12 Winchester 16ga. Shot a limit of Ruff Grouse with the model 12 one day this fall.

That's awsome!! I appreciate all the feedback, this is prolly one one the best hunting forums I've been apart of. The feedback is awsome. Thanks again..

No one has asked what your "Sweet 16" is choked. I have two 16's that I use almost exclusively for pheasants, an O/U and a SxS. I use mainly Federal Game-Shok High Brass #6's. I've tried the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads and really can't tell the difference between them and the Federal's. If you have to use non-toxic in some areas and don't want to use steel Kent makes a Tungsten-Matrix that is a good load but very spendy. Around $30 for a box of 10. If your gun is choked IC or Mod. you should be able to use steel but you might check with a good gunsmith to make sure. I've used the Federal Ultra-Shok High Velocity Steel in #4 shot with good results.

I definitely wouldn't recommend using steel in that gun unless it is a later model with the Browning Invector tubes. I assume that because it is your grandfather's, it is an older model (if you're lucky it was made in Belgium) and the barrel probably read's "special steel." This was long before steel shot was used and was used to denote Browning's trademark. I digress.
Here are a couple helpful manuals for your perusal. The last link specifically offers friction ring instruction. Be careful with the forearm when you remove it as they are very easy to crack. Be sure to lightly lube the magazine tube where it comes in contact with the friction rings. This is the most common (at least for me) reason for cycling issues.
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/auto5_light_om_s.pdf
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/field_service_manual/browning_auto_5_field_service_manual.pdf
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=105

Yea I'll definetly look Into that before I take it out

Not sure what the choke is but it is made in Belgium and it says "special steel 2 3/4"

BROWNING CHOKES AND THEIR CODES (ON REAR LEFT-SIDE OF BARREL)

* designates full choke (F).

*- designates improved modified choke (IM).

** designates modified choke (M).

**- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

**$ designates skeet (SK).

*** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

INV. designates barrel is threaded for Browning Invector choke tube system.

INV. PLUS designates back-bored barrels

Here's link to properly setting your friction rings. So your gun operated properly with the loads you choose to shoot through it

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=105

Myself, I'm looking for a 1960s vintage A5 Sweet 16 with vent rib barrel with Mod choke in very good shape and all Org. with factory butt plate/stock length

Browning Citori Gran Lightning 16 with tubes, Mod over I/C.
Ammo is RIO 1 1/8 #6 early, switching to Federal HV PF 1 1/8 #4 later on.

Back