16 ga. ammo

I'm sure they do but you will pay a pretty penny for it. Dad bought some shells there late last year and paid considerably more than I would have thought. Best to bring them with you.

That's the problem. Around here 16 ga. shells are scarce and selection of shot size is pretty much limited to #6. I have checked several places online, but they all want about as much to ship them as what the shells themselves cost!

Yes they do. They have a great ammo selection.

Check out B&P Ammo. Great ammo + free shipping + reasonable price = great buy!!!

Don't know about Mitchell SD but the one in KC is a crapshoot. As you get closer to hunting season, the shelves get more bare. Like SD lots of out of state hunters hit the KC Cabela's on their way out to western KS. 16's are scarce to begin with and many times non existant on the shelves.
Try this. You can order ammo on line for delivery to any Cabela's store at no shipping cost. If you know when you are going to be there, order your ammo on line ahead of time and have it waiting at the in-store-pick-up when you get there. They give you 10 days to pick it up after it arrives so you can safe side it. Better than hoping for the best and finding none when you get there. In my experience if the ammo you order is in stock its usually there in a week or so.

I always bring enough ammo on a trip to get me through it but if I run across ammo that I want along the way. I snatch it up. Don't be afraid to check a Runnings farm store. They have some great deals on 12 and 20ga every year. I haven't tried to buy any 16ga from them.

Anyone know if the Cabela's in Mitchell SD usually have a good selection of 16 ga. shells?

What type of 16 ga. shells are you looking for? Size shot, oz. shot, lead or steel, etc.

Anyone know if the Cabela's in Mitchell SD usually have a good selection of 16 ga. shells?

I certainly wouldnt bet the ranch on it. Our crew usually hits that Cabela's a week or so after the season opens. Many if not most, of the most popular loads, in all gauges, is long gone by then. I would take what you need with you.

NB

Winchester still makes 16 ga. ammo in 4 and 6 shot. They are 1 1/8 oz. at 1295.You can find it at the website they have for ammo. The farm store near me carries it.....Phil

We have land about 30 miles west. I hit that store once or twice early. The 16s are in short supply. I buy the fiocchi 16 #5 by the case. Have them delivered to my home.

Forgot to mention, a friend gave me aout 8 boxes of paper 16's tho they are not in the boxes. I will take one out every trip as nothing beats the smell of a good old paper shell when you crack the gun open. That's a memory you young punks will never have!:cheers:

Memories

Amen uncle buck, amen on those old paper shells, I'd forgotten about all that and your post made several very nice menories to come flooding back to me---THANKS:cheers:

I just stopped at a WalMart in KS and it had 16s.

I'm looking for 1.25oz 16ga loads in #5 or #6. Pretty tough to find in my neck of the woods. I only want a couple boxes. I don't live by any Cabelas or other sporting goods specific place, besides my place in Minnesota is not in pheasant country. Nobody stocks any pheasant hunting type ammo other then run of the mill cheap loads with 11/8oz of shot. I know, I know...you don't need those hard kicking 1.25 oz loads for a 16ga. Well I happen to like to have some magnum type loads on hand for when things get tough going. I like 1.25 oz loads in 20ga, 16ga and 12ga. 1.25 oz seems to be my magic number that works well for me in any gauge.

Federal makes 1.25 16ga. loads I have a box , have not shot them. I think I got them at Cabela's. Google Federal 16ga. and maybe you can fiond list of retailers? I also know that I saw them at Lynn's Dakotamart in Pierre SD. They had the widest assortment of 16s I ever saw to include steel.

Back