2011 season set

Wirehairs

Home / News / Local
Pheasant season is set
StoryDiscussionPheasant season is set
Associated Press Rapid City Journal | Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:36 am | (0) Comments

SIOUX FALLS -- Hunters can circle Oct. 15 on their calendar. That's the opening of the South Dakota pheasant hunting season.

The Game, Fish and Parks Commission has approved a season identical to last year. It will run from Oct. 15 to Jan. 1 with a daily limit of three roosters and a possession limit of 15.

Shooting will begin at noon for the first week and then switch to a 10 a.m. start on Oct. 22.

Man, wirehairs I've been hunting SD Since 93'. I think this year is the first I won't make it out there. Already got the wifey pregnant (unexpectedly) and she's due Oct. 19th! I have a feeling it's going to be tough to get away and it's just not going to happen this year:(

Time will tell:) --1pheas4

Man, wirehairs I've been hunting SD Since 93'. I think this year is the first I won't make it out there. Already got the wifey pregnant (unexpectedly) and she's due Oct. 19th! I have a feeling it's going to be tough to get away and it's just not going to happen this year:(

Come on live on the edge. The best hunting is in Dec anyway the kid will be
2 months old by then. Practically old enough to take care of its self.

Thanks Wirehairs! Can't wait (rubbing hands together briskly).

I think the opener leaps forward to the 20th in 2012 (3rd Sat in Oct.). That always causes a train wreck of scheduling issues with the hunters since there is only 2 weeks of hunting in Oct. unlike there is 3 now this year in Oct.

Makes it a little cooler earlier though.

You won't be hunting as much for a while!

Congrats though!

Last edited:
You won't be hunting as much for a while!

Congrats though!

lol, Gee thanks Jeffstally! I like how you've even put a (!) at the end of "you won't be hunting as much for a while". I take it this is coming from experience on your end over there?:D

Moe....I like the way your talking much better:D: The season does go late. Maybe there's a chance. A man can dream can't he?--1pheas4

Congrats on a future hunter.:thumbsup::cheers:

lol, Gee thanks Jeffstally! I like how you've even put a (!) at the end of "you won't be hunting as much for a while". I take it this is coming from experience on your end over there?:D

Moe....I like the way your talking much better:D: The season does go late. Maybe there's a chance. A man can dream can't he?--1pheas4

That's for sure. We have a 20 month old and another due in 3 weeks. It definately cuts into your hunting time.

Why does the SD season run so differently than KS and why the 3 bird limit? Will any other game bird season be open at the same time in early Oct.?

Hey so you slipped one by the goalie! Might as well show how romantic and supportive you are, come for the opener and try to be back by the 19th!:D

Seriously though congrats and raise a kid who respects guns and the hunting tradition

Why does the SD season run so differently than KS and why the 3 bird limit? Will any other game bird season be open at the same time in early Oct.?

My guess is the reason the season in SD starts and ends earlier than Kansas is due to the weather. Hunting in December up here can be an adventure and January could really be a cold one.

I have no explanation why Kansas has a 4 bird limit and South Dakota 3 birds. It's been 3 birds in SD for a long time. I think the first year (1978) I was in SD the limit was two but changed to 3 shortly thereafter. We do have a possession limit of 15, not sure what the possession limit is in Kansas.

My guess is the reason the season in SD starts and ends earlier than Kansas is due to the weather. Hunting in December up here can be an adventure and January could really be a cold one.

I have no explanation why Kansas has a 4 bird limit and South Dakota 3 birds. It's been 3 birds in SD for a long time. I think the first year (1978) I was in SD the limit was two but changed to 3 shortly thereafter. We do have a possession limit of 15, not sure what the possession limit is in Kansas.
At the beginning of my hunting there was a limit of 5. I have no trouble with 3. What I do not understand is why we can only shoot 3 pheasants when we have so many that we have to treat seed to keep the pheasants from eating the seed out of the ground so we can grow corn. But we can shoot 5 partridge which I have not seen on my land since 1996. It feels like they are trying to exterminate them.

At the beginning of my hunting there was a limit of 5. I have no trouble with 3. What I do not understand is why we can only shoot 3 pheasants when we have so many that we have to treat seed to keep the pheasants from eating the seed out of the ground so we can grow corn. But we can shoot 5 partridge which I have not seen on my land since 1996. It feels like they are trying to exterminate them.

I'm for a limit of 5 rooster after a certain date somewhere around early December. Removing roosters helps hens survive the winter.

As you may know, 1 rooster can breed with several hens so a strong rooster population through the winter is not necessary for good pheasant #'s the following year.:) --1pheas4

Kansas has had less birds and a 4 bird limit for quite some time. their marketing strategy is lots of walk in ground and 4 a day....last season the out of state hunting pressure was obscene, worst i have ever seen, they need to drop back to 3 a day, but they like the money,

Whatever SD is doing seems to be working just fine. I doubt you will see any changes to the season or limits unless something drastic changes things.

I know not everyone agrees with the 10:00 AM start, the daily bag limit, etc., but don't look for any changes.

I wasn't complaining at all, I was just curious. So what season is open before pheasant? Would there be a bird with a good population to hunt maybe a few days before it starts and then hit some pheasant on the opener? Sorry, I'm one of those obnoxious out of state guys from Texas. We are STARVED for birds down here and there is nothing we can do about it. TP&W sucks!

Shooting hours start at 12 opening week and 10 the remainder of the season? Man those SD roosters must like to sleep in!:D What do you guys do with yourself in the morning? Our shooting hours start at 8 for pheasants here and I get jittery at about 6:30.:thumbsup:

I don't quite understand why the GFP commission continues with the Noon start the first week and then switches to 10"00 AM. I believe it use to be because of the daylight savings time change and it would coincide with the time change. But now that the dates for DST have been changed I don't know why they continued the noon start for a week.

Personally I like the 10:00 AM start as it makes for a more liesurely morning and still gives a guy enough time to hunt. I think it's good also for the pheasants so they have time to get out and feed unmolested.

I'm not trying to start a debate on the SD start time. It's been beat around pretty good in the past. I only stated my preferrence.

Back