Mid-Size Pickup Truck

I have a buddy that does that also. Never made much sense to me. After paying gas,license,insurance,tires,oil etc on the xtra rig and taking up a parking spot might save a couple hundred $$. Plus I look much better driving my f150 than he does in his rattle trap
All my SUV's and Corolla have a lot of miles on them. Depreciation is very slow on these. I haven't had a car payment in 30 + years. My cost is pretty cheap. We probably drive 45k miles a year. I bet my Landcruiser (80 Series) and Lexus GX-470 look almost as good as your F-150, lol

With the price of used cars at this time, it might not be practical to look at buying a beater right now. The up front cost probably isn't going to pay off. Munster already has one so in his case it seems to make sense.

The thing I would worry about most is the reliability. Older vehicles are less reliable than newer ones (generally) and even if its properly maintained, the chances of something happening while you're out on the road or at a destination goes up with every mile it has on the odometer.

Last edited:
With the price of used cars at this time, it might not be practical to look at buying a beater right now. The up front cost probably isn't going to pay off. Muenster already has one so in his case it seems to make sense.

The thing I would worry about most is the reliability. Older vehicles are less reliable than newer ones (generally) and even if its properly maintained, the chances of something happening while you're out on the road or at a destination goes up with every mile it has on the odometer.
I don't disagree at all. I got a killer deal on the Civic I bought last fall. It was my aunt's old car (it's an 01) that she bought brand new. Only had 120K on the clock when I bought it and I picked it up for $1200. Book value was easily 3K or more. She just wanted it gone and didn't want to deal with random craigslist people so I jumped on the deal. I likely wouldn't have spent 3 grand or more either.

With the price of used cars at this time, it might not be practical to look at buying a beater right now. The up front cost probably isn't going to pay off. Muenster already has one so in his case it seems to make sense.

With the exception of Toyotas and Hondas. I have 4 of them. Landcruiser with 435k, 4 Runner 345k, Corolla 315k, Lexus 265k. I would take any of them on a 5000 mile trip tomorrow. If u take care of your Yota it will take care of you. Guys do 15 minutes of research on reliability of car makers.

With the exception of Toyotas and Hondas. I have 4 of them. Landcruiser with 435k, 4 Runner 345k, Corolla 315k, Lexus 265k. I would take any of them on a 5000 mile trip tomorrow. If u take care of your Yota it will take care of you. Guys do 15 minutes of research on reliability of car makers.
I would never drive a vehicle with that many miles. And I'm also never going on a 5,000 mile trip either unless its on a plane.

I have no doubt you take care of your vehicles though.

I look at it as a longevity savings. I put probably the same amount of miles on my Civic as I do my Silverado each year. So that's half as many miles on my truck. Basically saved a year of driving on my truck. the $1200 truck tires last a bit longer now.

But my Civic miles are the one that's hard on my truck and the worst on MPG. Running around town, going to the store, running errands, etc. All places your trucks get door dings, carts running into them, etc. I could care less about my Civic as long as it has all its parts and it runs. Getting door dings on my 35K truck pisses me off. Door dings on my $1200 Civic doesn't bug me at all. Plus maintenance on it is cheap. No fancy oil changes for that thing. Now my truck is ready to go for long trips where I get my best mileage on it or when I need to go to the store for some lumber or haul a trailer.
I am always careful of where I park. Sometimes I walk a long ways but I can't not remember the last time I had a door ding. Maybe 10 years ago. I park a block or 2 away sometimes and parallel park most of the time. I parallel park when there isn't any available. No tickets yet but I am not going to let some idiot park next to me. Kids are the worst kidding out of vehicle.

I would never drive a vehicle with that many miles. And I'm also never going on a 5,000 mile trip either unless its on a plane.

Really a smart person with good mechanical skills would. I keep mine as long as possible. Cheaper to drop a new a engine or a new transmission in than buy a new one. You are going to pay nearly $5000 in sales tax alone in Kansas on a new truck and $1500 the first year in property tax. My plan is to get 300,000 miles on my Tacoma. I put my money into a retirement account vs a vehicle payments. Its nice being 57 years old and having no vehicle or house payments.

Really a smart person with good mechanical skills would. I keep mine as long as possible. Cheaper to drop a new a engine or a new transmission in than buy a new one. You are going to pay nearly $5000 in sales tax alone in Kansas on a new truck and $1500 the first year in property tax. My plan is to get 300,000 miles on my Tacoma. I put my money into a retirement account vs a vehicle payments. Its nice being 57 years old and having no vehicle or house payments.
I don't care about saving the money. Its worth it for me to upgrade to something newer for peace of mind. Plus we have this thing called road salt up here in the winter too.

I am in agreement with you on parking away from the crowd though.

Amen brother. Use Mobile One oil, and I also put in Marvel's Mystery oil in with the synethic. No reason you can't get 400 or 500k with it.

Gim, I bet with that attitude I can guess what brand of truck you drive. We love to travel to the mountains out west. I also make long bird hunting trips were I will put on 5000k miles on SUV. Flying to different destinations with dogs is a nightmare. Then u would have rent SUV'S when you get there. You see I hunt more than Pheasants...

Gim, I bet with that attitude I can guess what brand of truck you drive.
Irrelevant. I wouldn't drive a vehicle with that many miles, regardless of the brand or model. I just won't. Same reason I wouldn't live in a house built 70 years ago. Or ride in a boat made of wood that is rotting. You get the point. Some of us are old school and some of us are new school.

I completely understand not wanting to put a dog on a plane. I won't do that either.

Irrelevant. I wouldn't drive a vehicle with that many miles, regardless of the brand or model. I just won't. Same reason I wouldn't live in a house built 70 years ago. Or ride in a boat made of wood that is rotting. You get the point. Some of us are old school and some of us are new school.

I completely understand not wanting to put a dog on a plane. I won't do that either.
Different strokes for different folks… that’s what makes the world go around. Depends on what you are willing to spend- if you have it might as well spend and enjoy it as you can’t take it with you

Different strokes for different folks… that’s what makes the world go around. Depends on what you are willing to spend- if you have it might as well spend and enjoy it as you can’t take it with you
Right now new AND used vehicles are high priced. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to drop $50 grand on new truck.

Gim, I bet with that attitude I can guess what brand of truck you drive. We love to travel to the mountains out west. I also make long bird hunting trips were I will put on 5000k miles on SUV. Flying to different destinations with dogs is a nightmare. Then u would have rent SUV'S when you get there. You see I hunt more than Pheasants...

Gim,

I'm 70 years old. How old is old school? LMAO I live in house that was built in 1930, we renovated it when we moved in. I owned a house built in the 1800's and early1900's until recently. Made a tidy sum on them both. I choose to drive older SUV's because they are less dependent on electronic bull.... Like Cit said different strokes for different folks.

Gimruis,

I am like you regarding vehicle miles. If it hits 100k it's gone!

I'm 70 years old. How old is old school?
I'd definitely call 70 old school given the relative comparison to myself. I'm about half your age.

If comparing to someone that's 90, then you might be a spring chicken.

Last edited:
Gimruis,

I am like you regarding vehicle miles. If it hits 100k it's go

I'd definitely call 70 old school given the relative comparison to myself. I'm about half your age.

If comparing to someone that's 90, then you might be a spring chicken.
Gim, I didn't realize that you were that young. I have the advantage of our cars and suv not rusting out like other places. Our 2007 looks like a brand new SUV. I spend my monies on other items besides depreciating assets.

Last edited:
I've only put 78k on mine in 12 years. I don't think I'll live to see 300k:(.

I've only put 78k on mine in 12 years. I don't think I'll live to see 300k:(.
Dude, You need to get out more. Lol. When I was working full time, I would put on 45-55k miles a year. 40k or so for work, 15k for play. Can you imagine my transportation expense if I bought new every time I hit 100k miles?
Between depreciation and payments it would be crazy... I have to work too hard for that. :)

I’ve had 3 tacomas and they were all bulletproof and dependable. If they had 50 more horsepower it would be unbeatable… 2024 might have a turbo option 🤞. I agree dude I have the 2015 Trd pro and it’s been the best

I'd go sit in a Tacoma...extended cab or crew. Two intermediate kennel will fit easily in the bed. At 150,000, I gained a mile mpg, now at 203,000, my last tank got me 22.9 mpg hwy.
He seems there are a lot of Tacoma fans here.

Back