Mid-Size Pickup Truck

I bought a new Nissan Frontier 4x4 in 2007 and still have it. It has 150k and other than basic maintenance haven’t had any big problems and I get 20 mpg+ all of the time. I’m 6’3” and am fine in the drivers seat but the rear seat legroom is horrible, even for my 5’3” wife. We just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 and so far like it. It’s not broken in yet with less than a 1000 miles but we got 19.7 mpg yesterday driving 80 on the Interstate so the mileage is comparable. What is not comparable is the price ~$70K and the room. I think this pickup has more room than our Subaru CrossTrek but it is also way bigger than my Frontier.
Wow, 70K for a pick up truck....I've read car manufacturers love the pick ups. Big Profits...

I bought a new Nissan Frontier 4x4 in 2007 and still have it. It has 150k and other than basic maintenance haven’t had any big problems and I get 20 mpg+ all of the time. I’m 6’3” and am fine in the drivers seat but the rear seat legroom is horrible, even for my 5’3” wife. We just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 and so far like it. It’s not broken in yet with less than a 1000 miles but we got 19.7 mpg yesterday driving 80 on the Interstate so the mileage is comparable. What is not comparable is the price ~$70K and the room. I think this pickup has more room than our Subaru CrossTrek but it is also way bigger than my Frontier.
When I bought my Tacoma, I never had any plans for anyone to ever ride in the back seat. I bought it new in 2020 and it still has never had anyone in the back seat. Why in the world would anyone buy a midsize truck and expect another adult to ride comfortably back there? If you want a truck to haul guest, by a full size. You could put elementary age kids back there, but any teenage kid or adult is going to be miserable in the back seat of a Tacoma or any other midsize truck. I bought a crew cab for one reason, storage.

Well WestKSBowhunter I guess shit doesn’t happen at your house where you need to haul somebody and that’s the only vehicle you have. I bought my Frontier for me, before I was married. I never planned to take anyone in the back seat when I bought it, other than dogs but sometimes you just don’t have a choice!!

When I bought my Tacoma, I never had any plans for anyone to ever ride in the back seat. I bought it new in 2020 and it still has never had anyone in the back seat. Why in the world would anyone buy a midsize truck and expect another adult to ride comfortably back there? If you want a truck to haul guest, by a full size. You could put elementary age kids back there, but any teenage kid or adult is going to be miserable in the back seat of a Tacoma or any other midsize truck. I bought a crew cab for one reason, storage.
I have a friend who always has to special order the Frontier with a double cab long bead. They are within a few short inches of a full-size truck. I asked him why he didn't just buy a full size and he said he likes the frontier. Enough said.

Well WestKSBowhunter I guess shit doesn’t happen at your house where you need to haul somebody and that’s the only vehicle you have. I bought my Frontier for me, before I was married. I never planned to take anyone in the back seat when I bought it, other than dogs but sometimes you just don’t have a choice!!
Back in 1991 I bought a new Ford Ranger. Right off the showroom floor. 9 months later got married. Shit happened, so I traded it for a full size Chevy. And like you said, you bought your Frontier for you, not knowing you would later be married. You didn't plan to take someone in the back seat. Which is why I said quote "Why in the world would anyone buy a midsize truck and expect another adult to ride comfortably back there?" You weren't expecting it. It's like buying a brand new 4-10 and wondering why you can't kill geese at 40 yds. Regardless of what anyone buys, a vehicle is a very poor way to spend your money. Vehicles cost money to operate, maintain, and insure. You are taxed on them every year and pay an outrageous amount of sales tax at the time of purchase. And they depreciate rapidly. Its an expense that I hate having. Luckily I am able to pay cash for them and don't have to worry about interest.

Last edited:
I would stick with a full size, mileage isn't that different and you just have more room for the times when you do need to haul extra people, gear or pets. One thing i have found with the midsize trucks is the narrower wheel base can be problemmatic. At the end of the day just go test drive several make and buy the one you like the best.

I would stick with a full size, mileage isn't that different and you just have more room for the times when you do need to haul extra people, gear or pets. One thing i have found with the midsize trucks is the narrower wheel base can be problemmatic. At the end of the day just go test drive several make and buy the one you like the best.
That is all I've owned up to this point. A 93 F150 4X4 and a 2010 Silverado 4X4.
I don't need a full sized pickup.
I will not be towing anything and hunt solo. Last year I got by fine with a 2008 Escape.

Midsize do get better gas mileage and are ~$10 less expensive to purchase than a comparable full sized pickup.

Back in 1991 I bought a new Ford Ranger. Right off the showroom floor. 9 months later got married. Shit happened, so I traded it for a full size Chevy. And like you said, you bought your Frontier for you, not knowing you would later be married. You didn't plan to take someone in the back seat. Which is why I said quote "Why in the world would anyone buy a midsize truck and expect another adult to ride comfortably back there?" You weren't expecting it. It's like buying a brand new 4-10 and wondering why you can't kill geese at 40 yds. Regardless of what anyone buys, a vehicle is a very poor way to spend your money. Vehicles cost money to operate, maintain, and insure. You are taxed on them every year and pay an outrageous amount of sales tax at the time of purchase. And they depreciate rapidly. Its an expense that I hate having. Luckily I am able to pay cash for them and don't have to worry about interest.
Well said. Some will spend 70k to save 2-3 mpg. All I can say is WOW, lol

Well said. Some will spend 70k to save 2-3 mpg. All I can say is WOW, lol
There is a substantial price difference between a new full size 4X4 pickup and a mid-sized 4X4 pickup.
For example, from Dave Smith Motors, Kellog, Idaho:

2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Truck Crew Cab 4X4
2.7LL I-4 cyl Engine $55,365

2023 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Truck Crew Cab 4X4
2.7LL I-4 cyl Engine $43,790

There is a substantial price difference between a new full size 4X4 pickup and a mid-sized 4X4 pickup.

He said some, not all. You may have your engine size confused on the 1500. Regardless, it is really foolish to spend that much on a truck if you have to finance it. And it is probably foolish to spend it even if your paying cash. Sometimes I regret paying that much for mine, but I enjoy.

He said some, not all. You may have your engine size confused on the 1500. Regardless, it is really foolish to spend that much on a truck if you have to finance it. And it is probably foolish to spend it even if your paying cash. Sometimes I regret paying that much for mine, but I enjoy.
In general a mid size pickup cost less than a full size pickup, often about 10k less for the same features.

In general a mid size pickup cost less than a full size pickup, often about 10k less for the same features.

Again a Silverado 1500 doesn't have a inline 4 banger. Your comparing an FC-AFC to a AKC Junior Hunter. Of course they're cheaper. Long John Silver is cheaper than Red Lobster. You get what you pay for!!!!! You are never going to get the same features in a mid size as a full size. You can pull a wagon with a mid size and you can pull a 5th wheel with a full size.

I contemplated buying a mid size truck when I bought my new house with a smaller garage that my 2018 Silverado couldn't fit in. I decided to cut a hole in the garage and make it deeper instead. For the price they want for new trucks now, even mid sized, I'm alot of money ahead. I also decided to buy an old civic for gas savings around town. 1200 bucks and again, still money ahead. My truck sits in the garage most of the year now, but it's ready to go for anything I need to do come hunting season. With room for 3 guys, gear and 2 dogs.

I contemplated buying a mid size truck when I bought my new house with a smaller garage that my 2018 Silverado couldn't fit in. I decided to cut a hole in the garage and make it deeper instead. For the price they want for new trucks now, even mid sized, I'm alot of money ahead. I also decided to buy an old civic for gas savings around town. 1200 bucks and again, still money ahead. My truck sits in the garage most of the year now, but it's ready to go for anything I need to do come hunting season. With room for 3 guys, gear and 2 dogs.
Yes we have an old Corolla for great mpg. 33-34 mpg. 2006.

Yes we have an old Corolla for great mpg. 33-34 mpg. 2006.
I have a buddy that does that also. Never made much sense to me. After paying gas,license,insurance,tires,oil etc on the xtra rig and taking up a parking spot might save a couple hundred $$. Plus I look much better driving my f150 than he does in his rattle trap

I have a buddy that does that also. Never made much sense to me. After paying gas,license,insurance,tires,oil etc on the xtra rig and taking up a parking spot might save a couple hundred $$. Plus I look much better driving my f150 than he does in his rattle trap
I look at it as a longevity savings. I put probably the same amount of miles on my Civic as I do my Silverado each year. So that's half as many miles on my truck. Basically saved a year of driving on my truck. the $1200 truck tires last a bit longer now.

But my Civic miles are the one that's hard on my truck and the worst on MPG. Running around town, going to the store, running errands, etc. All places your trucks get door dings, carts running into them, etc. I could care less about my Civic as long as it has all its parts and it runs. Getting door dings on my 35K truck pisses me off. Door dings on my $1200 Civic doesn't bug me at all. Plus maintenance on it is cheap. No fancy oil changes for that thing. Now my truck is ready to go for long trips where I get my best mileage on it or when I need to go to the store for some lumber or haul a trailer.

Back