Mid-Size Pickup Truck

I own a 2015 f150 xlt screw, 3.5 eboost. long box, 4X4. Wedge cap. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg at 52 mph. The wind really affects mpg. I believe because of the high cap. 18-23 mpg at 65 mph, depending on the wind & load

I own a 2015 f150 xlt screw, 3.5 eboost. long box, 4X4. Wedge cap. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg at 52 mph. The wind really affects mpg. I believe because of the high cap. 18-23 mpg at 65 mph, depending on the wind & load
You must have had a good tailwind getting 30 MPG. I had a 2015 Explorer with the 3.5 EcoBoost before I bought my '18 Silverado, I could barely get 20-22 with that thing.

I never get the mileage that others claim to get. I do live in western Kansas where its always windy though.
Yeah and that's why I sold the Explorer. I figured why be limited on space for a meager 1-2 more MPG. I really enjoyed driving that Explorer daily. But hunting trips it really let me down and I had to pack so light whenever it was more than just me. And that was before I had 2 dogs.

I can't imagine that a full size truck has that much more space than an Explorer. The towing capacity is way different though, that I can confirm.
The kennels for my dogs would have fit no problem, but that would have taken up a good half, to 3/4 of the rear with the 2nd row folded. The explorer I had even had a 3rd row that I only used once when I took a short trip in town with 5 people.

The biggest issue (for my use) is that my hunting usually involves a 2.5-3 hour drive somewhere and I'm usually spending a night or 2 in a motel. That brings some extra gear needed compared to a short day trip. Then throw a 2nd or 3rd guy into the mix and it's tough.

I won't say that it CANT be done tho. As I did those trips multiple times with 2 other guys, 1 dog and gear to spend a night or 2 in a hotel. The problem is that it's just everything is tougher. Constantly moving gear in and out to get to something buried. No space for a big cooler or 2. And I had to be a little bit of a gear Nazi whenever someone rolled out their massive cooler that I didn't want taking up half the space.

Don't get me wrong, I did love that Explorer and I'd love to have it still for a daily driver. I even took it on multi state camp hunting trips, as far as the Big Horn mountains. Those trips usually involved renting a 5X8 U-Haul though to fit 2 guys and 2 dogs.

The biggest issue (for my use) is that my hunting usually involves a 2.5-3 hour drive somewhere and I'm usually spending a night or 2 in a motel. That brings some extra gear needed compared to a short day trip. Then throw a 2nd or 3rd guy into the mix and it's tough.
I thought it was just you and your dogs going hunting. My bad. I can see how it would get tight with multiple people on a multi-day trip.

I thought it was just you and your dogs going hunting. My bad. I can see how it would get tight with multiple people on a multi-day trip.
Yeah it just depends on the situation really. Sometimes I'm alone, other times with some others. There's definitely no perfect vehicle for every situation, that's for sure.

You must have had a good tailwind getting 30 MPG. I had a 2015 Explorer with the 3.5 EcoBoost before I bought my '18 Silverado, I could barely get 20-22 with that thing.
That particular day there was almost no wind. Even 15 miles out in Lake Erie there was hardly even a ripple! I pulled out on Lake Road right behind 3 tree trimming trucks. The last one had a large box on it for holding wood chips & broke up what air resistance there was. The Screw actually weighs less than an Expedition because of the aluminum body. I do not know how that compares to an Explorer. When you add the weight of the cap back in, it is probably about the same as an Expedition. I do not believe you can get a 3.31 gear in an Explorer either.

I never get the mileage that others claim to get. I do live in western Kansas where its always windy though.
I live 3 miles from the Lake Erie shore & I am a charter captain so I work on the lake & park within 100 yds of the shore when at work, so I travel the lakeshore frequently. Normally it is windy, as windy as w Kansas. Normally it is a crosswind driving home, going west.

Not even with the seats down? I can fit 2 kennels in the back of my wife's Escape with the seats folded down quite easily.
I drive an 2008 Escape and it is an extremely tight fit, but I get 2 boxes in.
Kennel widths 24 and 22s inches.
I get 24 mpg driving 70 miles per hour with the V6 in the Escape.

Did you have power seat on your Tacoma? I'm over 5'8 and have no issues. So I just drove my Tacoma and I certainly understand your comment on thighs not hitting the seat. Wouldn't really matter what the height of the driver was. It is a mid size truck issue. Can't understand why you all want to compare a mid size to a full size. Two totally different styles. You can't expect a compact truck to fit like a full size. That's ignorant. They don't compare. But a compact truck certainly fills a niche. Not for everyone. But one thing for sure, Toyota is the king of the compact truck.
Sorry if I offended your truck. As I noted I had owned a taco and found it uncomfortable. For those looking for a crew cab truck even in mid size this is one of the worst due to the design of the seats (practically on the floor). a Mid size truck with a back seat should be able to accommodate reasonable sized passengers. this one cannot. toyota has a decent engine but it hasn’t been updated in some time and as such when full size half ton trucks outperform it in every catatgory it’s time to look at others. I loved the look of the truck but it didn’t meet my needs and I wanted others to know before they spent hard earned money that this truck may not meet their basic needs. thats about it.

Some people were talking about spacers to rise the front of the seat in their Taco's. Must have been the issue of thighs not touching the seat. I can't remember the company name the spacers came front, but now that I know the reason for them, I may take another look...consider trying them.
I actually considered that too. But there is nohead room in the Tacoma so in the end I had to focus on something different. for the money there may be better choices.

Sorry if I offended your truck. As I noted I had owned a taco and found it uncomfortable. For those looking for a crew cab truck even in mid size this is one of the worst due to the design of the seats (practically on the floor). a Mid size truck with a back seat should be able to accommodate reasonable sized passengers. this one cannot. toyota has a decent engine but it hasn’t been updated in some time and as such when full size half ton trucks outperform it in every catatgory it’s time to look at others. I loved the look of the truck but it didn’t meet my needs and I wanted others to know before they spent hard earned money that this truck may not meet their basic needs. thats about it.
You didn't offend me but you didn't answer my question. Did your Tacoma have power seat? My neighbor is 6'2 and bought a Tacoma last summer after liking mine. I asked him if he had leg room. He said it wasn't much different from his Tundra, which he also owns. He has a power seat like mine. With the power seat you can do a lot more adjusting to achieve comfort. Without power seat you don't have the ability to raise and lower the seat. The interior of the Tacoma with that soft leather blew the Ranger and Canyon out of the water for me.

You didn't offend me but you didn't answer my question. Did your Tacoma have power seat? My neighbor is 6'2 and bought a Tacoma last summer after liking mine. I asked him if he had leg room. He said it wasn't much different from his Tundra, which he also owns. He has a power seat like mine. With the power seat you can do a lot more adjusting to achieve comfort. Without power seat you don't have the ability to raise and lower the seat. The interior of the Tacoma with that soft leather blew the Ranger and Canyon out of the water for me.
Yes, I had the power seat in my Tacoma TRD crew. I tried lots of adjustments but the biggest factor was the lack of support relative to the bottoms of the legs. unless you lay the seats back excessively you can’t find a comfortable position. ive owned Toyotas before and while the trucks are mostly bullet proof they also don’t get updates nearly as often, in this case I had a 2010 was my last new one. I’ve since owned a 2011 f150 4x4screw with 5.0 and currently a 2018 crew with 3.5 ecoboost. Both these motors made much more horsepower and at the same time matched the truck in fuel economy and the ecoboost beat it by 25% in fuel mileage.

Back