Mid-Size Pickup Truck

With the price of used cars at this time, it might not be practical to look at buying a beater right now. The up front cost probably isn't going to pay off. Munster already has one so in his case it seems to make sense.

The thing I would worry about most is the reliability. Older vehicles are less reliable than newer ones (generally) and even if its properly maintained, the chances of something happening while you're out on the road or at a destination goes up with every mile it has on the odometer.
Gim, If you are concerned about reliability, do some research. See who makes the most reliable cars and SUV's in the world. With my line of work I research stuff to death. I spend more tire researching tires than most people spend researching their ride, lol

I've only put 78k on mine in 12 years. I don't think I'll live to see 300k:(.
That covey from last winter will still be there in six months, easy way to put a 1000 miles on that taco dude! FYI we are finally getting rain by the buckets, 9 inches so far this year… got 11 all of last year

That covey from last winter will still be there in six months, easy way to put a 1000 miles on that taco dude! FYI we are finally getting rain by the buckets, 9 inches so far this year… got 11 all of last year
Don't know what county but out here we are getting very little. Very dry. What little CRP that is left will get cut this year.

Gim, If you are concerned about reliability, do some research. See who makes the most reliable cars and SUV's in the world. With my line of work I research stuff to death. I spend more tire researching tires than most people spend researching their ride, lol
It depends who is doing the research. Some, like JD Power will have Chevrolet towards the top 5, most others have them towards the bottom of reliability. Toyota is generally one of the most reliable along with Lexus and Kia. If I were buying anything other than a pick up, I would have Kia at the top of the list.

Don't know what county but out here we are getting very little. Very dry. What little CRP that is left will get cut this year.
We’ve been in the right spot past 10 days, I live in Amarillo but track eastern Oklahoma and panhandle region. I hope some of these systems push your way, the land is finally showing life, hopefully birds will respond the same

We’ve been in the right spot past 10 days, I live in Amarillo but track eastern Oklahoma and panhandle region. I hope some of these systems push your way, the land is finally showing life, hopefully birds will respond the same
I have a couple of roosters that stay around the yard but just not seeing much for birds anywhere.

I have a couple of roosters that stay around the yard but just not seeing much for birds anywhere.
Let me clarify our pheasant days are long gone, 2011 smoked them except for a few prime places. Just enjoy listening to you guys speak of pheasant… all my eggs are in the quail basket down here

Having owned both the Toyota Tacoma crew cab and the f150 crew cab I’d never go back to the Tacoma. Not because I didn’t like it, but mainly due to the discomfort on any length of trip. The reason the Tacoma has more ground clearance is the floor pan is elevated. This causes an issue where if your over about 5’8” the bottom of your thighs don’t make contact with the seat bottom. This causes undue fatigue and low back pain after any length of drive. also, the back seat has -0- room under it and if you have more than about size 5 foot you have nowhere to put your feet. have a six foot plus son who cant ride in the back without having to tilt his head to the side due to no head room.
Even my 2011 f150 with 5.0 got better hwy fuel mileage and huge power boost over the Taco. If garage space is an issue the extended cab version of the f150 has way more comfort and fits a standard garage. No Tacoma in this household.

Having owned both the Toyota Tacoma crew cab and the f150 crew cab I’d never go back to the Tacoma. Not because I didn’t like it, but mainly due to the discomfort on any length of trip. The reason the Tacoma has more ground clearance is the floor pan is elevated. This causes an issue where if your over about 5’8” the bottom of your thighs don’t make contact with the seat bottom. This causes undue fatigue and low back pain after any length of drive. also, the back seat has -0- room under it and if you have more than about size 5 foot you have nowhere to put your feet. have a six foot plus son who cant ride in the back without having to tilt his head to the side due to no head room.
Even my 2011 f150 with 5.0 got better hwy fuel mileage and huge power boost over the Taco. If garage space is an issue the extended cab version of the f150 has way more comfort and fits a standard garage. No Tacoma in this household.
Some people were talking about spacers to rise the front of the seat in their Taco's. Must have been the issue of thighs not touching the seat. I can't remember the company name the spacers came front, but now that I know the reason for them, I may take another look...consider trying them.

Did you have power seat on your Tacoma? I'm over 5'8 and have no issues. So I just drove my Tacoma and I certainly understand your comment on thighs not hitting the seat. Wouldn't really matter what the height of the driver was. It is a mid size truck issue. Can't understand why you all want to compare a mid size to a full size. Two totally different styles. You can't expect a compact truck to fit like a full size. That's ignorant. They don't compare. But a compact truck certainly fills a niche. Not for everyone. But one thing for sure, Toyota is the king of the compact truck.

Last edited:
Rogue, Look on IH8Mud site. I'm sure guys there have probably track extensions and solutions for your seats. Great Site for anything Toyota.

Some people were talking about spacers to rise the front of the seat in their Taco's. Must have been the issue of thighs not touching the seat. I can't remember the company name the spacers came front, but now that I know the reason for them, I may take another look...consider trying them.
If you have power seat I don't know how the spacers could possibly help. With power seat you can raise your seat and put your head through the roof.

You better watch it or you might have a fat old man and two muddy dogs sleeping on your couch!

Found them! They're called Seat Jackers, From a company called Desert Does It. There are Jackers for both front and back. Raise just the front 1", or back and front. It should put your thighs on the seat.

Found them! They're called Seat Jackers, From a company called Desert Does It. There are Jackers for both front and back. Raise just the front 1", or back and front. It should put your thighs on the seat.
Cool, Hope they work for you Rogue, Check out the Mud site, you can find almost anything there.

Last edited:
Gim, If you are concerned about reliability, do some research. See who makes the most reliable cars and SUV's in the world.
I have a 2023 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid on order. We placed the order in February and its supposed to be ready around Labor Day.

Its primarily going to be my wife's daily commuter though. I'm not quite ready to make the full jump to EV yet so this hybrid version is a first step. I'm sick of buying gasoline all the time for our vehicles.

Gim, Well good luck with it. I have had tremendous reliability with all of my Toyotas. I use synthetic oil Mobile One. Change the belts every 100K miles, hoses and water pumps. I sure wish I had bought a Prius instead of a Corolla years ago. Remember Toyota demands better parts quality from their suppliers than most car manufactures. Hence the reliability goes way up. Look up the IH8Mud site and you will find neat stuff for your new Rav. I took my Landcruiser (425K miles on it) to northern Ontario a couple of years ago. 40 hour drive, no problems....

Back