Parkin' lot at the huntin' spot

Bob Peters

I'm sure this topic comes up almost every year. So far the areas I parked at seem in good shape. If I see some litter I throw it in the bed of the truck. I know it's common to see bird feathers laying around, but if you choose to field dress your birds there, please make an attempt to dispose of the guts in an appropriate manner. One spot there was a bunch of pheasant guts lying around and the dogs of course kept trying to eat or chew on all the remnants.

I'm sure this topic comes up almost every year. So far the areas I parked at seem in good shape. If I see some litter I throw it in the bed of the truck. I know it's common to see bird feathers laying around, but if you choose to field dress your birds there, please make an attempt to dispose of the guts in an appropriate manner. One spot there was a bunch of pheasant guts lying around and the dogs of course kept trying to eat or chew on all the remnants.
My guess is that the folks on this site aren't the problem, but you make a valid point either way. Hunters that don't leave a place cleaner than they found it are a problem. That's said, at one of the last public places I hunted, some human had left a big greasy pile right on the edge of the parking area, along with about 1/2 a roll of very used paper towel in the grass. Try as I may to keep him away from it, Ace eventually got to it & had a few bites, the disgusting little dork. No kisses from him the rest of the afternoon.

You are lucky that Ace didn't complete the alligator roll on the pile left by an inconsiderate slob. It makes a very long ride home much longer.
Just when I was giving the human race a little credit. Happens in large public parks in urban areas too.

My son and I named an area the "Bird Piler" as where we parked there were probably 30 or more breasted out carcasses, fairly fresh. I understand field dressing the birds but at least throw the carcass and guts away from the parking areas. One year I camped in Nebraska for my bird hunt and was at a remote state facility, it seemed this was the place to gut your deer. I had a devil of a time keeping my dogs from the gut piles. Just a pet peeve of mine but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

This thread brings up a question we were just discussing. Is cleaning birds at public land parking spots or along the road legal? Didn’t try to look it up in the laws but was just a topic after driving past a place and seeing that was done.

This thread brings up a question we were just discussing. Is cleaning birds at public land parking spots or along the road legal? Didn’t try to look it up in the laws but was just a topic after driving past a place and seeing that was done.
It’s not legal on Federal Land. Several years ago in SD we had shot a limit of birds on the Sand Lake refuge. There were five of us and since I new it was not legal there we pulled off the road across from it at a small turn around. We were only splitting them and field dressing them. I had a trash bag and was doing a good job of collecting 95% of the feathers. Of course it was December and there was snow and a windchill of negative whatever. We were in a hotel that did not have facilities for cleaning. About the time we were done a blacked out suburban sped in and a federal warden in street clothes badge and gun jumped out of the passenger side and went off on me about how we were violating the rules of the refuge. I told him we weren’t on the refuge and the one driving came out and told us it was a warning and jumped in and left. I still don’t know if we were wrong or not. But I suspect if I was making a big mess they could have gotten us for littering. It was a little weird. Kinda like we had stolen secret documents or something.😂😂

damn, common sense not in the room, once again.

I don't want to "generalize", but the entitlement of people is ridiculous.... the lack of care, respect, pride... seriously. I'm glad Bob picks stuff up and is respectful, but what about the next gen? I just got my oil changed today and the guy was in the business for 40 years. I was really happy to talk to a guy like him, damn funny too. These young gens... sorry, they just suck, they annoy me, they are boring and irrelevent. Do they know any better? I meet some young gen's that are pretty respectful and it's awesome to meet nice young fellas/gals but the majority are a bunch of entitled idiots. I just hired one. TikTok and helicopter parenting... I have a lot questions, but I know zero. All I know is I was a entitled Gen X'er till I started my own business and realized I wasn't that special. I was a complete know it all shithead. My Dad was poor and my mom came from a rich family. So they fought about how to raise me and my Dad ultimately gave up. My Dad also told me how "good I have it" and "how crappy he had it". Once I gave up on handouts from my Mom, I became successful. Take that that for what it is. Slob hunters, entitled hunters, etc... just crappy parenting in my opinion and no pride of this country, job, people, etc. Hunting unfortunately is dying and so is the respect. I'm in the business. I call it as I see it and that's that. I don't like it. A lot of people I know think it's a political Red/Blue issue and it's not. It's a human and parenting issue. How do people get educated if they are indoctrinated for failure? And we sit and wonder why every empire statistically fails every 250 years and ends in gender issues. Success for me came when I stopped getting handouts from my mother and I now pick up trash everywhere just like Bob is stating. Pride.

Last edited:
My guess is that the folks on this site aren't the problem, but you make a valid point either way. Hunters that don't leave a place cleaner than they found it are a problem. That's said, at one of the last public places I hunted, some human had left a big greasy pile right on the edge of the parking area, along with about 1/2 a roll of very used paper towel in the grass. Try as I may to keep him away from it, Ace eventually got to it & had a few bites, the disgusting little dork. No kisses from him the rest of the afternoon.
I knew Ace couldn't be as perfect as he seemed!;)

If the weather is not too bad, I usually try and find a creek bridge with a pull off. I don't throw anything in the water but it's nice to wash your hands and tools. You can get out of the wind and leave the guts for the critters. If it's cold with no cleaning facilities, I can do a pretty good job in the motel room with split trash bags spread out. I've only made a mess once. Last morning carried the cooler in and put some water in it so we could rinse in the field and re-ice for the ride home. For some reason I started to set my end down. Bloody water rushed to my end, and it slipped from my hand. Made hell of a mess. Soaked it up with every towel we had rinsed and repeated.

If it’s warm, I cool my birds in my yeti knock off with ice later the day they’ve been shot. If it’s cool out, they are either in the back of my truck or in an unheated garage. Either way, they’re untouched when I get home and breast them out, and take thigh medallions. Been doing this for 15 years, very rare having any issues.

No, not in parking lots!!
A couple of years ago I pulled into a parking area of a fish/game put and take release area where a fellow and his teen age daughter were at their truck. Daughter in the bed with the leased dog and dad cleaning birds and throwing guts/feathers over the fence into the weeds. When I questioned the wisdom of his act his reply was his dog was under control and would not bother the guts. He didn’t have any comment when I pointed out that he just ruined my hunt since my dog would find them as would any other dogs that came along. How would he feel if his dog got into the mess left by slob hunters?
Would be interesting to know the conversation between him and his daughter on the ride home

If it’s warm, I cool my birds in my yeti knock off with ice later the day they’ve been shot. If it’s cool out, they are either in the back of my truck or in an unheated garage. Either way, they’re untouched when I get home and breast them out, and take thigh medallions. Been doing this for 15 years, very rare having any is
Are you talking about a day hunt or leaving them for days before cleaning/ I would think the skin would't come off very good after a few days.

Lol that country song I’m a member of the country club has been stuck in my head now for 2 days

Everybody fill in and add a verse I’ll start

Parkin lot out at the huntin spot I saw her making eyes at me. There was trash around and we started gettin down

I’m a member of the huntin club , huntin pheasants is what I love, goose drives an old ford pickup truck. we do our drinking from a Dixie cup

Last edited:
Back