Bumper Color

jonnyB

Has anyone found bumper color makes a difference? I have a blaze orange bumper and normally the dog has no problems picking it up. Lately I noticed he would run by it - wondering if he's going blind? The dog is 12 and not showing blind tenancies.

I did some research and found one trainer that uses white, black or black and white bumpers. Never blaze orange...

I bought a white bumper wondering if it made a difference, and it did. He picked it up every time! By the way, he's a terrible marker, but quite adept at finding cripples.

Anyone else have this experience? I think I'll stay with white from now on...

It probably appears as a brown bumper. I put a few drops of pheasant scent on the pup’s orange bumpers.

Years ago I read orange appears gray to dogs so I started scenting them. This new article says brown. Whatever. I want her to use her nose anyway

Dogs are color blind. Need to watch a black and white TV to "see" thru your dogs eyes. I know there are some seniors here that remember BW TV.
Orange are for us and blind retrieves. Debate continues as researchers try to decide what dogs actually see. If only dogs could talk, then we would know. Probably just subtle shade differences.

Last edited:
My last lab would only pick up an Orange one. He would not retrieve sticks of any kind. He was an excellent marker on downed birds.

I prefer the orange ones in the event that my dog can't find it, then my failing eyesight has a puncher's chance of finding it in the tall grass!

Have exclusively used the orange...until now; it appears he doesn't do well with the color. I'll stick with white.

As a general rule white or white/black is used for marking and orange for blinds. Dogs are not color blind but see colors very muted so white shows up the best for marks, and conversely orange, yellow etc. are harder to see so you use them on blinds wear the dog shouldn't depend on scent or sight to find the bird.
Occasionally I will throw orange bumpers in very low cover, or for very short marks to increase the difficulty.
I doubt your dog is going blind, but I bet he doesn't see as well as he used to. Now where did i put my damn cheaters??

As a general rule white or white/black is used for marking and orange for blinds. Dogs are not color blind but see colors very muted so white shows up the best for marks, and conversely orange, yellow etc. are harder to see so you use them on blinds wear the dog shouldn't depend on scent or sight to find the bird.
Occasionally I will throw orange bumpers in very low cover, or for very short marks to increase the difficulty.
I doubt your dog is going blind, but I bet he doesn't see as well as he used to. Now where did i put my damn cheaters??
Gatsby,

Thanks for your insight...appreciated. Guess I'm sensitive to the dogs sight et al - had one do go blind at age 8. And I'm noticing he doesn't hear very well direction ally. Both of us are getting old, I guess; I'll be 85 in January and he's 12!

Back