Semi auto or break action shotgun?

Oh, boy. Here we go. :eye roll:

I'm not saying anyone who shoots a side by side or over/under is pretentious, just saying that I would feel that way if I did.
I used to feel the exact same way. Shot a 37 feather weight 20 I got for my 13 birthday for many years. Bought a 1100 in the 80’s and a 1187 in the 90’s. Thought I needed a Benelli about 2000. Had a buddy that loved the double guns ( he is a little boojee with his LL Bean and flavored coffee 😂). I swore them off. Well funny thing is after his fourth or fifth marriage was tanking he found himself in a bind and asked me if I would by one of his guns. He owed me a couple hundred already, but offered me a Browning Citori 16 for 750 bucks. I really didn’t want it but it was a good deal. That was ten years ago and it is all I use. I guess I better buy some flavored coffee

I used to feel the exact same way. Shot a 37 feather weight 20 I got for my 13 birthday for many years. Bought a 1100 in the 80’s and a 1187 in the 90’s. Thought I needed a Benelli about 2000. Had a buddy that loved the double guns ( he is a little boojee with his LL Bean and flavored coffee 😂). I swore them off. Well funny thing is after his fourth or fifth marriage was tanking he found himself in a bind and asked me if I would by one of his guns. He owed me a couple hundred already, but offered me a Browning Citori 16 for 750 bucks. I really didn’t want it but it was a good deal. That was ten years ago and it is all I use. I guess I better buy some flavored coffee
I'm sure I'd love one, if I got into hunting with one. But for now, I'll just be stubborn. lol

I'm sure I'd love one, if I got into hunting with one. But for now, I'll just be stubborn. lol
Speaking from experience, what can at least mostly curb the desire for a floofy gun (for how long, I'm not sure) is a NEW A5 Sweet 16 & a couple cases of bismuth. Keep that in mind when (not if) you feel the desire for a multi-$1,000 shotgun creeping up on you.

I have a Citori lighting in 16ga as well , it is my go to pheasant gun.

I have a Browning 525 in 28ga that (for me) I shoot very well wish I could use it for pheasant, but I dont think its enough gun as a general rule.

Break action O/U or SxS. I absolutely despise autoloaders. All that mechanical stuff moving around, the weird feel as it autoloads, the jams and do not ejects......
Have never once in all my decades of hunting ever had a break action gun do any of that.
And I don't need 5 shots or even 3. If i don't kill something in two shots then it wasn't meant to be killed and leaves more game for the next hunt.

I went to an O/U to make myself a better shot. I feel I am a fair wingshooter and love the feel and weight of my O/U 16. But recently I have been looking at some semi-auto shotguns for upland hunting. I have plently of pumps and goose guns that shoot 3 1/2" shells. I am really contemplating a semi auto that cycles fast and can handle lighter loads.

Over the years I've shot pumps, autos, O/U's and SxS's. All good guns that I shot quite well except for one SKB O/U with 30" tubes that I absolutely couldn't hit the "broad side of a barn" with. Now I'm down to a new A5 SweetSixteen and Citori White Lightning 16 ga. For hunting I use the Sweet the most. The Citori gets used mainly for field trials but does see some hunting time also. Guns like so many other things comes down to personal preference and what you shoot the best.

Weird. In all of my decades of hunting, my Benelli autoloader hasn't jammed or fail to eject either.
I’m calling BS on that one! My wife never farts too! 🥴 Prefer the auto but ready for a new challenge. Gonna shoot a few with my new sxs this year. My next bucket list gun is A5 sweet sixteen, those feel and look really nice. Was shooting clays last weekend and fooled around with buddy’s new A300. Loved the way it shot, bolt release, and how easy it was to feed the shells in, nice and open and loose feed spring. Don’t know how easy they are to break down and clean and read they had trigger issues and a weird plug.

I think it all depends on the mood of the day, the feeling you get when you wake up that morning. Is it a casual hunting day where you’re going to take in the sights and enjoy the day in the field with the dog or is the snow coming down sideways and you’re going to battle against the pheasant.
I’ve had the privilege of both. Days in the field and guns.
I started with an 870 pump for many years and then moved on to a Benelli SBE, then the collection started from auto loaders in ever “B” brand gun to over and unders.
Yes the autoloaders jam and I have found some to be more brand specific when it comes to shot shells the O/U will shoot anything you can shove in the pipe and swing/balance is better.
So what kind of day is it?

I think it all depends on the mood of the day, the feeling you get when you wake up that morning. Is it a casual hunting day where you’re going to take in the sights and enjoy the day in the field with the dog or is the snow coming down sideways and you’re going to battle against the pheasant.
I’ve had the privilege of both. Days in the field and guns.
I started with an 870 pump for many years and then moved on to a Benelli SBE, then the collection started from auto loaders in ever “B” brand gun to over and unders.
Yes the autoloaders jam and I have found some to be more brand specific when it comes to shot shells the O/U will shoot anything you can shove in the pipe and swing/balance is better.
So what kind of day is it?
Same as I feel, one day may be a Benelli montefeltro 20ga with a 24" barrel next day might be my 20ga Browning 725 feather. Depends on the day and where I'm at.

I went to an O/U to make myself a better shot. I feel I am a fair wingshooter and love the feel and weight of my O/U 16. But recently I have been looking at some semi-auto shotguns for upland hunting. I have plently of pumps and goose guns that shoot 3 1/2" shells. I am really contemplating a semi auto that cycles fast and can handle lighter loads.
Don't do it Golden boy! If you do, then you'll look just like all the other shmucks in the field. That's why I shoot a double. I may not be able to hit crap, but I look good!!:)

Back