Semi auto or break action shotgun?

Just a whimsical Sunday morning question , when upland game hunting what do you prefer a semi auto or break action shotgun? The seconded part of the question then is why? , Is it balance and handling ? Is it that you shoot that shotgun better then any other in your collection? Is it (if its a semi auto) having the extra round 2 vs 3? Or maybe its sentimental ie...it was dad or grand dads gun passed down to you. I will chime in with my thoughts in a bit after or if this gets any response.
Started out years ago, with pump shotguns and still have numerous ones in the safe. When I thought I needed something more fancy/prettier I opted to get an over/under. Have several today in the safe. A few years ago I found myself traveling more to hunt. That year I had a minor shoulder injury and needed something different so I went with my first semiauto. While great when shooting as the recoil was significantly less the shotgun my buddy loaned was a fairly heavy gun and I found myself struggling at the end of the day pheasant hunting. Just difficult getting the barrel of this particular Beretta shotgun up. About that time WInchester introduced a new 12 gauge shotgun- SX4. The 12 gauge weighs in at about 6 1/2 lbs and 20 ga a few ounces lighter. Comes in left or right hand versions and about 6 different camo, 2 wood versions and a black synthetic. I love the gun as it has oversized bolt release as well as safety and trigger guard. Pretty important if you hunt in inclement weather. This has been my go to semiauti shotgun since 2016 and just recently bought a 20 ga version in camo. Price point on new is between 650 and about 950 for their upland wood version. They also make a compact model with a 13 inch LOP for shorter stature people. They all come with 2 quarter inch spacers if you need to change the LOP on them.
just my two cents.

Attachments

• 4092C69D-0466-469E-980B-01D3B940ABA7.jpeg
    4092C69D-0466-469E-980B-01D3B940ABA7.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I’m calling BS on that one!
The only autoloader I've ever had was a Benelli Montrefelto. I've had it for 16 years now and it has literally never misfired or jammed. Bear in mind I only use it for pheasant hunting and I don't hunt in the rain. I also clean it regularly and have it professionally taken apart and cleaned every few years.

I had a Remington 870 prior to that for about 10 years and that thing jammed several times. You ask, how do you jam a pump? Well, it happened more than once. The empty would get hung up trying to eject on the next shell coming up from the magazine.

The only autoloader I've ever had was a Benelli Montrefelto. I've had it for 16 years now and it has literally never misfired or jammed. Bear in mind I only use it for pheasant hunting and I don't hunt in the rain. I also clean it regularly and have it professionally taken apart and cleaned every few years.

I had a Remington 870 prior to that for about 10 years and that thing jammed several times. You ask, how do you jam a pump? Well, it happened more than once. The empty would get hung up trying to eject on the next shell coming up from the magazine.
I 'suggest several in several gages. Then you can have all bases covered . Use the old take out 2 and return with 3 Wife fooler trick. Worked for me !

I hunted with a Nova since I was 16 up until I nabbed a Wingmaster Magnum and 1100 in a trade. After nailing a double in my first outing with the 1100, I couldn't go back to the pump. I use the Wingmaster when I'm out with my dad since that's what he hunts with and we can see who's the better shot (him by far after 35 years of hunting with that gun). I picked up an O/U for the first time last year and I'm still getting used to shooting it. The 1100 is a bit heavier than most of my other guns, but it points and swings so well that it's hard not to pick it.

Back