Vehicles

My dogs get skunked around the neighborhood. It's happened 3 times over the years, once even in the back yard.

In all my hunting in Kansas, I've seen a dog get skunked in the field once. I hunt out of an Suburban and so I keep a skunk kit in truck during the season. It's just the normal recipe of a full, unopened, quart of peroxide, the smallest bottle of dawn dish detergent I can find, and ziplock bag containing the appropriate amount of baking soda and a rag for applying the mixture. It all fits in a tupperware-type jug that's designed for beverages. I throw the whole thing under the backseat and forget about it.

As for subarus, my standard joke is that when you buy a new one, they'll pre-apply your choice of the following bumper stickers:
  • Coexist
  • Bernie 2016
  • Bernie 2020
  • (going way back to my high school and college days) Mean People Suck
I don't Know how I missed this one! NOW I'M OFFENDED AGAIN! MATTO, I bet an old white extremist dude!!😂

I am surprised by the number of posters on here that have had skunk problems with their dogs. I've been pheasant hunting for 25 years and I've never ran into one.
You are lucky but mine have only been skunked twice in about 45 years but that is enough for me!

i've had an s.u.v. since returning to hunting 27 years ago. i suppose my dog getting skunked might lead to rethinking that.

currently have a '10 4Runner that now has 211,000 miles on it. i never pulled the dipstick until it had 199,900 miles, 100 miles shy of due for an oil change. full. not looking for another rig.

I continue with my 4x4 Tacoma, as worry about the dog getting sprayed by a skunk. In an SUV, a lot of grouse hunters seem to like the Subaru, Outback and Forester.
As an aside, try NoRoma odor eliminator if bowser chews on a stinky. You will have to contact the manufacturer for a local source. http://threeleafinc.com/ Very benign copper based deodorant that works on all organic odors. A friend of mine had his lab hosed down by a skunk. He was driving an Avalanche, it was very cold and he was a hour from home. We used the NoRoma on the dog and he rode home in the truck.

There's more to it for me than just upland hunting. I need a full size truck to haul around a dead deer, an ATV, and a boat too. If I had an SUV, I'd need an ATV trailer, and there's no freaking way I'm putting a gutted dead deer in the back of an SUV.

I considered a Ford Ranger but when I compared the mileage between it and and F-150, it wasn't that much. And the second I hook up my boat, the mileage on the Ranger plummets whereas the mileage on the F-150 is minimal when towing. Plus an ATV won't fit in the bed of a Ranger.

Another reason is the price tag. Big SUVs are outrageously priced. The salesman tried talking me into an Expedition instead of an F-150 and it was more than double the cost. That conversation ended quickly.

Made me chuckle! When I moved to Nebraska from Iowa, one of the first things I bought was a bolt action .270 for deer. My rig at the time was an ‘03 Ford Escape, which made a pretty fair upland ride but it meant I could only shoot small deer.
That’s my story anyway...

You can always put a hitchhauler on the back of your SUV. Last deer I shot weighed in at about 185 pounds. He fit nicely on the hauler.

I've driven nothing but SUV's since the mid 1970's starting with a '73 International Scout, a couple of Ford Broncos, two Jeeps (Cherokee & Grand Wagoneer), 3 Ford Explorers and 2 Ford Expeditions. Last year I sold my latest Expedition and bought a 2021 GMC Acadia. Still has plenty of room for what I need and I love the gas mileage (24-28 Hwy). Like what was said above, the only drawback of a SUV is if your dog gets into a skunk. But I haven't had that happen for over 10 years. I wouldn't let that deter me from getting a SUV. I like having my dog inside, especially in bad weather.
My dogs really like being inside where there is HEAT! for late Season froze up / iced up dogs. Especially when they are tired.

i've had an s.u.v. since returning to hunting 27 years ago. i suppose my dog getting skunked might lead to rethinking that.

currently have a '10 4Runner that now has 211,000 miles on it. i never pulled the dipstick until it had 199,900 miles, 100 miles shy of due for an oil change. full. not looking for another rig.
I've got an '11 Tundra, 140,000 miles, I have yet to pull the dipstick. I'm due for an upgrade, but with the way the market is, I'm waiting. Unfortunately the new Tundra that I test drove just didn't feel like a full size pickup. I have no idea which way I will go this time around.

I've got an '11 Tundra, 140,000 miles, I have yet to pull the dipstick. I'm due for an upgrade, but with the way the market is, I'm waiting. Unfortunately the new Tundra that I test drove just didn't feel like a full size pickup. I have no idea which way I will go this time around.
I had an 07 Tundra and just loved that truck expect when it came to do repairs very costly compared to the big 3. It had 240K miles so I couldn't complain much was a great truck. I bought a 2018 Ram crew cab, this truck is very nice and get much better gas mileage then my tundra with the same size engine, 5.7. I feel you money goes a lot further with the Ram then GM or Ford. I'm not brand loyal have owned a pickup from each of the big 3 and tundra. I had very good experiences with them all, but when i do get in the market for a new truck it will be a tough sell to go away from the Ram. I was hoping Toyota was going to do something to improve the MPG for the new tundra's but they didn't, maybe the next iteration will be competitive with the big 3.

13 Tundra with a topper. Love the truck. If I baby it itll do 17 mpg on the hwy in warmer weather. 2 carseats in the huge backseat. Room for dogs on the floor but the puppy is getting put in the back in a box once it warms up a bit. Havent really challenged this thing like past trucks but havent stuck it in the snow yet. Im sure I will eventually.

Yearly trips hunting and out of state hunts to NODak, I have considered selling my 2018 f150 screw for a late model expedition. While we also own a Subaru Forester there are usually 2 of us plus at least 2 dogs when we travel and hunt out of state. Love the ecoboost for power and fuel mileage. About the worst mileage 17 mpg I get is traveling through Montana where the speeds can get up near 90 mph when hurrying. Fuel mileage these days is a significant part of travel costs.
I do question whether I will have sufficient room in the expedition. The F150 with 6 1/2 ft bed and canopy is about the right size to make everything easier loading but as an old guy I hate it when I have to crawl in the back. My dogs also ride in the cab so there is a bit of concern about skunking/ injuries.

Back