Vehicles

My
Yeah, i love my Tacoma. bought new in 2011. I've barely opened the hood for 11 years. I'm retired and I'm tired of trying to organize trips every year. So, I'm anticipating some solos. I want something comfortable with decent mpg. A used Subaru Outback before cvt or a jeep Cherokee are at the top of my list. I would like to buy Merican, but It's hard to argue about the Japs! ( birdman2's Landcruiser
Yeah, i love my Tacoma. bought new in 2011. I've barely opened the hood for 11 years. I'm retired and I'm tired of trying to organize trips every year. So, I'm anticipating some solos. I want something comfortable with decent mpg. A used Subaru Outback before cvt or a jeep Cherokee are at the top of my list. I would like to buy Merican, but It's hard to argue about the Japs! ( birdman2's Landcruiser)
My wife drives a outback with the turbo v6 and it will smoke my tacoma, but there is no way I could fit half my gear in in the car.

What does each stencil represent, trips, limits...or? Does the dog exit/enter through the side windows? Yes, for the gas mileage I get on my Tacoma, I wish I'd bought a F150.
The doors are hinged at the top. Stencils are days in the field… need to smoke a brisket and catch up, I’m about 30 behind.

Bird dude I have to much crap for sure.
3-5 dogs on the average, I’m blessed to live in good quail country but it’s an hour from my house to any I have permission on, two hours to my good stuff. That truck is a rolling shop/motel room/medic van!

Bird dude I have to much crap for sure.
3-5 dogs on the average, I’m blessed to live in good quail country but it’s an hour from my house to any I have permission on, two hours to my good stuff. That truck is a rolling shop/motel room/medic van!
Got any extra bedrooms you want to rent out next season?:sick:

I've driven nothing but SUV's since the mid 1970's starting with a '73 International Scout, a couple of Ford Broncos, two Jeeps (Cherokee & Grand Wagoneer), 3 Ford Explorers and 2 Ford Expeditions. Last year I sold my latest Expedition and bought a 2021 GMC Acadia. Still has plenty of room for what I need and I love the gas mileage (24-28 Hwy). Like what was said above, the only drawback of a SUV is if your dog gets into a skunk. But I haven't had that happen for over 10 years. I wouldn't let that deter me from getting a SUV. I like having my dog inside, especially in bad weather.
mpg not too shabby, I'll have a look at them..

Been taking my 2013 Ford Explorer to South Dakota last couple of years, get about 21 - 23 mpg with it. Plenty of room for two dogs and gear.

Yeah, i love my Tacoma. bought new in 2011. I've barely opened the hood for 11 years. I'm retired and I'm tired of trying to organize trips every year. So, I'm anticipating some solos. I want something comfortable with decent mpg. A used Subaru Outback before cvt or a jeep Cherokee are at the top of my list. I would like to buy Merican, but It's hard to argue about the Japs! ( birdman2's Landcruiser)
Birddude. I have 4 Toyotas. 2007 Lexus GX-245K miles on it, 2006 Corolla-310K miles on it, 1996 Landcruiser-410K miles on it, 1986 4-Runner 345K miles on it. If you buy something besides Toyota, I'm pretty darn sure you will live to regret it. 5 minutes of research will tell you hands down Toyota line is the most reliable. Those 4 Runners sure look good !!!

I put synthetic (Mobil 1) and 1 Qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil in at each oil change, and only Toyota oil filters

I would take any of them on a 6-8K mile trip tomorrow.

Birddude. I have 4 Toyotas. 2007 Lexus GX-245K miles on it, 2006 Corolla-310K miles on it, 1996 Landcruiser-410K miles on it, 1986 4-Runner 345K miles on it. If you buy something besides Toyota, I'm pretty darn sure you will live to regret it. 5 minutes of research will tell you hands down Toyota line is the most reliable. Those 4 Runners sure look good !!!

I put synthetic (Mobil 1) and 1 Qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil in at each oil change, and only Toyota oil filters

I would take any of them on a 6-8K mile trip tomorrow.
Believe me, I'm checking out the used 4 runners also!! But mpg do factor in. I have oversized tires and a topper on my Tacoma. I get around 17.

Believe me, I'm checking out the used 4 runners also!! But mpg do factor in. I have oversized tires and a topper on my Tacoma. I get around 17.
I have 33" tires on my Cruiser. I really like the ground clearance. If you compare a 4 Runner vs. Subaru on gas mileage, remember the cost of repairs on Subaru vs. 4 Runner. Gas mileage is important but repair cost should be figured into the total cost equation. Think about depreciation of each of them also. Which drops in value the quickest, etc. Most people don't even think about that. You are like me, you have some age on you. We are supposed to be wiser, lol

I have 33" tires on my Cruiser. I really like the ground clearance. If you compare a 4 Runner vs. Subaru on gas mileage, remember the cost of repairs on Subaru vs. 4 Runner. Gas mileage is important but repair cost should be figured into the total cost equation. Think about depreciation of each of them also. Which drops in value the quickest, etc. Most people don't even think about that. You are like me, you have some age on you. We are supposed to be wiser, lol
From my experience, Toyota sienna, rav4 and tundra and Subaru Crosstrek all repairs on these are more expensive then the big three. Reliability is second to non both rav4 and tundra both 250K plus and still going strong. The 07 tundra (15) mpg compared to my 18 Ram (19) is about 4 to 5 mpg difference both with 5.7 engines. The only problem I have with the toys if the engine light comes on it disables all traction control and 4x4, not sure if this has been corrected in newer models or not. Toys do hold their value better than the rest. Find the best fit for your needs and enjoy, all makes have their quirks.

There's more to it for me than just upland hunting. I need a full size truck to haul around a dead deer, an ATV, and a boat too. If I had an SUV, I'd need an ATV trailer, and there's no freaking way I'm putting a gutted dead deer in the back of an SUV.

I considered a Ford Ranger but when I compared the mileage between it and and F-150, it wasn't that much. And the second I hook up my boat, the mileage on the Ranger plummets whereas the mileage on the F-150 is minimal when towing. Plus an ATV won't fit in the bed of a Ranger.

Another reason is the price tag. Big SUVs are outrageously priced. The salesman tried talking me into an Expedition instead of an F-150 and it was more than double the cost. That conversation ended quickly.

some nice set ups here! DZEB - Your Intl Scout reminded me of my second guide job at the ripe age of 18; they had an International Travelall - four door - guessing early 70's vintage - that was a beast! we used it for planting birds and a little unapproved off roading🤣 Those vehicles were stout!
Used to be a Chevy PU guy, rented a Ford F-150 during fall Alberta 2016 trip, and came home and bought one; over the years went from 2 door to extended cab to crew cab; the big negative with crew cabs is bed size (unless you buy the full size bed - that's a long truck - but I may get that next time, just for the bed space).
Have always cut a 3/4" chunk of plywood that fits the bed, & covered it with carpet pad & carpet. This really helps the knees, and helps the dog crate bouncing as well.
The other comment is having good tires; my Ford F-150 came with All Season tires, and during 2020, had two flats the same day on our fall trip - both caused by rocks from the gravel roads (have had/changed lots of flats through the years - never a flat from gravel roads!)- those tires had around 45k & rated for 65k; so installed AT tires b4 winter trip.
Looking back, used to do concrete work part time for several years, which is the main reason I ended up using a PU for hunting as well. For years went with an aluminum topper for easy removal, etc. These days the fiberglass topper stays on.
Great thread!

Gas mileage is one thing and what happens when you hit a deer, elk, moose, etc. is another thing. I want to be in a big tank. I've put many miles on hunting with 4 dogs in a suburban with more extras than you can imagine(I hunt with my wife) and have always had enough room. I buy a vehicle that can fit 2 400 crates side by side in the back and that is my primary consideration. Rest is window dressing.

Gas mileage is one thing and what happens when you hit a deer, elk, moose, etc. is another thing. I want to be in a big tank. I've put many miles on hunting with 4 dogs in a suburban with more extras than you can imagine(I hunt with my wife) and have always had enough room. I buy a vehicle that can fit 2 400 crates side by side in the back and that is my primary consideration. Rest is window dressing.
Your wife is an extra🤣

We all have different needs and concerns when it comes to vehicles. I pull four different trailers, one 6x12 cargo trailer loaded with decoys and waterfowling equipment for 10 days across the prairie states. Traveling with either two sons and four dogs or two hunting friends and four dogs is more the norm for me. How about a road trip with four grandchildren? Often we pull a smaller cargo trailer just for all our hunting gear and food supplies when a class three back rack is not enough. I have seen some very unsafe conditions for the dogs over the years like loose in a cargo trailer. Think safe. For me and my dogs it is a Suburban for over 40 years. Try to find a used one with low miles. Picture on Managing for Huns

Back