Vehicles

I hunt out of a truck, and likely will always hunt out of a truck. Currently driving a 2020 Tundra and 2006 F-250. Wouldn't hesitate to jump in either this afternoon for a cross country bird trek. The Ford got the nod last fall to get a bit more bed room. I've been to South Dakota twice now (the last 2 years), and both times my dog got skunked. Made me glad to have the truck. Don't think the wife would have been too happy if I was in her SUV. To me, a truck is just handier. Can reach over the sides to move coolers and water jugs around, shell cases, etc. But, you do lose the security and weatherproofness a camper shell or an SUV offer. We typically hunt with 2 guys to a truck, so the backseat gets piled with the gear that needs secured. Have hunted 3 or 4 out of a truck, its doable, but stuff inevitably gets piled high and in a mess in the bed in front of the dog box.

There definitely is no one vehicle that first every person's needs, but I'm a truck and topper guy. But my needs are to commonly take 2 sometimes 3 dogs with 2 to 3 other people, drive 2 to 3 hours and hunt for a weekend.

I've had an Explorer before and it just didn't work once you got that extra guy and extra dog. Everything was cramped and the extra mpg savings I got didn't make up for me listening to myself bitch about how cramped it was, can't find this, etc 😂

Now if I only hunted alone and lived within an hour of my hunt location, I'd probably have an SUV.

We all have different needs and concerns when it comes to vehicles. I pull four different trailers, one 6x12 cargo trailer loaded with decoys and waterfowling equipment for 10 days across the prairie states. Traveling with either two sons and four dogs or two hunting friends and four dogs is more the norm for me. How about a road trip with four grandchildren? Often we pull a smaller cargo trailer just for all our hunting gear and food supplies when a class three back rack is not enough. I have seen some very unsafe conditions for the dogs over the years like loose in a cargo trailer. Think safe. For me and my dogs it is a Suburban for over 40 years. Try to find a used one with low miles. Picture on Managing for Huns
That pic. could have been of a Honda civic for all I knew, as I couldn't take my eyes off them Huns!!

The post was actually the link, If you were to click on it the page would have appeared. Looks as those were my words though
I think there was a similar issue with farming equipment, interesting article.

Last yr I did things a little different, drove my dodge Cummins and pulled a trailer with a buddies 4 runner loaded on it. We hunt the Lower Brule res. Put all the gear in the bed of the truck traveling up there and then loaded up the 4 runner for our daily trips to different areas. 2 dog boxes on a swing away hitch carrier. Worked great.

I prefer a pickup because of the possibility of skunks and dogs rolling in something dead. I might have told this story but my cousin took his dog and three buddies quail hunting about 100 miles from his home in his wife’s brand new conversion van. Dog got skunked and they drove home in 20* weather with windows down and side door open. Never could get the smell out of that conversion van and ended up selling it at a big loss. I would try an ozone generator now but this was in 1973. I had to hunt out of my wife’s 4 door Wrangler for a couple days this year and I hated it. I will always have a pickup.

The ozone generator works very well. You may still get a whiff but it's livable.

I have the capped pickup so skunked dogs go in the kennel there. Haven't every had to ozone a truck. However the house at camp attracts all kinds of critters during the off season. Primarily under the house but we did have coons get inside this year. Chewed through a wall. What a MESS! We have a friend up there run the ozone generator for a week before we come up. It seems to drive out the critters; they don't like it. It also kills the skunky, raccoon pissy and moldy smell real well.

Years ago after my dog getting skunked several times I bought an Ozone air freshener machine. My SUV would get pretty well skunked up on the way home. I put the unit in the vehicle, rolled up the windows and after a day no more smell. Mine has worked great.

Years ago after my dog getting skunked several times I bought an Ozone air freshener machine. My SUV would get pretty well skunked up on the way home. I put the unit in the vehicle, rolled up the windows and after a day no more smell. Mine has worked great.
I've never had one. How do they work in the house, We have two wires and a big mutt in the house, So you know what those smells like in the rainy season.

That's it!!! Now I'm offended!!😂 My son in laws dad calls them Lezbarus!🤣
My wife had one before we sent it with my daughter to Seattle. Youd see the same rose gold Suburu all over our neighborhood. The median age and drivers were mid 70s gray haired women. But for a hunting vehicle I think the forester with its square back cargo is a better fit than an outback.

I've never had one. How do they work in the house, We have two wires and a big mutt in the house, So you know what those smells like in the rainy season.
The ozone gens work well in a house. As mentioned we treat the hunt camp house every year, basement on up. Let it run a day or two each floor. A regularply occupied house wouldn’t need that. Caution: inhaling ozone is hazardous for living things, people, dogs, canaries, etc. Leavewhen it’s running, air it out before re-entry.

It definitely works. Car dealers use them on used cars owned by smokers

My wife had one before we sent it with my daughter to Seattle. Youd see the same rose gold Suburu all over our neighborhood. The median age and drivers were mid 70s gray haired women. But for a hunting vehicle I think the forester with its square back cargo is a better fit than an outback.
That's why I'm leaning towards a Subaru. My wife bought a new Forester last year. I really like it. Drives great, good gas milage. She say's I'm welcome to take it but, no way I'm facing her wrath when I get home! The outback has more floor space, also not sure how the 4 cyl. and cvt. would do In the forester loaded up with gear? Some of the used outback's have 6 cyl.

I am surprised by the number of posters on here that have had skunk problems with their dogs. I've been pheasant hunting for 25 years and I've never ran into one.

1965 AMC Rambler Classic 550 Cross Country Station Wagon

Wires are notorious for it. They like little fuzzy animals! Usually I have more trouble in Feb/March while just dogs. Thats skunks breeding season.

Back