Opener Countdown

jmnhunter

cant wait to head out west for the weekend, cant believe its almost here!

I'm interested to see what the wet conditions have done out west, can only imagine the cover should be plenty thick;
everyone else going out?

Opening week is always busy, but I'll go out this weekend, as always. My dad sued a guy back in the 80's, and got access to his land somehow, so I'll check that excellent ranch out, in central Mt . Pheasants are going to be spotty, like last year.

I will hunt the evening of opener skip the crazy morning crowds and people who like to crowd out a field. Hunt Sunday morning when half the people are already done for the year. Have some friends coming up from Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas this is our 7th year. It’s a tradition.

No time to hunt opening day, gonna try to sneak out for a couple hours Sunday morning. I am going to stick local, until the tractors start moving. I have already prepped the wife saying that I will hang around home in October, but come mid November and early December she may not see me much ;)

I will try and get out on Sunday afternoon, but opener is usually not my thing. There are too many people, and the crops are still in the fields everywhere (especially this year) to make it all the enjoyable. I want get out a bit just to get the dogs out and see what conditions look like. I think I will mostly stay on private ground for this. Good luck to everyone. I will be interested in hearing what people are seeing for numbers and conditions. This is going to be a really wet year. Hopefully come December we get some decent ice to walk on.

I found a really good place this summer, between Hilger, and Roy Montana. The guy knew my dad.It pays to scout in the summer.

the crowds can be a PITA and frustrating. We used to open up around the Marshall area and that was exactly that. Have to get to your spot a good 1.5 hours ahead of time, otherwise forget it. But the last few years are not that bad, but it could be the new location, but there have been times where a guy could walk opening hour spot and even find a second public piece that hadn't been touched yet

I'll go out on Sunday, probably focus on the afternoon/evening. Not sure what to expect this year, but will still hit my spots that have been productive in the past and probably try to find a couple new ones along the way.

Sleep in. Grab a late breakfast. Watch a college game or two. take a late lunch. Hit the field about 4, when everyone else is exhausted and gone. Rinse and repeat on Sunday after the noon game.

Hunt the rest of the season like this, until freeze up..

Montana just got pounded with snow recently, I'm assuming that most of it was in the mountains?

Yes, mostly on the west slope of the rockies,although great falls got 10 inches!! Cut Bank got 38! Crazy storm.Montana will be spotty this year.There will be areas that will be good.

Montana is my fall 2020 trip. Can’t wait.

Trevor we need to chat about this trip to Montana, not sure if it would be 2020 or 21 for me? Depends on how Lexie does this year, if it looks like she has another 3-4 years I might hold off till 21...

Trevor we need to chat about this trip to Montana, not sure if it would be 2020 or 21 for me? Depends on how Lexie does this year, if it looks like she has another 3-4 years I might hold off till 21...

We could go hunting together and talk about it😂. I’m for sure 2020 I want to get Georgia out there once.

Back