Crops will be up!!!

Took a little road trip today for the day off from work. Drove from Sioux Falls to just west of Mitchell taking back roads. Would guess that most of the crops are gonna be standing when the season gets under way. Besides silage being cut nothing looks ready to be coming out and still has a lot of green left in it. Gonna be a lot of fields left for birds to hide. But that being said finding a roosting place next to those fields will be the ticket. As mentioned before.

that and we are still 30 days from the opener...some more will be cut for silage by then.

The west river is always a more open than the east and early season friendly in my opinion. Seems you find more birds in the grass during the day.

The west river is always a more open than the east and early season friendly in my opinion. Seems you find more birds in the grass during the day.

There's fewer acres in crops out that way isn't there? More grassland type terrain?

Looks like a week of high 70's to low 80's in SoDak... How much (if any) will these temps speed up crop maturity?

Bob

Looks like a week of high 70's to low 80's in SoDak... How much (if any) will these temps speed up crop maturity?

Bob

This is great weather and is quite helpful. It won't be an early harvest but it is progressing. Corn will be left in the field as long as possible to get the corn as dry as possible because the price of corn is so cheap, drying costs will be avoided as much as possible.

NE South Dakota

I was up in NE South Dakota this past weekend, silage is being cut and there are some birds being flushed during this activity. Soy beans are drying down rather quickly and we did see birds along the soybean edges. The corn is super tall this year so unless your farmer is cutting silage strips so you can walk the edges and let the dogs run the corn it will be tough shooting birds in standing corn. The place we saw the most birds was a soy bean field next to CRP, and along the outside of the Soybean field the farmer harvested a hundred yard border of wheat. The farmer left patches of weedy wheat along the fence rows. Pheasants were really active in this area.

We did see quite a few Coyotes along the field edges so be ready to blast away at them.

SDViking

This is great weather and is quite helpful. It won't be an early harvest but it is progressing. Corn will be left in the field as long as possible to get the corn as dry as possible because the price of corn is so cheap, drying costs will be avoided as much as possible.

Haymaker, sorry for all the questions lately:eek: but I have another farm related/crop question for you or Mc.

The other day I was visiting family in Wisconsin when I watched someone combining corn already. It was still fairly green. Do you have any idea why someone would pick corn so early in the game:confused:

Haymaker, sorry for all the questions lately:eek: but I have another farm related/crop question for you or Mc.

The other day I was visiting family in Wisconsin when I watched someone combining corn already. It was still fairly green. Do you have any idea why someone would pick corn so early in the game:confused:

It is high moisture corn that I assume will be used for cattle feed. Since it is in Wisconsin my guess it will be used for dairy cattle. Don't worry about the questions, I am glad you are interested.

The Wis. could be filling a contract - or selling new corn for old corn price, or high moisture corn for feed. A lot of 24% +-corn harvested from green stalks /dry grain. There is the thought that you get more grain from 24% moisture than letting the corn dry in the field.

Nothing like opening weekend!!

This will be my group's 18th straight opening day on the same farm. We are from Georgia and would not miss the festivities for anything.

david0311

I just spoke with the private land we hunt on this fall. Both of the farmers...6000 acres total, Both said NOT to come out for opening weekend. Harvest will not begin until late October. Looking at the USDA Harvest data, it concurred the farmers report. Last year with the numbers way down, we waited until the harvest was done. Hit SD the last weekend of November and limited out 5 days in a row with 150 birds. All of us agree and are going to wait this year as well. Do not waste ur money and time for the opener. Sorry guys!!

HMMMMM? Not to be too negative ---However--wonder if someone else made him a better offer for the opener???:rolleyes:

Hope that's not the case :)

It would take a extreme issue for me to miss a opener--and I'm out there until mid- December or later JMO

Maybe it was sweet corn.

Here in MN they are chopping silage right now. My guess is that is what they are doing there as well. Its all feed for cattle feed.

Average cash corn bid in SE SD $2.63 :eek: More old crop in storage that anyone knows. No margin to dry it. Just pile it up and let the deer eat it.

I just spoke with the private land we hunt on this fall. Both of the farmers...6000 acres total, Both said NOT to come out for opening weekend. Harvest will not begin until late October. Looking at the USDA Harvest data, it concurred the farmers report. Last year with the numbers way down, we waited until the harvest was done. Hit SD the last weekend of November and limited out 5 days in a row with 150 birds. All of us agree and are going to wait this year as well. Do not waste ur money and time for the opener. Sorry guys!!

Beans are going down which is earlier than last year. Corn will be another story because of the moisture and the price, but I think that the beans will be gone by opener.

Talked to some friends who farm in different places varrying from Aberdeen to Faulkton to Huron to Sioux Falls. All started beans late last week. We'll have to see what this rain does for everyting today and yesterday. Week and a half until resident season!!

Crops UP

I started this post and have nothing new too ad. Crops state wide a no go for harvest. Corn in November down around 2 bucks a bushel. Spend your had earned cash wisely and wait. Spoke with farmer again and he was sad. Low crop price. Crops up for hunting. Stay home, it will be worth the wait!!!!

Back