Crops will be up!!!

Opener

I started this post and have nothing new too ad. Crops state wide a no go for harvest. Corn in November down around 2 bucks a bushel. Spend your had earned cash wisely and wait. Spoke with farmer again and he was sad. Low crop price. Crops up for hunting. Stay home, it will be worth the wait!!!!

I'm planning a trip coming in on the 9th of November. What is your best guess on crops for that weekend?

Birdman2

I'm planning a trip coming in on the 9th of November. What is your best guess on crops for that weekend?

Birdman2
Most of the beans are out. That does not effect pheasant hunting with the exception that once they are out, they will be getting after the corn. Good harvest weather this next week which could get us to a normal or average harvest. Unless the weather forecast changes, things shpuld be excellent by Nov. 9. It seems like east central SD is the farthest behind as I saw some corn coming out last week southeast.

Just got in from a long day harvesting beans. All the corn and sunflowers still to go. First time running the gravity wagon and never saw a bird all day. Looks like first week in November is ur best bet.

Drove around a bit today and most of the beans are done and did see some corn being combined--there will be lots of corn up for the opener but with the current weather they will get a lot done quickly.

Some stats from the USDA National agricultural statistics service. In South Dakota for the week ending Sunday October 12. Corn harvested 12% average 32%. Beans harvested 66% average 65%. Sunflowers 8% average 18%

Amazed how fast the bean harvest caught up to average and SD has had another 4 days of great harvest conditions since this report. I think what these stats indicate is on average there is way to much corn in on the opener >50% and this year will be a little worse than usual. Unfortunately, I think pheasant hunting strategy in SD will become more like it has been in IA. Because there's just more corn! Less CRP, less native grass, less small grains, less hay. I would suggest that experience in IA means corn harvest will be key. 0-50% Poor, maybe I should have finished the yard work. 50-75% Ok, getting a good idea of bird numbers. 75-90% Great, in the right place the easiest hunting of the year. 100% Best, no doubt. With one caveat, that's on private land. On public land the variables are infinite and much akin to Las Vegas.

12% can turn to 20% in one day. I drove to Sioux Falls today, and I think its closer to 20% and alot of corn falling right now. Conditions are good to run thru the night... Itll change in a hurry.

New numbers

USDA NASS in South Dakota for the week ending October 19. Corn harvested 19% average 45%. Beans harvested 88% average 77%. Sunflowers harvested 11% average 33%.

Must be different by areas as corn harvest is in full swing around Platte--my guess is that about 75% of the corn is harvested. We have had a week of well above temps with NO rain and the corn is down in moisture so its going in the bins, there is a 60% chance of rain tomorrow so today the combines will be hard at it again. :thumbsup:

I am coming in from Pennsylvania nov 1st and will be hunting the McPherson area that week and the second week around hecla. Any advice or do you know how I can get a list of land owners so I can possibly hunt some private land?any and all advice would be appreciated.

South of Aberdeen area - I just got off the phone with one of the guys that is running about 1800 acres. He said if he had not broke down, Saturday we would be at Jims Tap in Brookings for Hobo Days, but it will be close now to finishing late Saturday Afternoon.

Duck hunting report is amazing in the NE corridor. I know the guys will hate me for letting that out, but they need the competition!

I covered most of the area while hunting in a square from Cresbard to Faulkton to Doland to Conde in central East River and by the time I left Tuesday night (10-21) areas were 50-75% done with corn. The custom combiner we know guessed to be done with corn by the weekend with the few sunflower fields in this area off soon after.

USDA crop progress report for the week ending Sunday October 26 in South Dakota. Corn harvested 34% average 60%

Headed out to hunt with everyone the first weekend in November. Crops will be out and cool weather. I feel bad for everyone who did not pay attention to my live boots on the ground updates for the opener. Way I look at it we should limit out in an hour with five guys.

Back