What's your opinion?

Herbie

Gents,

So today a friend of mine asked me this, "Do you find over unders to be that much better? And what gauge do you use for upland? I hear a lot of talk about 20s". Told him personally I don't think o/u's are "better" it just comes down to personal preference and whatever goes hits where you point. I own a pump, auto loader, and and over under and like all three equally. So, I'm curios as to what your opinions are especially on the use of 20ga for pheasants. I'm sure this has been discussed over and over but for whatever reason I come up with no results when I do a forum search.

Thanks fellas

Herbie

Herbie I think we're going to move your thread to the gun section of the forum:).

As for a 20 gauge, it get's the job done on pheasants but I haven't used one since I was a kid. I prefer a 12, but many folks would disagree with me and recommend a 20 for a number of reason.

Use what feels right and "shoots straight" for you. 12 or 20, they both pack a good punch.:cheers:

1pheas4, I apologize for posting in the wrong area. Thank you for moving this thread as well as your reply.

Herbie

I just like the looks and feel of a O/U. A 20ga is OK for pheasants and so is a 16ga. Even a 28ga will do just fine if you pass on the longer shots--28ga in hand with a full box of ammo in your vest is a lot lighter on a long walk than even a 20ga and a good dog helps. just my 2 cents worth. :D

love the 20 gauge for Pheasants

I prefer a 20 gauge over other guns, It does the job well at all ranges. The problem with using a 12 gauge is that when a bird does get up close and you just so happen to pull the trigger a little too quick, you blow the bird to pieces. Plus I think the 20 gauge helps hunters be a little more disciplined.

But really its all up to the shooter. I like using my 20 gauge over and under and my pump.

Most of all i just enjoy being out there with friends and family enjoying the sport.

sdviking

OU's aren't necessarily "better," but they are nice! Same goes for a SxS. There's just a certain pride of ownership that you get with a well made double. That said, neither is better at all if you can't shoot one as well as say a pump or auto. I like them all, but these days I use OU's, SxS's and autos. Nothing against pumps, used them for years but just have gotten away from them.

I prefer 12 and 16 gauges for pheasants.

It seems to me that a 2 3/4 inch shell in my Citori Upland Special 12 gauge is about the same as a 3 inch shell in any of my 20 gauge guns which I now shoot more often than the 12s. In my view they are both fine, as is the 16 gauge. As someone else said, you have to be on target regardless of which gauge you are shooting.

More importantly, shoot the gun you are most comfortable with.

O/U's are fine, and so is the 20 Ga. I like my Citori Classic Lightning 20 for skeet/clays and early bird season. However, for most bird hunting, where you would actually rather kill birds than look cool, a 12 Ga hits harder and puts more shot in the pattern. Most all of the bird hunters I've seen carrying 20/28Ga O/U's in the field would be right at home in the LL Bean catalog with a tweed hat and plaid pants.

Also, light O/U's in 12 Ga will belt you good in the shoulder unless you use light loads.

"Shotgun Report" has a good review of gas guns vs over-under, a very interesting read. This is an excellent web site - discussions about guns and ammo.

O/U's are fine, and so is the 20 Ga. I like my Citori Classic Lightning 20 for skeet/clays and early bird season. However, for most bird hunting, where you would actually rather kill birds than look cool, a 12 Ga hits harder and puts more shot in the pattern. Most all of the bird hunters I've seen carrying 20/28Ga O/U's in the field would be right at home in the LL Bean catalog with a tweed hat and plaid pants.

Also, light O/U's in 12 Ga will belt you good in the shoulder unless you use light loads.

I am pretty sure I don't look cool in the field with my 28 O/U. I have yet to not kill birds with it or even wound them. In fact I was 7 for 7 at one point in a 2 day period on Wild Kansas birds. I won't wear Tweed either. Just some coveralls if it is cold. Aim small, miss small...

I have an Auto 12 and it was blistering cold with a heck of a wind chill and it became a single shot on the first shot. I put it up and grabbed the O/U so I had 2 shots for sure. The gun is not dirty and not over oiled. They just do not work well in the extreme conditions. Have not picked it back up except for waterfowl.

Hunting over pointing dogs a 20 is more than enough gun for pheasants.
I also like a break open gun like a O/U or SxS. I leave the gun open most of the time and then close it when walking in on point. Additionally having two chokes can often a good thing.

The pump and autos are good guns as well, but I will take a 20 ga O/U or SxS over them for hunting over pointing dogs.

Last edited:
I have an Auto 12 and it was blistering cold with a heck of a wind chill and it became a single shot on the first shot. I put it up and grabbed the O/U so I had 2 shots for sure. The gun is not dirty and not over oiled. They just do not work well in the extreme conditions. Have not picked it back up except for waterfowl.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the Semi auto, I have more than once half racked my first pump or had my dog dig in sand and foul the action. Have yet to have an O/U foul in any conditions. SXS/OU is just a matter of preference.

I used to use only 12 gauge but have now use a 20 equally as often on wild pheasants.

I prefer a two - holer for all the same reasons as Setternut has explained. 28 gauge on quail and 20 on Ditch Chickens. Now Captcoot likes a two - holer as well, but he also is known for his internet dating and mail order brides:rolleyes:

I prefer a pump or auto and I take shots every fall with a 12 I wouldn't with a 20 plus a lot of the time bigger birds are also targeted by me. I also shoot mostly steel or other non toxic loads until geese are closed in mid december.

My opinion is you should match your situation with the gun you have confidence in. A lot of it depends on your location and how you hunt.

wisturkeyhunter, you nailed it. I don't think our O/U boys have hunted many North Dakota wild birds in December. I too hunt over a pointing lab, and those mythical close-in shots for 20/28's just don't happen in the late season on educated birds. In fact, the farmer we hunt with (Benelli shooter) won't allow anything smaller than a 12 on his land due to too many 20 Ga shooters crippling (and losing) his birds.

As for cold, my Maxus has never jammed or failed on any of those blistery days, some of which have been in blowing snow and temps in single digits! By then, the opening day hunters have put up the guns and switched to watching football on TV.

It's all personal preference boys...

I use nothing but O/U for clays, but prefer Semi Auto's for hunting. Like the extra bit of firepower they offer for those occasions where you may need it. 12ga. for late season skittish birds is a no-brainer. 20's fine for early season.

MY Beretta has never failed me in cold temps. If your gas guns are balking in cold weather, could be your using too much lube???

not using too much flippin oil, lube, graphite or what ever else I have tried over the years. Even Running it dry! It is not just one gun. It happens when it is extremely cold. Not 5 degrees! I run around in my underwear in 5 degrees. Cold!!!

not using too much flippin oil, lube, graphite or what ever else I have tried over the years. Even Running it dry! It is not just one gun. It happens when it is extremely cold. Not 5 degrees! I run around in my underwear in 5 degrees. Cold!!!

Break Free CLP will take care of that problem. A number of years ago I was having a problem with my Benelli in extremely cold weather. Bought a can of Break Free and treated the cleaned action with a light coat. Never a problem again. The action functioned as freely as it would if it had been 80 degrees out.

http://www.break-free.com/products/products_breakfreeclp.asp?catalog=law

Calm down big guy. :D

I didn't say YOU were putting too much (that's why i said COULD BE), only that a lot of people don't realize that when you lube the action on an auto, you need to wipe off all excess until it literally looks like there is nothing left on the metal (but there is) to get maximum affect. Spraying lube all over the action and running it wet will gum up in cold temps, is what I was getting at.

Now... what the Hell you doing out in subzero temps anyway? ;)

O/U

I like my over/under 12 and 16, I have numerous gauges and actions however there are two I prefer, my Beretta SV10 12 and my citori 16. The 12 has the widest most available selection.

Back