New profile posts

Enjoyed our chat today !!! Honestly think we feel the Same about many Topics. Like said if you don't mind an old crippled give me a shout. Sometime if not no worries best of Luck to you. Our paths might Cross again just look for the Sticker 😳
Hello from Sarah Rule, sorry it has taken a bit to contact you. My hunting season is over till next year... surgery on my right tibia for broken hardware removal put me off hunting. The raccoon will be my last casualty for the year. I wish you well as you enjoy snow tracking and working dogs while not worrying about heat exhaustion. Good luck and we shall have to work on next year for a hunting meet. Obie and I hunt only public lands at this point. We had good luck south of Morris and northwest of Marshall this year. I would love to get out again, but am under strict orders of no running or jumping. All of these things seem to occur to me while out on our public lands. Sarah Rule
Hi George,

Are you enjoying the warm climes in AZ? Assume you don't miss the weather here!

Question: With all the fluff about Springers on the Ultimate site, I was wondering if you are considering this breed?

Enjoy the winter and happy holidays/.

Jon
Hi there, you sound like you know what you are doing! I am reaching out because my friend and I are making our first ever trip from Manitoba, Canada to South Dakota December 2-5. We are only hunting public land and we don't have a dog. I have lots of experience hunting grouse, but no pheasant hunting experience. We are still trying to decide what area to stay in, and more specifically the particular public properties to try. We are open to going anywhere in the NE part of the state. Can you suggest an area we should go where we might have some luck, and even better, a few properties to try? I would really appreciate it and it could be a huge difference maker for our trip. Thanks and all the best. I enjoyed you post and found it quite encouraging since there is a lot of negativity on here about public land and late season hunting. Cheers.
Hey Jeff! Where'd you get that Red Dog? Is he a good one? I live in MN also and have a 10 yr old red. Got him from Berg Bros. Great dog. Maybe a little too high test, but super dog in the house and just a great all-round dog. I live too far from good bird country (SE MN and pheasant hunting sucks here) to get him out enough though or he would probably be better. How's your fall hunts been going? Enjoy!
hi the guns we are drawing in 2016, will be the same guns, in the same order , profits from the raffle, go to the coffee creek habitat work in Central Montana , for public hunting.
www.MontanaPF.org , happy to send you a ticket or two? thanks,JIM
I am actually taking my eldest daughter to the Bronco game. Thanks for the invite. Where you headed? If you need a spot or two hit me up.
Hi Curt-

Firstly, I cannot thank you enough for all of the recommendations and for taking the time to message me! I think we are going to shoot some clay birds early next week, and depending on her schedule I'll let you know what day we are thinking about going out. If you are willing and free, I'd love to get her on some private ground. I can bring my dog if you'd be more comfortable with that, and of course I'd be more than happy to buy you lunch/dinner and a few beers as a thank you! Once again I really appreciate all of your help!

-Jacob
Next on my list would focus around the town of Early, several more large areas stretching to Lake View. Sorry the specific names escape me, and I'm at work and can't look them up.
Now a little closer to you- along I35 north of Hwy 20 (Hamilton County I believe?) are some real good looking spots near the interstate. I have never hunted those, but they look worth a poke.

Finally- If you do go that way and I'm available, I'd be willing to take a couple kids out on some private ground to help set the hook. Two conditions, 1- she has enough safety understanding to not shoot my dog if there is a low flyer, and 2- no stealing my spots later. I feel like I should work a couple beers into the arrangement also but that can be discussed later....

I'm out hunting pheasants every weekend except first shotgun deer. I'd be glad to help with either public or private, we need more hunters in our ranks.

Curt (Berettadouble)
Howdy-

Like I said in my post, I can only vouch for where I hunt. But if I were to go find public land birds I would go west down hwy 20, I thought I saw referenced you were Cedar Rapids area? If you were going to stay a night I'd go to either Fort Dodge or Storm Lake. FD is kind of a dump but theres not much housing choice in that area. From there look for a little town called Varina on the map. There are several large public areas that hold birds. They get hit hard like all public areas, but nothing like you'd have seen at Hawkeye, etc. I've managed to shoot a limit in January on them before. To the north of Varina just a couple miles is a complex called Crotty (?) and something else. Huge. Put altogether its got to be near a section. South of Varina are several more areas. Those would be my first stops.

Character limit reached- continued...
Can you please e-mail some pictures of the springer to: davekestler@hotmail.com I am very interested. I have been going to SD every year for the last 4 yrs. pheasant hunting and have been looking for a started male springer for a while. Thanks.
Good evening, I noticed that you had posted you rent a house in Hettinger. I was wondering if you might share that contact info as we go to the SW of ND every fall and usually stay in New England. unfortunately our accomadation has fallen through after this year, aging owners...

Thanks in advance for the reply,

Paul
I was in the Regent/Mott area the end of October with my young GSP (6 months), she did pretty good for a young dog. Have never hunted the area in December but have always wanted to. I'm retired and am in good shape, been bird hunting all my life as I was born in S.D. but have lived in Idaho for a loooooong time.
Howdy- I saw this pretty late, but I've got some interest in your offer. I live in Iowa and have excellent pheasant hunting most years, and lots of private land access (the real key to success here). I know you have some phez in WY, but its nothing like here! Could also put you on a spring turkey most likely.
I hunt sage and blue grouse around Lander successfully, but really want to get into huns. They occur in Iowa but not very often.
Like you I'm just trying to find some new experiences and people....
Curt
Back