New profile posts

Hey Jim. What better thing to do while looking out at this weeks snowstorm than to think about next season. Maybe starting out in SE Montana, crossing over into SW North Dakota then dropping down into SD to finish up. Thoughts?

On a totally unrelated subject, does your Nash have the folding bed into a couch option?

Tom
Powderhorn Jim
Powderhorn Jim
Hi Tom. Sorry, I'm horrible about checking my messages. We generally start in SW ND then head for the Missouri in SD.

No, our Nash has storage under the bed.
made an edit to my instructions for putting on OR gaiters. maybe it will help. sorry if it doesn't.
Reach out to KSBrittman, he lives and hunts Kansas, he might be able to give you some good intel. He is a great guy we have hunted Nebraska togehter.
Hi Drew. My name is also Drew. I live in Twin Falls. If you ever want to someone to go do some bird hunting with in the greater magic valley area let me know.
Drew
Drew
I just might take you up on that offer. Do you have some places in mind? Or up for a little exploring?
D
Dohyde34
Didn't realize you messaged back. I'm up for exploring. I've been every weekend since chukar opened. Don't see anything most of the time but gotten a handful. Let me know if you want to go somewhere. I've been hitting the wmas and access yes ground.
Drew
Drew
Let me think about that. Have you every hunted around Glens Ferry or around Hagerman?
Hello: My name is Steve Mulherin. You were suggested as a good source. I lost my springer to cancer this summer. So, I'm looking for a new partner. I'm 71 and not interested in a puppy. I'd like to find a started dog male or female that will be a good meat hunter and an house, family member. I'd appreciate any leads. My phone number is 804 514 1393. Thanks
A
Az hunter
check out some of the springer rescue organization
Tuckr2
Tuckr2
Check Facebook hunting posts. working with a buddy in Oklahoma to find him a springer (started or young dog). I will say that you can check Craigslist as well, under community and all for sale, English springer rescue they don’t typically advertise hunting dogs. I have to springers currently with about 1/4 field spaniel in them. Good prey drive, not so much as to overwhelm when at home.
FCSpringer
FCSpringer
Sorry I never get these messages it seems. 320-219-2081
$94/night!! Ouch! I recall something in the range of$50 when we first started hunting that area.

I'm at the flea bag in Prescho...didn't ask the price. Only other alternative is Chamberlain.

Jon
i hunt Iowa and SD for the most part. usually just go solo with my 1 GWP. maybe we can meet up for a hunt or two, i don't like a crowd.

richard
I live currently in Utah, but grew up in Eastern Oregon and have lived in Oregon, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and now Utah. I would travel across the country for really good quail and pheasant hunting and often do.
Where are you located? I am in the planning stages of a multi state hunt this fall and have a friend in Colby where I can hunt.
thinking about going solo to ND next season, tough hunting, any general areas you could recommend?
also, how does the electronically posted ground work?
is there anyway to get landowner numbers and get verbal permission?

thanks, richard
Hi Birddude, I moved here 3 1/2 years ago from the neighboring communist state of Illinois. I got my first pointer at Thanksgiving of 2020 and she has been a lot of fun. She is a GWP named Sophie. Glad to meet you.
B
Bugstew
That is what I hear but I have been unable to get on any. Been to the shooting preserve where I got my GWP and she does well there.
birddude
birddude
Yeah, Its sad even when you find them, they either get up wild or when they do hold, can't find the singles. yesterday found three small coveys. One dogs pointed only saw tracks. 2nd got up 50 yards in front of dogs. 3rd held and my pup flushed them.
H
hunter94
Thanks for your reply! Please tell me more about the breedings that you went with, and also about your started dog. I read everywhere about field trial washouts or culls that don't make a field-trailer's string at around 9 -18 months. Who would you call if looking for a suitable started dog, and who might you avoid? Tons of dogs on gundog central, but I don't know who to trust and who is just trying to move a dog.
Thanks so much for the reply - I'm considering going the started dog route as well, mainly to ensure that the dog already has a solid(ish) retrieve. It seems too dicey to go with a pup in these breed even if there are retrieving parents IMHO. Did you go with a field trial washout? Thanks again!
I
IsThisHeaven?
Yes. Mine was a NSTRA dog. I went started dog because I don’t have access to pigeons to get a pointing dog started. All I have done with mine is run her regularly to keep her in shape, reinforce a solid recall and whoa, and run her on wild birds.
Shells went to post office today.
Tracking number as follows
9505 5134 7290 1331 5488 14

Thanks,
Bob
Back