Youth season advice

I am planning on bringing my son for his first real pheasant hunt this youth season. I took him a couple of years back, but we were in Wichita and all we saw were rabbits. I have hunted up in Kanas since 2007. I have two deutch drahthaars. I have experience, but no experience guiding a kid that is new to upland hunting. My boy has dove hunted but never hunted upland behind a dog. I am thinking I will have him walk as close as possible to me so I can tell him what to do at all times. I guess it would be best if I was just behind him. What advice can you give me on the best, safest way to guide him? I have always called "rooster" and "hen" when a bird flew. I hope he will hear the difference when the adrenaline starts to flow. I guess I could try to yell "shoot" and "no".

I will be "guiding" him on public land. I will not have a firearm. Only my son will have a firearm. What do I do and not do to make sure we are legal? Can I carry his backup shells?

I really want him to get hooked. It is my favorite hunt each year.

I guide kids quite a bit. It's actually more fun for me now that I've done it for a few years.
Problems:
1. The way they hold their gun at different times.
2. Pace
3. They dont want to pass the dog on point at first.

You will constantly say "Pick up the pace". So now I tell kids before we start which way we will plan on going so they have an end point. This is pretty important. But also tell them to follow the dog. I also say "stay as close to the dog as you can without going above a brisk walk." Or I tell em to walk with purpose! The person with the gun walks in front for sure but I try to get beside them a little so it simulates hunting with partners.

Make sure they have two hands in contact with the gun. Whether its a cradle hold, over and under, or ready to shoot pose.

Tell them to walk to the dog on point and walk past it as usually the pheasants are a little bit in front of the dog. A lot of times kids stop right behind the dog almost enticing the dog to move so however you walk in to flush, make sure they do it the same. I don't think you can carry shells, in Missouri, Definitely not. You also have to have a hunting license to handle the dogs.
One more piece of advice. Only walk close to the kid if they have problems or are really immature still. So first hunt ever? Yeah walk close for a bit, make sure his gun gets pulled up high enough and quick enough. Hand on his back if he's leaning back too much, just like when shooting skeet. But if he has dove hunted and can handle the gun well, spread out so he learns how to hunt with others. Pace will probably be the hardest part for him to get.

Great advice Hell, we got guys who have hunted for 30 years and still can't keep pace. always have guys fall behind, and the newby's walking way to fast.

I have gone out with some youth hunters and wondered about the same things. I sought guidance and here is what I found.

If you have taken him out before, he probably plans to imitate Dad, a good thing. I think the hunt should start with a safety meeting before you step into the cover. Just go over basics like barrel control, awareness of the position of others, not hurrying to pull the trigger, no low shots, inspections of guns, specific rules about auto loaders and pumps, etc.

Another thing is that youth tire much more quickly than we adults. Make sure that he knows it is just fine if he wants to take a break, sit down, lie down, take a short nap, take a drink, eat something, get out of the sun, etc. Encourage this and you avoid down moods that can lead to lack of attention. If you see him sagging, initiate a rest break.

After the safety meeting you're ready to take the field, and since it's his hunt you might ask, "Well, what's your plan, how do you want to hunt this?" This can lead to talk about wind direction, cover, and all that as you study the field. Walking behind him is OK but he can't see you there and he's going to hunt with others as time goes by so maybe you should post on the line just as if you too were hunting. Might not hurt to ask him where he wants you positioned and to tell him that if he wants you to take another position for blocking, coverage, etc., to just signal you or hold a conference.

Make sure it is fun. Good luck.

Last edited:
It will just be me and my son. My dogs work for me and no one else. They know that. If I shift over to the next position, my dogs will shift with me.

I like all the info, keep it coming.

I know it is true that a kid will tire before me, but when I was a kid I could out do everyone (or at least that is what my dad made me think).

I am thinking short pushes would be better than long pushes too.

Get him out and shoot some trap. Practice the movement of raising the gun, taking off the safety and firing.

Emphasize that you only shoot where there's sky -- never into crops or the ground. Remind him of the zone in front of hoim that's ok to shoot into.

Two hands always, muzzle up.

I started my guys with one shell in the gun.

I'm not big on pushing the pace too awful much. You know your kid -- don't make him hate what he's doing.

Some of this sounds obvious to an experienced hunter...but, I just talked to a guy who had his dog shot a couple weekends ago on a preserve. Kid fired three shots -- the third into the brush and the dogs. Dog's ok, kid's rattled.

First, how old is her and what shape is he in physically. If he's young or small, don't go to heavy cover. If he's not ready for a full day, quit when it's still fun. You say public land, what kind and where. Have you scouted it? You may carry his shells, but make sure the gun stays with him. Get on youtube and show him a hunt if he hasn't walked along yet. Have him try to ID birds as they flush if it's pheasants. The other option is concentrate on quail where he can shoot either sex. A gun that fits and is not new to him is important. Get him out with the dogs so he knows how to react when they go on point and where to be looking. If he's watching the ground he won't shoot as well because it is hard to refocus on a flying bird going away when your eyes are focused close on the ground. I liked to have mine go along a few times unarmed before they got their card and opportunity. Helped fill in a lot of gaps.

He is big. 12 years old, almost 6 feet tall, and about 150#.

He has shot some trap, skeet, and sporting clays. He will be shooting my 20ga o/u because he likes it. I am not sure what choke to use for him yet because I am positive he will be slow on the draw.

I haven't scouted the public land yet. It is 9 hours away. I was planning on hitting some of my old honey holes age doing short pushes.

Thanks for all the info. It is all useful.

Just a few thoughts:

1) As stated above, he needs to be very familiar with the gun. Sounds like you've done that with clays, trap and skeet. Make sure you get him out for some additional practice (handling of the gun) just before you go.

2) Safety meeting: explain what to expect, where you plan to position yourself in relation to him, how to approach a point, horizon under the bird, etc. He should know how to hold the gun long before going into the field. Remember to teach how to handle the gun in non-hunting situations (around the truck, over fences, when taking a break)...seems that when we do these things many people let their safety practices take a break as well.

3) In the field: I normally walked behind or at a 45 degree angle behind my son. This allowed me to watch him and for him to hear me without turning. It also gives a wider shooting field in case he forgets everything you've worked on when the bird gets up.

4) Fun: It usually gets hot in the middle of the day and it can be a long way between birds for a youngster. Get in the truck and explore some of what makes Kansas Kansas!

Explain to him:

• How windmills work get out of the truck and go look at one,
  • Talk about center pivots and why we have them and how they work
  • Explain grain elevators and how a farmer makes his money
  • Get out and look at a combine and let him ask questions.
  • Lunch on the tailgate in the wind is a must...it's also fun to get him involved in finding a good windbreak.
  • Although usually private land, we usually took a .22 for some mid day shooting. Kids love to pull the trigger.
  • Take a camera and let him take pictures. This will give you an idea of what he thinks is interesting.
  • Staying in a hotel? Make sure he brings his swim trunks.
  • Make the weekend all about him.

Remember, this trip is about him. Just like adults, he'll learn that hunting isn't about pulling the trigger, it's about all the intangibles that we gain while being "out there". He may not come home with a single bird, but he'll be dying to go back next year....or later this season.

One thing is for sure...it's the best hunt YOU will have all year.

Point!

Just a few thoughts:

1) As stated above, he needs to be very familiar with the gun. Sounds like you've done that with clays, trap and skeet. Make sure you get him out for some additional practice (handling of the gun) just before you go.

2) Safety meeting: explain what to expect, where you plan to position yourself in relation to him, how to approach a point, horizon under the bird, etc. He should know how to hold the gun long before going into the field. Remember to teach how to handle the gun in non-hunting situations (around the truck, over fences, when taking a break)...seems that when we do these things many people let their safety practices take a break as well.

3) In the field: I normally walked behind or at a 45 degree angle behind my son. This allowed me to watch him and for him to hear me without turning. It also gives a wider shooting field in case he forgets everything you've worked on when the bird gets up.

4) Fun: It usually gets hot in the middle of the day and it can be a long way between birds for a youngster. Get in the truck and explore some of what makes Kansas Kansas!

Explain to him:

• How windmills work get out of the truck and go look at one,
  • Talk about center pivots and why we have them and how they work
  • Explain grain elevators and how a farmer makes his money
  • Get out and look at a combine and let him ask questions.
  • Lunch on the tailgate in the wind is a must...it's also fun to get him involved in finding a good windbreak.
  • Although usually private land, we usually took a .22 for some mid day shooting. Kids love to pull the trigger.
  • Take a camera and let him take pictures. This will give you an idea of what he thinks is interesting.
  • Staying in a hotel? Make sure he brings his swim trunks.
  • Make the weekend all about him.

Remember, this trip is about him. Just like adults, he'll learn that hunting isn't about pulling the trigger, it's about all the intangibles that we gain while being "out there". He may not come home with a single bird, but he'll be dying to go back next year....or later this season.

One thing is for sure...it's the best hunt YOU will have all year.

Point!

That there is the best response that can be given! Straight to the "POINT"!

Back