Youth Gun

I am trying to find a reasonably priced youth shotgun. I don't need anything fancy because my son will most likely only use it for a season or two at most. In fact, price is a driving force for me. I have looked at stores and at gunbroker.com. Anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Try Walmart. At some Walmart I saw for sale a 20 ga., single shot, break action youth gun for about $130. Perfect first gun for a boy or girl.

Last edited:
Back in the 80's when my step-son started hunting I gave him a 12 ga. Remington 870 with a 26" barrel. I took the recoil pad off and installed a thin plastic butt plate to reduce the reach. When he grew I put the recoil pad back on. Started him out with light field loads so recoil was minimal. Worked great for a growing boy.

Last edited:
Check the pawn shops especialy now after seasons close, people get rid of stuff when not in use and in need of doe. You may get a better gun for the same $ and will last a few more years. I have gotten some nice guns cheap at the Pawnie's.

In the last Cabela's shopper they sent out was a Mossberg Pump, called the super bantam. 20 gauge, 22 inch barrel (which I don't like). But it has a 3 piece stock that can be taken apart and set close to the young person's size. They were on sale for $249.99. Might be worth a look..........Bob

I would avoid single shot break actions. Due to there stock design and light weight they tend to kick more than a pump gun. I will try to find the article but somewhere I read that a single shot 20 has more felt recoil more than a 12 gauge pump.

I again am going to put in my plug for a 12 ga. Remington 870 Express with 26" barrel. You can shorten the length of pull by removing the recoil pad and installing a thinner plastic one. Start him out with light loads.

Here's a new one on GunBroker.com for $296.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154720961

This would make a gun he can grow into and one he can use for years. And with the synthetic stock will take the abuse.

Good luck and get the kid in the field.

I again am going to put in my plug for a 12 ga. Remington 870 Express with 26" barrel. You can shorten the length of pull by removing the recoil pad and installing a thinner plastic one. Start him out with light loads.

With the price of used wood stocks for 870, around $30, you can afford to cut one down also.

I bought my son an 870 Express youth model from WAlmart for $240. He used it for about 5 years and then got an 870 adult model. He shot quail, pheasant, ducks, and geese with it in 20 ga. The whole thing about youth starting out is that you shouldn't scare them (use 20 ga) and they need some success (pump better than single shot). If you want to throw one more qualitative thing in there, you don't want them carrying too heavy a gun until they have the strength to do so. These guns hold their value very well and can be sold or traded in when he's ready for a full sized model.

I have a Moss 500 youth pump 20ga that I may be willing to part with
Im in the twin cities from time to time

First Shotgun

My first one was a Remington Model 11 20 gauge, with the poly-choke. My father picked it up used for $60. But that was many years ago.. when I was 13..

So, I pulled it out of storage a couple of years ago and harvested a couple of roosters, still works like a champ!. Used some heavy Remington pheasant loads 5 shot nitros.. and I have to admit she kicked like a mule.

Did some research and discovered that the gun was manufactured in '42..

Goatman

I bought my son an 870 Express youth model from WAlmart for $240. He used it for about 5 years and then got an 870 adult model. He shot quail, pheasant, ducks, and geese with it in 20 ga. The whole thing about youth starting out is that you shouldn't scare them (use 20 ga) and they need some success (pump better than single shot). If you want to throw one more qualitative thing in there, you don't want them carrying too heavy a gun until they have the strength to do so. These guns hold their value very well and can be sold or traded in when he's ready for a full sized model.

+1

Started out with borrowed stuff from dad, mainly a cheap side by side 20 that we were both deadly with. When I was in 6th grade he got me an early Christmas present, youth 870 20 guage with 21" barrel. I killed a pile of doves, quail, and pheasants with that gun for 6 years until I bought a 12. Bought a longer stock for it, but it still wasn't full sized.

Or like somebody else said, find an 870 Express 12 at a pawn shop, get online and find a buttstock somewhere like Boyd's, cut it down, add a good recoil pad, and have at it.

Back