Youth 20 ga. Over & Under

Dakotazeb

I'm thinking about buying my grandson a 20 ga. o/u to hunt with this fall. I'd like to keep the price under $600. Something fairly light weight with 26" or shorter tubes. One feature I would really like to find is an automatic safety. One that goes back to "Safe" every time the action is opened. Anyone have any suggestions?

I think for a beginner it would be really nice to have the auto safe feature. It appears Stoeger might have an auto safe on their o/u's. I have sent them a message to verify. Stoeger, CZ and Stevens make some decent, affordable o/u's. A guy at our field trial this weekend had a new Stevens 555 in 20 ga. Nice looking gun and only 5.5 lbs. It has extractors, not ejectors and also a manual safety.

My wife has a Yildiz 20 gauge O/U that is real nice and has performed great in the 3 years she's had it. It's real light though and absolutely kicks like a mule. Doesn't have the auto-safety feature. 24" barrels and 12" length of pull.
I have an ATI Cavalry 28 ga, which I believe is basically the same gun as the 555 Stevens. I shoot it very well, but unfortunately it has double-fired a few times.
If I was getting another affordable O/U I'd likely go for a Yildiz.
No Academy stores in SD though, so pretty hard to get your hands on one up there.

CZ USA Quail model is a 20ga with 28in barrels with a 13 3/4 LOP and is $629.00 MSRP SKU 06483
It is the youth gun of the your for PF. If you have any questions please call CZ USA 800.955.4486.

Thanks and Kick'em Up!

George:

I have a Kassner 20ga o/u with double triggers and it does have auto safety. It is a light gun and will kick with high brass but is a breeze to carry in the field or woods. I bought mine used but it might be an option.

George:

I have a Kassner 20ga o/u with double triggers and it does have auto safety. It is a light gun and will kick with high brass but is a breeze to carry in the field or woods. I bought mine used but it might be an option.

I bought him a Stevens 555E 20 ga. a few days ago. Traded in a rifle I had and an cheap pump shotgun that his dad had. Nice little gun. I'll be anxious to get the grandson out and shoot it.

I bought him a Stevens 555E 20 ga. a few days ago. Traded in a rifle I had and an cheap pump shotgun that his dad had. Nice little gun. I'll be anxious to get the grandson out and shoot it.
Great gun! for the money!! I shoot skeet with mine, and use it for grouse, and pheasant here in Mass in the tight brush covered fields I hunt. Something about their 20 ga feels right. I held the 12 ga and it did not have he same feel. I was going to buy my wife the .410 O/U but it has a longer length of pull then the 20ga for some reason. She shoot the 20ga when she hunts with me.....good luck!!

Back