Youth 20 ga. Over & Under

Dakotazeb

I'm thinking about buying my grandson a 20 ga. o/u to hunt with this fall. I'd like to keep the price under $600. Something fairly light weight with 26" or shorter tubes. One feature I would really like to find is an automatic safety. One that goes back to "Safe" every time the action is opened. Anyone have any suggestions?

A5 Sweet 16

Hmmm....I'm not going to be much help, as I don't know what's out there for youth o/u's, especially very inexpensive ones. Curious...why not buy him something like a BPS Micro Midas? 22, 24, or 26" barrel. Butt spacers. $600. REALLY nice little pumps. Is it the auto safety you're after?

Dakotazeb

I think for a beginner it would be really nice to have the auto safe feature. It appears Stoeger might have an auto safe on their o/u's. I have sent them a message to verify. Stoeger, CZ and Stevens make some decent, affordable o/u's. A guy at our field trial this weekend had a new Stevens 555 in 20 ga. Nice looking gun and only 5.5 lbs. It has extractors, not ejectors and also a manual safety.

My wife has a Yildiz 20 gauge O/U that is real nice and has performed great in the 3 years she's had it. It's real light though and absolutely kicks like a mule. Doesn't have the auto-safety feature. 24" barrels and 12" length of pull.
I have an ATI Cavalry 28 ga, which I believe is basically the same gun as the 555 Stevens. I shoot it very well, but unfortunately it has double-fired a few times.
If I was getting another affordable O/U I'd likely go for a Yildiz.
No Academy stores in SD though, so pretty hard to get your hands on one up there.

CZ USA Quail model is a 20ga with 28in barrels with a 13 3/4 LOP and is $629.00 MSRP SKU 06483
It is the youth gun of the your for PF. If you have any questions please call CZ USA 800.955.4486.

Thanks and Kick'em Up!

Miforester

George:

I have a Kassner 20ga o/u with double triggers and it does have auto safety. It is a light gun and will kick with high brass but is a breeze to carry in the field or woods. I bought mine used but it might be an option.

Dakotazeb

George:

I have a Kassner 20ga o/u with double triggers and it does have auto safety. It is a light gun and will kick with high brass but is a breeze to carry in the field or woods. I bought mine used but it might be an option.
I bought him a Stevens 555E 20 ga. a few days ago. Traded in a rifle I had and an cheap pump shotgun that his dad had. Nice little gun. I'll be anxious to get the grandson out and shoot it.

ditch-chicken

I bought him a Stevens 555E 20 ga. a few days ago. Traded in a rifle I had and an cheap pump shotgun that his dad had. Nice little gun. I'll be anxious to get the grandson out and shoot it.
Great gun! for the money!! I shoot skeet with mine, and use it for grouse, and pheasant here in Mass in the tight brush covered fields I hunt. Something about their 20 ga feels right. I held the 12 ga and it did not have he same feel. I was going to buy my wife the .410 O/U but it has a longer length of pull then the 20ga for some reason. She shoot the 20ga when she hunts with me.....good luck!!