Wild bird hunting might be cheaper than I thought

Honestly the cost of hunting pheasants is pretty cheap compared to some of my other hobbies. A resident small game license and a pheasant stamp is like 35 bucks/year here.

Its when you start going non-resident and taking trips, paying for lodging, meals, etc is when it gets more expensive. I think someone posted that it now costs over 400 bucks to hunt quail in Oklahoma as a non-resident. That's getting out of hand IMO

I think it’s one of the least expensive hobbies. The thread of using stuff over ten years old shows that. At least compared to fishing or duck hunting. I like to think of it like I’m “saving” money by only hunting pheasants!

im 14 hours away from where i like to hunt. my cost rankings are as follows (from most expensive to least):

1)lost income from missing work
2)lodging
2)fuel
3)food
4)OOS license
5)ammunition

I don't want to know the number but even if our group shot limits everyday on our trips I'm guessing $18.33/# is cheaper than what we have invested in our cooler of birds on the way home. Who knew those fried pheasant dinners are actually fine dining 🤷‍♂️

im 14 hours away from where i like to hunt. my cost rankings are as follows (from most expensive to least):

1)lost income from missing work
2)lodging
2)fuel
3)food
4)OOS license
5)ammunition

Luckily I don't have to deal with the 1, 2, 2, and 3 you listed. Why did you list 2) twice lol

Quite honestly if I had to spend that much time and invest that much into upland hunting I wouldn't be doing it. I don't enjoy it THAT much.

Luckily I don't have to deal with the 1, 2, 2, and 3 you listed. Why did you list 2) twice lol

Quite honestly if I had to spend that much time and invest that much into upland hunting I wouldn't be doing it. I don't enjoy it THAT much.
To be honest, I didnt catch the error and over looked the numbering. If you asked me on a deeper level, my last freelance public land trip ended up with my lodging costing as much as my fuel costs…so tied for second on the list…

I’m still at the point that I start thinking about next season a few days after I get back from my last trip. The road trip mileage doesn’t bother me, especially if I have someone along for the ride. I just wish I had more time to take off and get away. I figure I don’t spend any more money hunting SD than most of my buddies pay for their deer camp dues and gear.

And food doesn't count as an expense because you gotta eat either way.
Well…I tend to treat myself to local restaurants while I’m up there so I’m usually spending more for my meals than I do at home.

This year I’ve got 3 buddies coming with me, and we’ve got an Airbnb for the week so the fuel and lodging will be less $/person than usual and we will cook our own meals at the airbnb.

I’m shooting to keep the trip as close to $600 per person as possible

Lodging- $150 per person
Fuel $100/person
Food $200/person
License $150/person

Last edited:
For our 5 night 4 day hunting trip to SoDak…
Lodging $250 ($50 night / 5)
Liscense $140
Gas $100 per man
Treaspass fee $600
Misc $60
Total $1150 per man
$1150 / 12 birds = $95.83 per bird LOL

Back