Wild bird hunting might be cheaper than I thought

It is easy to take for granted the luxury of living in rural Western Kansas, so thanks to all that make these posts.
If I hunt every weekend for the whole season, I won't burn $200 in fuel. I have a lifetime hunting license that was given to me by an ex-girlfriend when I was in my 20's (it was the best-worst gift ever...because I have to remember that crazy chick every time I look at it.)
A friend that used to come out to hunt each year always gave me a case of shells as a "thank you" for my substandard guiding. I have been shooting for the past 7-8 years.
I only travel to other locations to hunt 1-2 times per year to meet up with other "Western Kansas" friends.
My biggest hunting expense is my dog, but without a well trained dog of my own, I wouldn't hunt at all, so it is easy to justify this to get me out in the field every chance I get.

It can be pretty cheap. Gear needed very minimal. Dogs are obviously a year around thing, and everything that comes with that. Got pretty expensive for me last year at game farms trying to get my dog sure thing exposure. Other than that just cost gas and shells walking cover with the pup.

I love to golf. That can be spendy.

I'm not really sure we can count a dog as a specific hunting-related expense here. Obviously there's more to it with training and such to specifically train the dog to hunt, but I'm guessing most of us would already have a dog anyways, even if we weren't hunters. I know I would.

I'm not really sure we can count a dog as a specific hunting-related expense here. Obviously there's more to it with training and such to specifically train the dog to hunt, but I'm guessing most of us would already have a dog anyways, even if we weren't hunters. I know I would.
My thoughts precisely. Not counting dog expenses makes pheasant hunting super affordable.

I bought my dogs only for the reason of enhancing my hunting experience. If I wasn’t able to use my dog to my time and standards I won’t have one. Kind of an endless conversation. With the amount of time, ability, spots and dog I just wouldn’t be happy shooting 16 birds a year. I have friends that think I’m crazy for the amount of time I spend going out hunting and training. They are just comparing their own lives and know they wouldn’t make the time to do those things. I spent $400 this month just on heart worm, front line, and some yearly shots. This fall when Murf has a cock pinned down and he’s on a rock solid point and I shoot a rooster with a 24” tail and 3/4 spurs and I’m smiling so hard it hurts the money don’t matter! Yes the roosters I shot in 6th grade with my single shot 4/10 standing at the end of our corn field as dad drove the combine out where definitely cheaper then the ones I’ll shoot this year.

Not to get off topic and I love my dog but I probably wouldn’t own one if it wasn’t a hunting dog. It is definitely a family dog but not really needed for fulfillment in my life.I didn’t hunt roosters for years because I didn’t have a dog, so in a way I do kinda count it as an hunting expense. Pretty much a necessity for upland. the best part of upland is watching the dog work though. Let’s see If I conveyed that correctly. Ha!

Not to get off topic and I love my dog but I probably wouldn’t own one if it wasn’t a hunting dog. It is definitely a family dog but not really needed for fulfillment in my life.I didn’t hunt roosters for years because I didn’t have a dog, so in a way I do kinda count it as an hunting expense. Pretty much a necessity for upland. the best part of upland is watching the dog work though. Let’s see If I conveyed that correctly. Ha!

I understand. I don't think thats what the majority of hunters think though. I think the majority of hunters are dog people in general and would still have one even if they weren't hunting.

BTW I pheasant hunted for years before I had a dog of my own. I lived in an apartment, travelled a lot for work, and didn't have the means, time, or space to have one. But I still wanted to hunt. I harvested roosters and grouse without a dog. You have to hunt different than you would with one, primarily focus on thinner habitat where the chances of recovery are better.

Obviously now that I'm able to have one I would never go without though. And I'd much rather hunt without a dog than hunt with one that is poorly trained. I've hunted over some god awful dogs that ruined the hunt.

I understand. I don't think thats what the majority of hunters think though. I think the majority of hunters are dog people in general and would still have one even if they weren't hunting.

BTW I pheasant hunted for years before I had a dog of my own. I lived in an apartment, travelled a lot for work, and didn't have the means, time, or space to have one. But I still wanted to hunt. I harvested roosters and grouse without a dog. You have to hunt different than you would with one, primarily focus on thinner habitat where the chances of recovery are better.

Obviously now that I'm able to have one I would never go without though. And I'd much rather hunt without a dog than hunt with one that is poorly trained. I've hunted over some god awful dogs that ruined the hunt.
Never hunt a broke dog with one that isn't, it will spoil your day.

I bought my dogs only for the reason of enhancing my hunting experience. If I wasn’t able to use my dog to my time and standards I won’t have one. Kind of an endless conversation. With the amount of time, ability, spots and dog I just wouldn’t be happy shooting 16 birds a year. I have friends that think I’m crazy for the amount of time I spend going out hunting and training. They are just comparing their own lives and know they wouldn’t make the time to do those things. I spent $400 this month just on heart worm, front line, and some yearly shots. This fall when Murf has a cock pinned down and he’s on a rock solid point and I shoot a rooster with a 24” tail and 3/4 spurs and I’m smiling so hard it hurts the money don’t matter! Yes the roosters I shot in 6th grade with my single shot 4/10 standing at the end of our corn field as dad drove the combine out where definitely cheaper then the ones I’ll shoot this year.
That's bs .You are totally missing the point of having a dog.Dogs are not self gratifying tools.

Back