Why I love South Dakota??

Husker

This is why.... Saturday morning, left home at 4am for the 2 1/2 hour drive to the farm. By 11am we had my buck, 2 nice does and a coyote in the back of the pickup. Stopped for an hour and a half lunch, put the rifles away and got the 12ga's out... 3hrs, 6 roosters, and 3 grouse later I'm heading home! Got home in time to kiss my boys good night! The weather couldn't have been better with highs in the low 40's and very little wind. Boys, it just don't get better then that! God Bless good ol South Dakota!

Steve

(He's no monster, but he's heavy! He'll go 160" and look real nice on the wall)
SDC11316.jpg

SDC11320.jpg

(Photo shoot Sunday morning)
IMG_1387-1.jpg

SDC11334-1.jpg

Last edited:
Husker,
I'm always amazed at the wildlife in SD!
I grew up in the Marion/Canistota area and I don't really remember that much wildlife as a kid. We did hunt a phez a little and used to love shootin' those big ole jack rabbits! I know the East River deer weren't that plentiful in the late 50's on through the 60's. My Dad did get a real nice 5 by 5 when I was a little kid.
However, now when I come home we see all kinds of game. If I ever retire...I need a place in SD to come and stay for spring fishing...and fall hunting!
Gotta love SD!!! :10sign:

Husker, nice pics. Your rifle looks like a couple I have. I have two Winchester Classic SM's, one in .270 Win and the other .338 Win. Both topped with Leupold 3x9 Vari-X II scopes.

I keep saying it all the time, how lucky we are to have what we have right here in SD. And youa re right, "It just doesn't get any better than this"!

Good buck! Good days work you had.:thumbsup:

Great deer Steve we are in gun season here now as well and they have been playing hide pretty good around here hope the seek part comes together soon.:cheers:

Thanks Guys!
I've had an outstanding year thus far! I still have an archery tag and a black powder tag left, so my deer hunting isn't over yet! My labs are getting a little bit sick of me going deer hunting tho, I better make some time for them here in the next few weeks.

My Taxi dropped my buck off today, I had him cape and send the hide off as well, I just can't decide if I should shoulder mount him or not?? He green scored out 158. The one on the right is my wifes, she shot him at sun-up on opening morning.

Steve

IMG00103-20101202-1006.jpg

Husker, anything 150 or better is good for mountin' don't you think? A guy can't have enough deer heads hangin around. We have racks like the ones your wife got that don't seem to put up much of a brow time but they are good cull bucks.

UGUIDE, your probably right, I've got better scoring deer mounted but I've never shot one that's this heavy! He carries 6" of mass all the way thru the G3. But like you said, a guy can never have to many deer on the wall! Wish my wife felt that way............

:D

Back