Why I love labs

Dingleberries, actually one of the nightshades, I think.

Good pics and lifestyle for him

Last edited:
I grew up with nothing but labs in our house as my dad trained semiprofessionally and then just turned to hunting. I'm now on my 3rd lab of my own and I honestly don't think I will ever own anything but a lab. Growing up with them and having them in my life for over 40 years. They are truly a great all around dog, not just for hunting but also for all the above reasons. Not gonna lie my wife knows I love my dogs more than her :)

Unlike some other breeds who can be aloof or downright obstinate, Labs look at you like they are trying to peer into your soul. It looks a combination of wonder, admiration and concern all rolled up in one look. I've always figured that the bases of their creation were first a desire to please, then a strong retrieving instinct. I've never owned one but have seen several. The first thing that I noticed was the way they looked at their people.
Amen to that, from a Lab guy.

I am on my 2nd Lab. I was raised with a Lab, a Springer, a Brittany, and a Cocker. My wife raised and ran bear dogs. She also had a Golden for her dog we met.
I've been around law enforcement K9s for my entire career. Both of my best friends are handlers, with one being on his 3rd K9.
I can't put it into words or describe it......all of our breeds have "something".....but there is something special about a Lab.

Attachments

• 20180902_195121.jpg
    20180902_195121.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201015_213939.jpg
    20201015_213939.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210710_204636.jpg
    20210710_204636.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Resized_20220905_091000.jpeg
    Resized_20220905_091000.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231230_193324.jpg
    20231230_193324.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20161003_184540-1.jpg
    20161003_184540-1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231003_172755.jpg
    20231003_172755.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
I love labs because there is never any question of them being smarter than me. It is a fact I take solace in. Sure, they're more athletic, have a better sense of smell and are indeed more skilled at hunting, but raw intelligence? Nope. Not the dog that is mystified when I disappear under a blanket or jumps three feet in the air when she farts. :)

All bird dogs are great! That said, we started with labs in Alaska in 1989. We used to fly two down to South Dakota every fall and hunt for a month. After moving back to the lower 48 we have a smorgasbord of hunting opportunities, everything from dusky (blue) grouse to desert quail. We even had a marine mammal biologist in Fairbanks train one of our pups to find seal holes and polar bear dens when he was doing surveys on the North Slope.

We are on our 5th generation yellow lab (the one in my pic at left) and will pick up the 6th generation in March. I'm 74 so this one is likely our last, though who knows, maybe I won't fall apart completely in the next 10 years. Yeah, their tail is a weapon, ours retrieves dirty socks (and underwear) from the laundry hamper, they know no strangers, and they take over the bed at night, but what would life be without them?

Thanks for starting this AKSkeeter. I love all of the photos.

Remembered these photos my wife took a couple of years ago. This is the 4th and 5th generation. Hunting in boots in a sand burr, goat head infested field in Kansas and relaxing in the travel trailer later. I have no idea how the younger one doesn't hang that tongue up, but she's nine now and has never had a problem.

Also, thanks to wingsnfins for posting the Walt Gabbard song. I'm old and little rough, but it still brought tears.
P2080587.JPGP2080598.JPG

True. We skijored with ours in Alaska, but be careful. It is hard on their knees! Labs are stout, tough dogs, but many lab lines have notoriously weak knees. Both labs we had in Alaska required TPLO surgery. One had both back knees repaired. TPLO surgery is expensive and requires extensive rehab which takes months.

True. We skijored with ours in Alaska, but be careful. It is hard on their knees! Labs are stout, tough dogs, but many lab lines have notoriously weak knees. Both labs we had in Alaska required TPLO surgery. One had both back knees repaired. TPLO surgery is expensive and requires extensive rehab which takes months.
I've been fortunate, have had working labs since the 1980s and no health problems, no joint problems, all have lived to 13-15 years.
Maybe it is the type of lab?...mine are no stout.

not_stout_lab.jpg

Last edited:
Back