Why do you got what you got?

I have two Vizslas from different blood lines. Off the chart intelligent, velcro dog moniker is true to the breed which means they want your affection at all times, mad instincts and prey drive and pointing came naturally, short docked tails, and shedding is minimal. I love to hunt with good flushing breeds but a solid dialed in point is special in my opinion. My four year old Ellie is a retrieving machine and makes blind retrieves that amaze me on almost every trip out on both dead birds and cripples. My year and half old pup Willow is learning each outing and wanting to compete for the retrieve with her "sister" and will get there. Now for the ugly part...... I shoot a 30 year old Remington 870 express that I am certain weighs more than Ellie. I curse it out as a lug it around but I do shoot it pretty well. I am certain I will own a Beretta A400 Xplor by next fall and looking forward to that day. Maybe Santa Claus will bring me one for Christmas.

Reading through the thread a couple things strike me.

It seems most of us pick a breed and stick with that breed. Not everyone of course but perhaps a majority?

The second thought is "so many dogs, so little time".

I have seen or hunted with other people's dogs and/or read about just about every breed in this thread. There are many I would have like to have owned and hunted myself just to see how they were.

But....so little time when you consider rearing/training/hunting a pup you bought. I'm not a started dog guy I guess. I enjoy those puppy months too much.
Well said Chestle and it accurately reflects my views on dog breeds as well and having them from a pup to bond with. I wish I wouldn't have allowed myself to take a 20 year hiatus from hunting only to pick up the sport and my first dog five years ago.

I was a Goldens guy for 30 years then 8 years ago I hunted over a GWP for the first time, 3 months later I had one and have been hunting with them ever since Upland and Waterfowl. I still love Goldens and will some day have another. As for guns Im a O/U guy 20 & 28's are what I shoot these days

I own 10 shotguns, but my go to gun is a 1999 Remington 1187 premier 12 guage, IC is the choke. I also use a 20 year old 870 super mag. 26 inch barrel ,12 guage, IC choke. I also use a 7 year old 1187 20 guage, field model, 28 inch barrel, IC chokes Occasionally I use a 1991 Beretta, gold pigeon, 28 inch, 20 guage, IC/MOD. I have a 1972 Ford F250, and a 1992 Ford Bronco. I've always had yellow labs, that are the family pet.I don't believe in kennels, or dog crates, or home kennels. You don't cage a family member.

I own 10 shotguns, but my go to gun is a 1999 Remington 1187 premier 12 guage, IC is the choke. I also use a 20 year old 870 super mag. 26 inch barrel ,12 guage, IC choke. I also use a 7 year old 1187 20 guage, field model, 28 inch barrel, IC chokes Occasionally I use a 1991 Beretta, gold pigeon, 28 inch, 20 guage, IC/MOD. I have a 1972 Ford F250, and a 1992 Ford Bronco. I've always had yellow labs, that are the family pet.I don't believe in kennels, or dog crates, or home kennels. You don't cage a family member.
You haven’t met some of my family!!!!

I'm a Drahthaar fan, I've had at least 1 since 2004 and currently own 2. I'm a big fan of the German testing and breeding system and the ability to get a good puppy. I found them eager to please, very smart and forgiving of training mistakes. I love their prey drive and the ability to do just about anything. Point, retrieve, blood track, and many other things. I've trained my dogs to pull me on my bike, the first mile is fast! They are family pets that hang out in the house with an on/off switch that makes living with one in the house enjoyable.

We picked out our first Springer a little over 2 years ago. I was mainly looking for a fishing buddy that didn't take up much room in the boat, and was good around the kids. It didn't take long and we realized we wanted another. We then had two Springers 5 months apart in age. That Spring and Summer it was apparent that these dogs had strong hunting instincts. I hadn't done much bird hunting over the last couple of decades, other than a hunt or two a year with family members who had dogs. My dogs don't always retrieve to hand, but they hunt hard and stay close. We've been out 17 or 18 times this Fall and they are really catching on! I have fallen in love with watching them learn and grow. So much so, that a few weeks back I started researching breeders for another puppy in the Spring of 2023. It just so happened that while I was researching breeders in SD, MN, WI, and other states, that a puppy with a jaw dropping pedigree was growing up just 30 miles from my house. So we now have 3 Springers, all under 3 years old...and I'm still looking at a puppy in the Spring of 2023-4. I'm going to need a bigger boat.

On the shotgun front, I shoot a .12 gauge Browning Cynergy. My choices are somewhat limited, as I am left handed. I am looking into adding a left handed semi auto this off season. If I'm going to hunt this much, I suppose a back up gun is a good idea.

GSP, grew up with them, was always amazed with their ability to find and recover pheasants, a motor that will not quit. They are what I would consider a more "single purpose" dog, but for one that only pheasant hunts, hard to beat. Might not be the best in your home for the first 6 years or so, but they will calm down and be an amazing family member, they think they are people...querky personalities.

For a shotgun, I have carried the same Rem 11-87 for the last 30ish years. No need to change, just clean after every box or so of reloads, less often when I shot factory loads. Guess my father had Remington shotguns, so that is what I bought...seems he was a smart man, no regrets on that purchase. Someday I might down-size for weight, but I hope that is after retirement.

I have always had goldens. I got my current dog from Gold Eagle retrievers. He has been the best hunting golden I've ever had. He's calm at home, in the truck, and in his crate. He knows when its go time in the field and when its BS'ing time after walking some grass. He isn't going to run down every blade of grass in a slough a hundred miles an hour. My pet peeves are constant yelling at your dog (no obedience, I would rather leave than hear someone constantly screaming at their dog ), dogs that are running wild through the habitat as people are getting in position and a dog that is flat out aggressive. I am lucky though as my normal hunting partners have a GSP and a Lab so I hunt with the best of all worlds so to speak.

I use a Franchi Affinity 12ga. Light, fairly cheap and it is for the most part a benelli.
IMG_1781.jpgIMG_2914.JPG

GSP, grew up with them, was always amazed with their ability to find and recover pheasants, a motor that will not quit. They are what I would consider a more "single purpose" dog, but for one that only pheasant hunts, hard to beat. Might not be the best in your home for the first 6 years or so, but they will calm down and be an amazing family member, they think they are people...querky personalities.

I love GSPs!
They are multi-purpose versatile dogs, Remy!
I hunt in the prairies, fields, woods, and water with mine.
Granted it’s not the same as a great lab in the water but my gsp will locate and retrieve any cripple as good or better than most.
Big ranging in the fields and works closer in the woods Ours is only 5 yrs old, and has been the best house dog ever- great with kids, off the furniture, and out of the kitchen while we’re eating. Great personality, eager to please.

1638808153382.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had a couple GSP's and really liked them but always had labs as I hunt a fair amount of waterfowl too. Then I became interested in Retriever Hunt Tests and later Field Trials and now all I have are labs. Labs fit my lifestyle the best, although a well bred golden isn't out of the question.

I usually shoot a Montefeltro for upland, but I find myself reaching more and more often for a beat up Baikal O/U, I really shoot that gun well.

As I have recommended before, all GSP owners and virtually everyone else who hunts with a dog should read:
RUN RAINEY RUN, by Mel Ellis. It's out of print, but copies can be found on various used-book vendors.

It's the stories of Mel Ellis, an outdoor reporter for the Milwaukee Journal and his brilliant but strong willed dog...and a story of his life, as well. GREAT reading and not a work of fiction, but a true story told by an outdoor reporter. My unqualified recommendation.

Last edited:
I lost my 14-year-old chocolate lab last March. We hunted a lot of ducks and geese and he was also a good upland flusher. I decided to go a different direction this time as I want to focus on upland for the time being. We are picking up a French Brittany on the 28th. Looking forward to the new experience and new dog breed. I typically use a Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge, Benelli SBE1 12 gauge, or my trust Remington 870 12 gauge.

Born and raised in S.Dak. pheasant hunting with my dad was road hunting. Couldn't stand it wanted a dog and to go hunt. Got a weim/vizsla mix that was 3 years old. He was a nice pet but a poor hunter probably due to first 3 years spent in a kennel.
Had a college friend who had a great gsp. Dude was a great trainer and helped me learn about dogs and pheasant hunting with pointing dogs.
Rolled a pickup and my dog got hurt and had to be put down. Got a weim pup , Sheeba , from the ads in back of field and stream or outdoor life. Sheeba turned into a good pointer but exceptional retriever. Have had weims almost always since then. Got my son a gsp that was good dog but not as good in snow filled cattails.
Other friends have had labs that were ok but they don't tolerate heat as well as my weims.
After 40 years switched from a well worn 870 to a cheap Stevens o/u. Bothered me not finding my spent shells and needed a break action for navhda tests.
I hunt almost exclusively for pheasants but really get after them late season. Deer season is over so private ground opens up , snow often makes walking easier , and fewer hunters on the public areas

I love GSPs!
They are multi-purpose versatile dogs, Remy!
I hunt in the prairies, fields, woods, and water with mine.
Granted it’s not the same as a great lab in the water but my gsp will locate and retrieve any cripple as good or better than most.
Big ranging in the fields and works closer in the woods Ours is only 5 yrs old, and has been the best house dog ever- great with kids, off the furniture, and out of the kitchen while we’re eating. Great personality, eager to please.

View attachment 2504
Ok.That is not montana. Good pic.

Wanted a pointing dog that was also an excellent family dog and under 60#. Was told to check out the Braque Francais. Never heard of them before but everyone I talked to who had one had the same things to say. Ours is 4 now and will probably add another next year. He’s been amazing.
I have a Beretta SP1 in 20ga, 28” barrels. I love it and use for everything except waterfowl. Have shot pheasant, blue grouse, pigeons, sharpies, sage grouse with it.

Attachments

• CA73A2A9-9750-4B11-94B2-148F4BD6F92A.jpeg
    CA73A2A9-9750-4B11-94B2-148F4BD6F92A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 2CA255A7-7DD7-45F9-B816-BE34A0F40189.jpeg
    2CA255A7-7DD7-45F9-B816-BE34A0F40189.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
My favorite breed is the wire hairs. They are very intelligent, intense, and versatile if you want them to be. Most are one-man dogs at different degrees ranging from aloof to do not touch me to strangers. Most have a sense of humor and will be playful their whole life. I can't name all my scatterguns as my wife might read this, but my pheasant gun is a 12-gauge Berreta 686 ultralight. My favorite quail guns are Rizzini 400 16, Ithaca 100 20, Ugartachea, falcon 20.

I grew up with labs, hunting a lot of ducks and fair amount of pheasants. I chose Sage with waterfowl in mind, but she was such an awful puppy, that the only way my wife could handle her is if she was tuckered out. Lots of long walks in the country. Finding pheasants became a game that we never stopped playing. She does get to retrieve a lot of ducks and geese, but we are pheasant hunters at heart.

Plus, labs are always the dumbest ones in the room. Never have to worry about her plotting anything more than finding a scrap of food on the ground.

Answered an ad on a local fishing/hunting forum back in 2005 for a 1 year old springer. Didn’t get along with the guys other dog and wanted to find it a good home. Free and included kennel and E collar. As they say the rest is history. Had shot some pheasants accidentally while rabbit hunting when younger but this was my first bird dog. We learned a lot together and he ended up being possibly my once in a life time dog. Time will tell. Sold me on the breed though and currently have number 2 and 3. For guns it varies but I have migrated to all O/U’s for my upland hunting. 28 ga for hunt club scratch bird chasing. 20 and 16 this year to SD. Probably take the 12 next year also as I have a lot of 12 gauge loads so may as well use some up.

Back