Why can't I find Federal Shells

modog1

I have been to every sporting goods store within 2 hours of my house (in upstate NY) and I cannot find any Federal wingshock or prairie storm. I went to bass pro yesterday and was told that the only Federal shells that they carry now are black cloud and have discontinued carrying all Federal Lead. Is this an east coast/NY thing. It looks like I am going to have to stock up at Cabelas when I get to SD. Has anyone else noticed a lack of Federal shells on the shelf.

Yeah I have to some extent. If I remember correctly the Cabela's near me didn't have much for Wingshok either, but had the new Prairie Storm, which according to the salesperson was selling very well. Possibly Federal is trying to promote the Prairie Storm might explain why the reason for lack of Wingshok.

Here in Minnesota we have a farm store chain (Fleetfarm) and I did see a good selection of Federal Premium Wingshok last time I was there.

Just a thought, but you might consider the Kent Ultimate Fast Lead as an alternative. Comes in a variety of load and shot sizes. Previously, I was a hard core Wingshok man myself and starting using the Kent last year and have been pleasantly surprised by it. It's a few bucks cheaper and everything about it from how it patterns to results in the field, equals the Federal stuff.

Last edited:
I don't know if you Walmart or not but they had a great selection of Federal wing shok 4,5 and 6. It is right across from cabela's in Mitchell, $12.97 a box I bought a case because I am also afraid that they may do a away with it opting for the Praire Storm stuff. Last year my local Bass Pro, if i remember correctly, said the owners had a tiff with Federal and did not and would not have much in Federal ammo. I am not positive it was Federal but that is what I am remembering at least now.

Buy Pheasant hunting ammo in Pheasant country. You will have a better selection and find way better prices. I live in northern Minnesota part of my year and in South Dakota the rest. If you can even find lead shot pheasant loads in northern Minnesota. You will pay dearly for them. I bought mine at Runnings farm store in Southern Minnesota. They had specially loaded Fioochi lead shot Pheasant loads 1.25oz HV for $8.99 a box.less then half what I would have paid for similar loads in the north land. They have Runnings in South Dakota, Minnesota and a few other surrounding states. Check around if your interested.

http://www.myrunnings.com/Stores/tabid/75/Default.aspx

they kill too

Picture011-3.jpg

Last edited:
WoW Onpoint !! I'm impressed with those Pheasant loads. Not only do they kill the bird but they pluck them as well....:thumbsup:

Blew the feathers right off him...LOL:cheers:

Misses? There are no stinken misses..LOL:thumbsup::cheers:

I think I am going to give the Fiocchi's a try. Just got a Cabelas coupon in the mail, I am going to hit the one in Mitchell on my way in. A week from today I will be bustin the brush in SD, can't wait!!! Thanks everyone for the info.

I grabbed 5 boxes of Fiocchi HV's for $10.25 a box in Britton, SD this week. I've used Fiocchi's before and I've had good success with them in my Beretta O/U. My cousin picked up some of the Fiocchi's too but he had jamming problems using them in his Ithaca semi-auto. I had a couple boxes of Federal PF Wing-Shoks with me so I suggested he try those and he had no further problems.

I've had good success with them in my Beretta O/U..[/QUOTE said:
Once again, why I shoot doubles. I got tired of auto's which couldn't digest but certain brands/types of ammo.

Back