Who's going to hunt in the snow?

bauerline

Looks like we are to get some snow in the area on Saturday. Who's going out to chase some birds around? I'm planning on going in the morning but it may be raining at that time and not have changed over to snow yet. I prefer to hunt in snow instead of rain.

We just just back from a perfect morning hunt! One of those mornings when everything just goes right,dog work, weather, no one else hunting. The only thing missing was my shooting,Dugan flushed a beautiful long tailed Rooster that I some how missed! It didn't matter, it was still a great morning!
So I'll have to see what kind of shape Dugan is in,He's been hunting hard since the grouse opener and the season has just begun!

Good luck tomorrow and be safe! Hope you get to hunt in some snow.

The last I checked we are suposed to get 3-6 inches. But that is different from what they were saying in the morning.

Had a chance to run the dogs for a little after work for about an hour. Put up 2 hens and kicked out 2 doe. Also saw a big hawk that the dogs didn't like. The first week has been a good one and at least the dogs were able to work on some birds each time out. I would love to keep that streak up.

Glad you had a good morning FLDBRED. Give Dugan an extra treat when you feed him. He may forgive you for missing that bird:)

Good luck if you head out tomorrow.

Im leaving for Potter Mon-Thur for grouse/pheasant. Dan do you know if the fish commision properties got stocked with pheasants this year? I hunt the Oswayo hatchery grounds every year.

John,

The Oswayo Fish Hatchery is still "SCHEDULED" to receive birds this year.As you know because of the flooding the bird numbers are down and Potter County never received large number of birds anyway,and when you divide it up by four stocking locations... well you're looking at a few dozen birds at each site.The more traditional pheasant hunting Counties seem to be less effected. "hint" Have a great hunt and let us know how you make out.

Dan

The weather got the best of me and I decided not to take the dogs out. It is a very wet snow and I don't think the birds would want to fly much. Things look better for Monday afternoon.

Wimp!!! Just kidding, I don't think much would be going on out there while it's coming down. You're lucky to be able to go out after work! Can't wait to get back out there!

You made me feel bad so I took the dogs out. I could hear the tree limbs falling and decided to go back home. The switch grass fields are flat and the cover took a hard hit. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Im leaving early Tue morning, my friend thats up there since last week said not as many hunters as in past years. But we have some great grouse numbers to make up for the lower number of pheasants.

Hit sgl 249 in Adams county today. The dogs had a few points and we ended up getting 6 roosters and 1 woodcock. But I didn't have a shot on any of them. They all flew the wrong way out of the hedgerows (right way for the birds). Can't wait to get back out again.

I was out again today. The dogs pointed a couple of hens and one rooster that was too close to a safety zone. The dogs will get 2 days off and then I'll be guiding on Saturday for our PF chapter youth hunt. I took off Monday to head out to the gamelands around Adams and York county. I'm also guiding on November 12 for our PF veterans hunt. The dogs will be getting plenty of work.

That's a lot of great work you are doing! One person can make a difference. I truely believe if more people got involved we could have the type of pheasant hunting we wish for! The PGC is doing a great job but they can't do it alone!

I ended up taking the dogs out to SGL 249 on Friday. They had a few nice points and we put up 8 birds. Had a good shot at one and missed it:(
That is what I get for thinking and not just shooting.

Hey, that is some good action! Don't worry I've been missing some easy ones too. We're heading out tomorrow, It's been to long already,can't wait.

Just got in, we had a great hunt. Dugan was on top of his game and it was fun to watch and it was perfect weather. We didn't score on a rooster but we did manage to flush two hens.It was a great day to be outdoors!

My son was home from college. He wanted to bird hunt. Beautiful day. Put up 3 birds, killed one. Birds are not holding well, but sure was better than sitting at home. Steve

Back