Who's Going this weekend?

Nick

I wasn't able to make it out last weekend, so tomorrow is my OPENING day! My buddy is picking me up in about 10 minutes and we are outta here. Good luck and be safe to everyone afield this weekend.:cheers:

I got out for a short hunt Sat, went to the Cats game, then left for Italy at 5am Sunday. Sitting in Newark airport with my flight delayed. Also found out that my wife took my setter out for a run. He got cut, stitches, not hunting him for 10 days. Nice start to the season:-(

Good luck to you on your "opener" hope you have a great time afield. Setternut I am sorry to hear about the pup. Hopefully he will be good to go in no time flat.

was planning to go but staying home

went out last weekend to clay center. saw 10 coveys, probably 150 quail. shot 10 and 6 phez. ran the dogs hard, too hard.

staying home and spending $200 (split between 4 others) on quail and training the dogs.

good luck - wind is supposed to be nasty, think the warm front has come in and will approach 72 degrees in central ks.

Well, I saw quite a few birds which was encouraging. About 100 pheasants and 5 coveys of quail. On the down side, the wind was getting after it and the birds weren't holding very well. Had a 2 solid points on roosters cashed in on one (got the stink eye from Champ on the other), the got 3 quail. This was quite a bit better than id expected.

Good luck to you on your "opener" hope you have a great time afield. Setternut I am sorry to hear about the pup. Hopefully he will be good to go in no time flat.

Thanks, I got a chance to look him over this morning. He is going to be out of action for more than a week, Then I am going to need to keep it covered up since there isn't much fur there to protect it.

So I took the 5 month old pup out today. He is going to be a good one I think. I wanted to put him on some quail but we did not find any. He did point a pheasant that I could have shot. But I have not done as much gun exposure as I would like with him. So I fire the other direction as he was chasing. He stopped, recognizing the shot. So I need to do some more gun exposer before I shoot one over him. I don't think he at much risk of becoming gun shy, likes birds too much, but there is not need to take any chances.

Glad to hear you and some of the other guys are finding some birds.

Setternut in addition to keeping it covered I would also recommend some EMT gel. I got some from cabelas bit you may be able find it locally. I love the stuff and hope to never have to use it for anything more than minor knicks and cuts. Hope the new pup comes around in the mean time. Good luck to the rest of you out in the field.

Last edited:
hunted a full day today ended up with some birds for the group but figured out that the KDWP has absolutely no idea how many birds there are around here becouse we found a SHITLOAD literally every place we went they were there in droves

Sergeants in addition to keeping it covered I would also recommend some EMT gel. I got some from cabelas bit you may be able find it locally. I love the stuff and hope to never have to use it for anything more than minor knicks and cuts. Hope the new pup comes around in the mean time. Good luck to the rest of you out in the field.

I have some emt gel, the edges are closed pretty well, just needs a little time and he will be good as new.

My wife feels real bad that he got hurt while she was running him. I had to go to Italy all week for work. She was just being good to the dogs and letting them get out and run. That stuff happens.

Ace, the one with the cut was crying like a baby when I left him at home today. Its going to be a long week or so for him.

But it gets me a chance to get the young pup Indy out on his own. Won't likely be shooting any birds over him this week, but every time they get out when they are young, pays off big when the get to be a little older.

Sounds like the birds are hit and miss around the state. A tougher year than last year for sure. But still fun to get out with the dogs.

nope just like everyother government agensy bloomin idiots they have no idea and speaking of idiots i ran into the governors ontarage today they all waved and i kept driving morons when are they going to learn no one likes them in rural america

I don't think it is a matter of not knowing that they aren't liked but rather they don't care. They are where they want to be now and they don't care who got them there or vice versa.

Went out today and hunted around Clay County till about noon. Saw 2 coveys of quail, 1 rooster and a bunch of hens. Wind was horrible, birds were running on us and it felt like a warm summer day. Can't wait till we get some snow on the ground! On a better note I checked the tree cam today and discovered a new resident is visiting my feeder!

Back