Whoa is me

Jubilee

Well, this year is starting off about as great as the last half of last year ended for me. This last season I lost my young (2yr old lab) Abbey in October, when she got loose one night, which had never happened before. I found her when I got home from work on the highway and next to a raccoon, which I can only speculate she was chasing and somebody clipped her. This was going to be her break out season, so great start.

I had just acquired an older male Pointer for the purpose of breeding him to my little Lucy-Lu, it was time to get a pup out of her before it was too late, but not until after the hunting season, (didn't want to put her on the shelf for the season with pups). Well long story short, I just laid Lucy to rest on the 13th, Cancer got her, it came on in a hurry. We finished hunting season in style, but it seemed like right after the season was over, almost to the day it ended, things changed. The Vet confirmed what I already knew was going on, I had seen the same thing in two of her littermates that my buddy had owned. Her sister had passed 2 years ago and her brother a year later. I was hoping that maybe that maybe that gene or whatever had skipped her, but I was not so lucky. That was the hardest thing I've ever done.

So now I am down to just the old male pointer, which I never really wanted in the first place, him and I are not on the same page yet as to hunting styles, not sure we will be. My buddy is trying to convince me to start looking for a new pup (Because that is just what you do...) Well that was sort of my plan to have a pup out of Lucy and get the ball rolling on having her successor. But now I'm back to square one on the Lab and pointer front (which I do a lot of waterfowl hunting as well) If not for the dogs, I don't think I would waterfowl or upland hunt near as much, for me all my hunting is to see my dogs work and the hours of training that we do together pay off, or in most cases show me what we need to work on more.

Sorry for the Vent or whatever you like to call it, just needed to do something to continue to cope with the holes in my heart

Last edited:
It is really tough to loose them.
I lost one more than a year ago, and I still think of him often.

They don't live as long as we do, nothing we can do about it.

Sue flunked backyard training. She had to stay home opening day. When I did take her, she did everything perfectly (ten months old). She was my dog of a lifetime. My only breeder.

Sue died of cancer at six years old. For weeks I had to watch her slip away. It was torture. Luckily for me, I had her daughter and soon I had her granddaughter.

Best to jump right back in especially this year when quail carryover is looking good. You already committed to a new pup.

Jubilee,

Many of us can sympathize with what you have gone and going through. I lost a great Britt at 4 yrs old to a car, she was an escape artist and found a weak link in her kennel and climbed out. I had a half sister to her (4 months younger) and when I laid belle in the back of my bronco, Nellie sniffed her a couple times and turned her back to her and sat so tall and statuesque. one of the hardest days in my life. This past fall I put my last Britt of 14 yrs down for same reason of cancer, it never gets any easier. I'm fortunate that I have a young lab and Britt to work. But there doesn't seem to be a day that I don't find myself thinking of my previous hunting partners, memories that last a lifetime it is just to bad their time with us is so short.

Post here as often as you need and know your among friends.

I'm sorry for your loss and your unfortunate circumstances. It's strange the way life has good streaks and bad streaks. You go through a rough patch and then hit a great patch on the other side...

Hopefully a long streak of good times will begin with your next pup!:cheers:

sorry man

Sorry to hear about your loss. Same here. Hunting dogs escape to go hunt in the off season. Cant do much about it. When they get the itch they bolt. Lost my 12 year old setter last september. Car. This season was the toughest one ive had because of it. Spread his ashes in his favorite pheasant field so Ill always have the memory when I go back and hunt there. Then I got a new little setter pup about 3 weeks ago. Its what we do. Gotta do it for the dogs.

Thanks fellas. I got a couple leads on some upcoming Pointer litters that are possibly on the way. My problem on jumping into a new pup, is I am just too dam picky in my "old" age (Late 30's);). I'm not going to just get the first pup that is available and hope for the best. Same goes for a possible new lab pup. Drives my wife nuts when we have looked at pups in the past together, she knows more than likely I'm going to look at the same pup and parents 2 or 3 times, then talk myself into waiting for a different one. So far my stance on picking dogs has worked well for me.

Your supporters are right, most of us have suffered loss prematurely in the past. Whatever method you use to get a pup, start it today and then do the time. I've almost made it to the end of the garden with dog graves. Some went too young and others lived longer than most ever do. There's no good way to lose one. There are hundreds of good ways to get a new one! Good luck!

Back