Whistle counts/sightings

jaytee

Went out the other morning to do a whistle count and I was pleasantly suprised at what I heard. I went to 5 different spots and heard quail at 3 of them and at 2 of those spots I heard multiple quail. And I was talking to a neighbor and he's been hearing birds and then just today here at work I was talking to a co-worker who lives just a few miles from me and he's been hearing quail at two different locations at his place. Anybody else have any positve reports? Also read on another forum where a turkey hunter in Northern MO seen quail chicks on the 5th of May.

That is great news to hear. I am from the springfield area and I'm hoping to get my new pup out this year on the quail. This next week i'm hoping to get out to the Bois d'arc conservation area and take a walk. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything or hopefully even flush somethin up to get my dog some exposure.

Have a question for Mo. or any serious quail hunter. Have seen at least 3 different pair of male quail together and was wondering whats up with that? Knowing they wont have little ones but hopefully just didnt see the hens they were with as they were on there nests. Also what keeps are limited number of quail from inbreeding, thought this might be reason for the males being together but only mother nature knows for sure.

I have been enjoying listening to the whistling around my place this year, strange sound compared to the last 3-4 years. Have 8-10 pairs working within 1/2 mi. radius. At least two in the 20 acre hayfield next to me. Guess what? They are cutting hay today in this field. Been expecting it, but still like a kick in the gut to me! Hopefully the pairs survive & can renest soon.

I hear ya' Lucky on the mowing machines, just makes me cringe. Hopefully they will make it and have plenty of time to renest at least once and maybe even twice.

I jumped several about 3 or 4 weeks ago, most of them being small chicks about the size of a bluebird maybe. Jumped about 10 or so Friday evening, they looked full grown.

Saw a lone rooster running down the road south of my house a couple days ago, that has to count for something right?

Buddy has a food plot he watches carefully for deer. He had a covey of 18 feeding. Says that half was this years hatch. This was last week in Buffalo.

quail

Talked to a neighbor who farms several different places tonight. He claims to have seen more young birds than he has ever seen here. He has only been here about 6 years by the way. He sounded pretty promising never the less.

Well I wandered around gravel roads for about 2 hours, went by the duck club and looked at the dry cracked ground, looking for doves, and found a few in a sunflower field, did not see quail. But I have sneaking belief there will be quail. Long dry summer, with a warmer spring, lead me to believe a little bounce back for quail this year. I'll be out scouting doves and I'll keep an eye for quail, morning this time to here some quail calls!

Well I wandered around gravel roads for about 2 hours, went by the duck club and looked at the dry cracked ground,

Same thing on my ponds too O&N. It will be a tough year for duck hunting for much of the U.S.

I'm curious as to how many ducks and geese I'll get in this fall for waterfowl taxidermy vs. years past.

But, like you, I'm optimistic about our upland hunting this fall. All things (at least around here) are looking good. Saw more signs of chicks yesterday at my dad's place.:cheers:

Same thing on my ponds too O&N. It will be a tough year for duck hunting for much of the U.S.

I'm curious as to how many ducks and geese I'll get in this fall for waterfowl taxidermy vs. years past.

But, like you, I'm optimistic about our upland hunting this fall. All things (at least around here) are looking good. Saw more signs of chicks yesterday at my dad's place.:cheers:

We got lucky on the marsh, the mowing and discing did a little bit of good. We were out to get crowded out by the cattails. We got some revenge for a few years, till it gets to wet to work. We got a great well, sub-irrigated from the Missouri River, so well have water, if any ducks stay by and don't fly by to Lousiana, or places wet and have crops! Quail and pheasants locals will tough it out will us.

Talked to a co-worker who picked up 500 acres this summer. He's said he's got into at least 4 coveys on the new place while out and about. Got an invite to come out and hunt it. He's got beagles, so he needs me to supply the bird dogs. I'll be happy to oblige!

Anyone need a pup, check out my litter of pointers in the puppy section.

Was doing some last minute dove scouting tonight after the rains quit and bumped into a massive covey of quail on a local conservation area. Had the new 60 year old Ithaca 37 16 guage in my hands and it was all I could do not to shoulder it. Covey rise of 3's and 4's scattered out over a minute.

Saw a nice covey of quail scoot across a hiway in Ray county today, 12 or so. Crops have deteriorated into fields of rag weed, this was across from one of those!

I'd guess every bit of 25 birds, but maybe my excitement was getting to me, it was a big covey though.

They all were flying good, if they weren't full grown they were darn close.

Have seen a covey of from 10 to 12 the last two days in different places that were full grown and healthy looking. Both were in places where there were birds last year and even though I hunted them always try and leave at least 6 in a covey. Hopefully will see more as will begin harvesting crops and if there are birds usually see them then.

Still looking to see my first quail of the year. Been on a lot of different land this year and really surprised I haven't seen anything :confused:

Back