Which upland semi-auto for pheasant?

For what it's worth; I'm not a big auto guy, but the one I've settled on is a Winchester SX4. I like it primarily because it's light and LOP can be shortened to 13.75" which fits me perfectly. It gets the call when I'm hunting in conditions I don't want to subject the Citori too...

My wife hunts with nothing but an auto, she swears by her Beretta A300...

Last edited:
For what it's worth; I'm not a big auto guy, but the one I've settled on is a Winchester XS4. I like it primarily because it's light and LOP can be shortened to 13.75" which fits me perfectly.

My wife hunts with nothing but an auto, she swears by her Berttea A300...
I think you will like the SX4, I had an SX3 in camo which I used for everything for several years; found the new Browning A5 12 gauge camo to be a bit lighter so started using that. The SX4 appears to be a good buy.

I think you will like the SX4, I had an SX3 in camo which I used for everything for several years; found the new Browning A5 12 gauge camo to be a bit lighter so started using that. The SX4 appears to be a good buy.
I have the SX4 and it's a phenomenal gun for the price.

I would recommend a use Remington 1100. Sent thousands of rounds thru them when shooting collegiately without any issues. My dad also shot trap and hunted with his without issue, he also sent thousands of rounds down range. I have recently purchased a lot 20 1100 and love it!

I am going to buy my first semi by next fall. Love the A400 xplor look by Beretta. Not sure I would spend much more. Is the appearance going to justify the near double price tag of the A300 Outlander?

I would recommend a use Remington 1100. Sent thousands of rounds thru them when shooting collegiately without any issues. My dad also shot trap and hunted with his without issue, he also sent thousands of rounds down range. I have recently purchased a lot 20 1100 and love it!
Yeah, I've used 1100s, and 1187s for years.Never a problem. Only clean once a year.Oil them down, then use wd40.Good to go...

I am going to buy my first semi by next fall. Love the A400 xplor look by Beretta. Not sure I would spend much more. Is the appearance going to justify the near double price tag of the A300 Outlander?
I won a A300 thru DU this year but received it after hunting season, I haven't taken it out yet but I like the weight. Only draw back, very minor, is it is a 3 shot max. Mine is the synthetic stock so it might become my new waterfowl gun.

Just sold mine had the A400 xplor after 50 years of having the safety either on top of the receiver or behind the trigger I just could not get used to it being in front of the trigger. Don't get me wrong the gun shot wonderful was light but I could not get use to that safety. Took it out to South Dakota last year along with my CZ Upland Ultralight, after one morning using the Beretta it never left the truck again and was sold when I got back. Just too old to change I guess.

I shoot a few different guns for upland but my favorite Sodak gun is my Browning Maxxus, It is light and it points for me I have a longer LOP. my old gun was a Charles Daly from the 60/70's that I bought used, That particular gun has put down everything under the sun but I retired it last year to the gun case and it was only a 2 3/4" gun, but it fit me like a glove. Most of the current auto's are pretty good nowadays but getting them to fit is the key.

I have lusted after a semiauto upland shotgun my whole life. Found a cheap one that I hunted with all season with the exception of the last hunt and loved it. Unfortunately it broke. So I would like to spend a little more than $250 on my next one. Sadly my budget maxes out at about $1,000.

Those of you that hunt with one, I would really like to hear pros and cons and any suggestions or recommendations. Of course pictures are always appreciated. :)

Thanks!
Just purchased a Franchi Affinity 3 20 ga anodized barrel for my son who just became a Marine. I shoot a Benelli Ethos 20 and must say Franchi at half the price as my Ethos is a definite equal. Franchi came with a few upgrades I will be adding to my Benelli.. Ross's coin and Gun in Idaho Falls has a all black model on the shelf..

Back