Which Dog?

dwallac3

I have had an English Setter for 13 years now and saddly he has cancer and I am going to have to put him down. So I am an avid Pheasant hunter and I am trying to find out what kind of dog to buy. I will mostly be hunting pheasants with the dog and might try to hunt other birds not sure though. I was thinking about a lab since I have always wanted to duck hunt but I know plenty of guys that use upland dogs for duckhunting. So Im thinking of staying into pointer type breeds. What do you guys think. Thanks

I'm partial to wirehairs they have the coat to upland hunt or duck hunt or whatever you want to do and from the ones i've had they have really good drive and nose are only limtied to what you train them to do and the cold does not seem to affect them much,also their really good dogs in the house and with kids.

I have had Brittany's for 40 years, All that I have had would retrieve both Waterfowl and Upland Birds. Theyu are great family dogs. My next dog is still going to be a Brit......Bob

ok Thanks alot I have been looking online and I think as of right now I like the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. It looks like the best breed for me. I am not going to buy this dog for awhile though so I am going to do more research. What do you guys think. Would this be a good breed for me.

Sorry to say I don't know anything about them. I will leave that to the other guys......Bob

Unless your dead set on a pointer, many people just don't know how versatile a good springer is. They make excellent waterfowl dogs, except when busting ice, but anything else is not a challenge for them either. Great size dog for the house. But if your sticking with pointers, there are several great options.The wire hair is a nice dog. Any dog just depends on where you get one and what there out of. All breeds have great dogs that you could be happy with. Just think of the whole picture and decide what is going to fit your life style, in the home out side etc.

Last edited:
another option is find your local navhda club or other bird dog club and go to one of their training days and watch all of the types of dogs in action to help you make a better judgement for your next dog.

My pup is 9 and I have been thinking of what to get when she retires also. Mostly all we do is dove and duck hunt but don't want a Lab.

It's kinda like the hardest thing about fishing in MN, is deciding which lake to go to. Getting a dog is no different when you don't know which breed to go with.:D Good luck with whatever you do. No matter what it will be fun

another option is find your local navhda club or other bird dog club and go to one of their training days and watch all of the types of dogs in action to help you make a better judgement for your next dog.

Bingo. Check out the versitle breeds at NAVHDA.
________
NH SERIES

Last edited:
You say you are considering a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. That might be a good choice for what you are looking to hunt. A couple years ago when I was going to get another dog I looked at a lot of breeds and the WPG was one I took a hard look at. They look much like the German Wirehair Pointer but are a closer and a little slower working dog. Most of the kennels I found would only sell pups to people that were going to hunt them and also have them in the house. Apparently they don't do well kenneled outside as they need to be around people. They are suppose to be a great faimly dog. I decided to stay with a Brittany so never got a WPG.

Where are you located? There are a lot of WPG breeders in Wisconsin. If you would like I can put you in touch with some WPG breeders.

I am located in Central Illinois. IF you are familliar with Illinois I live in the champaign Area out in the country. Wisconsin would be alright with me Its not too far for me to drive. I am not going to be buying a pup for atleast a year due to the fact that I am in school right now and living in an apartment. I will be finishing up in march of next year and will want to buy one around then. I am just getting a jump start on this to make sure I find the right breed. Thanks

dwallac3, If you decide on a WPG, or if you would maybe like to take trip to Wisconsin this summer just to look at some WPG's, I would be happy to get you some names.

I don't know these breeders personally but I have a friend that does. I think there are a few in southern Wisconsin.

Before I bought my last dog I spent about a year researching, and looking at, various breeds. That was almost as much fun as actually getting a new pup. Good luck and have fun!

I am located in Central Illinois. IF you are familliar with Illinois I live in the champaign Area out in the country. Wisconsin would be alright with me Its not too far for me to drive. I am not going to be buying a pup for atleast a year due to the fact that I am in school right now and living in an apartment. I will be finishing up in march of next year and will want to buy one around then. I am just getting a jump start on this to make sure I find the right breed. Thanks

Smart way to go about things, I took up to two years to get a pup out of what I wanted. Once you find one from some dogs you like, it can be worth waiting to get a pup from a certain litter you like, it useualy pays off when you go about it the way you are.

Dakotazeb I would love some names and contact info. I want to visit some breeders to look at the dogs and have some one on one with someone who knows alot about the breed. Thanks

Dakotazeb I would love some names and contact info. I want to visit some breeders to look at the dogs and have some one on one with someone who knows alot about the breed. Thanks

I've emailed my friend and will get you some names as soon as I hear back from him.

I also live in Champaign. I own three German Wirehairs and a Shorthair. My buddy owns a WPG and he also lives in Champaign. If you would like to check out the dogs let me know. You may like the wires as well. IT's a dog that I wouldn't leave out.

Clint

Back