Which do you prefer for wild plains phez?

Which do you prefer for wild plains phez and why?

• O/U

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Pump

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • SxS

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
Which type of shotgun do you prefer for wild plains phez and why : O/U, Semi-Auto, Pump, or SxS?

My browning gold ruined me on semi-auto shotguns. That was the most expensive single shot on the market at the time, guaranteed!!

Semi-auto because of there lighter weight and handling. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

I was a semi auto guy - only use a SXS now - way lighter and I only need 2 shots anyways. I shoot one bird at a time - I've lost enough trying to be greedy and get a double - so shoot one, find it and hunt some more for the next one over a point.

Only would go for a double if the universe aligns and the terrain/conditions are right for attempting one (ie I stoned the 1st bird and it fell in open ground), next one gets up like a report double over the same terrain - so far haven't had that chance in 10 years or more.

My browning gold ruined me on semi-auto shotguns. That was the most expensive single shot on the market at the time, guaranteed!!

That one needed to be kept very clean - I like mine - just dont carry it due to weight - it did not work well with light loads when it's cold out - maybe 20's or lower. Definitely a single shot at that point.

I like them all & don't really have a preference toward one style or another. I do, however, have a definite favorite gun. I use my A5 16 98% of the time, if not 99%. It's pretty, it's nostalgic, it's dependable, and I shoot it well. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but paired with a hot load of 5's (1-1/8 oz. lead for CREP & WIAs; 1 oz. bismuth for GPAs & WPAs), it's pretty deadly most of the time. I'll admit though, once in a while for some reason it does little more than send a warning shot behind their tailfeathers.

That was actually my first semi auto gun and honestly remember it not firing just one time... and I hunted with it a TON. I dropped it in the snow while hunting on a -10 to -20 day... otherwise that thing was my all time favorite gun until my current carry (Vinci). It certainly didn't get cleaned either after each hunt unless it got wet or dirty. I'd buy a gas gun, but I'm a little bit more of an inertia fan now.
Now after saying that, I've heard people had issues... it seems either people loved them or hated them.
Semi-auto because of there lighter weight and handling. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Exactly...

I'm also a fan of OU's but there's that one time each season when that 3rd shell is handy. I went in on a point last week and wasn't convinced my dog had a bird pinned down. It was WINDY (25 mph+) and the bird scarred me to death when it actually jumped... clipped him on the first shot, whiffed all together on the 2nd but brought him down on the 3rd. I rarely ever fire a 3rd shot but if the bird was wounded, it's sure nice to have it. No one is a fan of wounding birds. If I was a dead eye, I'd carry a single shot. :D Semi's are great!

Last edited:
I voted for O/U. For one, I've never shot a SxS so have no opinion there. I have shot autos and pumps. I prefer a double barrel gun because it carries lighter due to being shorter overall which makes for less weight on the forward hand. I like the mechanical simplicity. I like the safety of a break-action gun - never any doubt whether you're loaded or unloaded - just break it open with the flip of a lever and there are the shells - or not. Just break the gun open for instant situational safety while watering the dog, stopping to chat, or taking a breather. Nothing puts the mind more at ease about gun safety afield than seeing broken doubles hanging at the elbows or over the shoulders of other hunters. I like being able to shoot two different chokes and two different loads. If quail come up it's easy to break the gun, slip out the 5s and stick in 8s. Here's a likely truism for the average hunter: the more shells you have in your gun the more you'll miss.

Last edited:
After carrying a Browning 12 Ga A-5 around for forty years, I switched to 16 Ga Fox Sterlingworth SxS. Lighter, better handling and I like having instant choice of chokes. Plus they are just cool looking.

I too, lust for a nice little sxs in 16 or 20 ga. However, I usually find myself firing a warning shot, or two, at the birds therefore I like having that third shot.

I too, lust for a nice little sxs in 16 or 20 ga. However, I usually find myself firing a warning shot, or two, at the birds therefore I like having that third shot.

Warning shots are very humane and sporting. :D

Have always carried Autoloaders when hunting. Just what I'm used to. Other than that I guess I just like the extra firepower.

I voted for O/U. For one, I've never shot a SxS so have no opinion there. I have shot autos and pumps. I prefer a double barrel gun because it carries lighter due to being shorter overall which makes for less weight on the forward hand. I like the mechanical simplicity. I like the safety of a break-action gun - never any doubt whether you're loaded or unloaded - just break it open with the flip of a lever and there are the shells - or not. Just break the gun open for instant situational safety like watering the dog, stopping to chat, stopping for a breather. Nothing leaves the mind more at ease about safety than seeing broken doubles hanging at the elbows or over the shoulders of other hunters. I like being able to shoot two different chokes and two different loads. If quail come up it's easy to break the gun, slip out the 5s and stick in two 8s. Here's a likely truism for the average hunter: the more shells you have in your gun the more you'll miss.
Nice points throughout your post. Only O/U for me anymore.:)

I've been known, on occasion, to warn 'em 3 times. Then I yell, "AAAAND STAY OUT!!!" And watch them fly away... :laugh:

I only ever load 3 in my semi. Pretty rarely ever shoot more than twice anyway. For me, I really appreciate the light kick of the semi. Not that I'm shooting enough shells to make recoil a factor... But less kick is nice even if you only shoot a couple shells a day.
:cheers:

Autoloader. Benelli cordoba 20 gauge. Best handling and shooting shotgun I've owned. 3rd shot is used infrequently but it's nice to have when needed.

My vote was for O/U. However, I have a nice little 20 gauge auto-loader that is a really good pheasant gun. I like to carry this gun when quail hunting, or when pheasant hunting in our HUGE group opening weekend. I have struggled to reload so many times at the end of a field when birds are exploding everywhere and I've found it to be handy to have a few extra shells at my disposal. But if we're out in Western KS and it's just a couple of us hunting small pieces of cover the Red Label 20 gauge gets most of the action.

I voted for O/U. For one, I've never shot a SxS so have no opinion there. I have shot autos and pumps. I prefer a double barrel gun because it carries lighter due to being shorter overall which makes for less weight on the forward hand.

If you ever see one - handle an SKB model 385 or a model 485 (both have choke tubes) -- I found what I thought was a good deal on Armslist from a guy in Michigan and bought it site unseen for $1500 - now the only gun I hunt with. Woods nice and so is the build quality.

Second choice maybe a CZ Ringneck -- I've only handled them in the store but I think I like the balance of my SKB better.

I've wanted a Browning BSS and may buy one someday but most owners are pretty proud and the lack of choke tubes has kept me from getting one - I'll need more disposable "toy" income before I buy one.

Used to shoot an A5 Light(er) 20. Must have used that for 20 years or more before going sxs. Towards the end I only loaded it with 3 shells. Same reasons others have given: weight in the forearm, lack of success on shot #4, too lazy to take the plug out after dove season, etc.

Once in a while I miss the third shell. But really only after two misses--those stringing flushes where you could fire three shots at three different birds and possibly miss them all. Had one of those right after Thanksgiving this year. As someone else has suggested, IMO two birds on the ground at once means you're less likely to pick up even one, in many situations.

Give me the SXS now. Safety, simplicity, hearing my own drum, etc.

i voted pump gun; the trusty Remington 870 has done the job for me for many years...and having said that, I also have a Remington 1100 Special Field in 20ga, which is a really sweet little gun for quail and doves...but for pheasants and ducks, I'm shooting the 870. Or Mossberg 835:D

Back