Which do you prefer for wild plains phez?

Which do you prefer for wild plains phez and why?

• O/U

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Pump

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • SxS

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
That one needed to be kept very clean - I like mine - just dont carry it due to weight - it did not work well with light loads when it's cold out - maybe 20's or lower. Definitely a single shot at that point.

I carried a cleaning kit with me in my shell bag. That thing was spotless all the time and still was an expensive single shot. I want a gun that I don't have to second guess myself if its going to fire or not. Pumps!!

I carried a cleaning kit with me in my shell bag. That thing was spotless all the time and still was an expensive single shot. I want a gun that I don't have to second guess myself if its going to fire or not. Pumps!!

Hmm maybe you had a dud - only issues I ever had with mine was when it was really cold (20's or lower it seemed) and if I didnt hold the gun into my shoulder and was a tad dirty - other than that worked pretty damn good. If you still have it may be worth calling Browning or getting it into a gunsmith.

I had owned a Ruger 10/22 for about 10 years and was ready to throw it in the trash - entire time I owned it...would never go through a magazine without jamming. They took it back at their factory and fixed it no questions asked...I was blown away - either they new something was wrong per the serial # on that gun or they were really willing to stand behind their product - maybe Browning could do a similar thing - worth a call if you still have it. My buddy that is new to hunting always carries my Browning Gold with no issues whenever we go out.

This season, I've been using my Mossberg 930, as it is new to me and my only semi. Has worked like a champ in Idaho on Ruffed Grouse, Sharpies and Hun's. In Ca., has done equally well on Quail and Chukar. Normally, I use my 20ga Wingmaster, but, I'm liking this 930. A lot!

I was a semi auto guy - only use a SXS now - way lighter and I only need 2 shots anyways. I shoot one bird at a time - I've lost enough trying to be greedy and get a double - so shoot one, find it and hunt some more for the next one over a point.

Only would go for a double if the universe aligns and the terrain/conditions are right for attempting one (ie I stoned the 1st bird and it fell in open ground), next one gets up like a report double over the same terrain - so far haven't had that chance in 10 years or more.

Pretty much the way I feel about it too. My old Superposed has never failed to fire and if I do get a chance at a double, I usually pass unless I can see the first one laying dead in the stubble.

Jerry

Hmm maybe you had a dud - only issues I ever had with mine was when it was really cold (20's or lower it seemed) and if I didnt hold the gun into my shoulder and was a tad dirty - other than that worked pretty damn good. If you still have it may be worth calling Browning or getting it into a gunsmith.

I had owned a Ruger 10/22 for about 10 years and was ready to throw it in the trash - entire time I owned it...would never go through a magazine without jamming. They took it back at their factory and fixed it no questions asked...I was blown away - either they new something was wrong per the serial # on that gun or they were really willing to stand behind their product - maybe Browning could do a similar thing - worth a call if you still have it. My buddy that is new to hunting always carries my Browning Gold with no issues whenever we go out.

I never had a bit of trouble with my Browning Gold cycling either, and we used to shoot sporting clays at least once a month all year in addition to hunting. Sold it when I got more serious into waterfowling, and wanted a camo gun that would shoot 3.5" shells. Anyway, I always thought it was a great gun, and I didn't baby mine by any means... It got plenty dirty between cleanings and just kept on going bang...

I wonder if some serial #s or years of manufacture are better than others?

O/U for me because I'm married to a Sooner...oops, that's not the question? But yes, an O/U is my go to most of the time. I do use an A5 Sweet 16 as well but my Cynergy Feather is half the weight.

When I was a kid (back in the last century) my granddad gave me a sweet little 20ga SxS. I could hit anything with it. When I was overseas my Dad traded it for a Rem auto, thinking he was doing me a favor. Wrong! Since then I've tried them all (and almost all brands - cheap to expensive.) I shot competitive skeet for many years with a set of Rem 870s. My wife used 1100s. I now only use two shotguns for anything. My main gun is a Beretta SxS 20 and my foul weather beater gun is a Browning BPS Upland 16ga. If I couldn't use a SxS I would use an O/U.

Nice points throughout your post. Only O/U for me anymore.:)

Thank you and I appreciate and follow your advice to make time for howling at the moon. :D

Warning shots are very humane and sporting. :D

I too, lust for a nice little sxs in 16 or 20 ga. However, I usually find myself firing a warning shot, or two, at the birds therefore I like having that third shot.

Both of those are great! lol... Soooo, exactly how many warning shots are appropriate (to be more "humane and sporting") and how big should the extension magazines we should all have be?? ;)

(btw... I certainly know how to fire a warning shot here and there too!)

I use a 20 gauge 11-87, a 12 gauge11-87, a 12 guage 870 sp, A 12 guage 1928, A-5 mag.A Beretta EE-LL, and an LC SMITH 16 guage.Fir reliability, you can't beat the 870, and the a-5.

If you ever see one - handle an SKB model 385 or a model 485 (both have choke tubes) -- I found what I thought was a good deal on Armslist from a guy in Michigan and bought it site unseen for $1500 - now the only gun I hunt with. Woods nice and so is the build quality.

Second choice maybe a CZ Ringneck -- I've only handled them in the store but I think I like the balance of my SKB better.

I've wanted a Browning BSS and may buy one someday but most owners are pretty proud and the lack of choke tubes has kept me from getting one - I'll need more disposable "toy" income before I buy one.

Thanks for the tips. The SKB and CZ look like nice guns. I'm pretty happy with my Browning 625/12 w/28" barrels.

Last edited:
One thing that has kept me from converting to an O/U has been the weight of them. ( 12 ga that is)I primarily hunt public land which leads to a lot of walking. I have been eyeing a Browning 725 Feather but I have read that an alloy receiver doesn't hold up as well as steel or wears faster.

So, for you gentlemen who own and shoot O/U's, I would like your opinions on this. Keep in mind I'm a hunter first and only shoot clays a few times a year. Mainly after I give the birds to many warning shots.

Shot a 1100 12 guage most of my life but that all changed when my wife bought me a Beretta 686 20 guage 6 or 7 years ago. Haven't looked back and am selling off most of my 12 Guage in the safe. Switching from a Black Labrador to GSPS about the same time. I shoot 2 3/4 5s till about December 1st. Then switch to 3 inch 5s thru a skeet/ IC tube. It just works for me.

They made alot of dudes, because I had one to. Only auto I had a problem with, and through the years I have had several.

One thing that has kept me from converting to an O/U has been the weight of them. ( 12 ga that is)I primarily hunt public land which leads to a lot of walking. I have been eyeing a Browning 725 Feather but I have read that an alloy receiver doesn't hold up as well as steel or wears faster.

So, for you gentlemen who own and shoot O/U's, I would like your opinions on this. Keep in mind I'm a hunter first and only shoot clays a few times a year. Mainly after I give the birds to many warning shots.

I would not recommend an alloy receiver for heavy duty clay shooting (thousands of rounds per year) but for normal hunting, I think a quality gun will last several lifetimes. I bought a Citori feather a few years ago for the rare instance that I need to use steel loads. I remember being annoyed that it was chambered for three inch shells when it could probably be a few ounces lighter with 2 3/4 inch chambers, but that may be a good compromise for shooting steel.

Jerry

That was actually my first semi auto gun and honestly remember it not firing just one time... and I hunted with it a TON. I dropped it in the snow while hunting on a -10 to -20 day... otherwise that thing was my all time favorite gun until my current carry (Vinci). It certainly didn't get cleaned either after each hunt unless it got wet or dirty. I'd buy a gas gun, but I'm a little bit more of an inertia fan now.
Now after saying that, I've heard people had issues... it seems either people loved them or hated them.

Exactly...

I'm also a fan of OU's but there's that one time each season when that 3rd shell is handy. I went in on a point last week and wasn't convinced my dog had a bird pinned down. It was WINDY (25 mph+) and the bird scarred me to death when it actually jumped... clipped him on the first shot, whiffed all together on the 2nd but brought him down on the 3rd. I rarely ever fire a 3rd shot but if the bird was wounded, it's sure nice to have it. No one is a fan of wounding birds. If I was a dead eye, I'd carry a single shot. :D Semi's are great!
One time, I was hunting geese , on the Yellowstone, floating, and I dropped my a-5 in the river!!! #%}#%^. Fished it out, and fired it 15 minutes later. It cycled perfectly . Great gun, I may have to take it, the last week.

I would not recommend an alloy receiver for heavy duty clay shooting (thousands of rounds per year) but for normal hunting, I think a quality gun will last several lifetimes. I bought a Citori feather a few years ago for the rare instance that I need to use steel loads. I remember being annoyed that it was chambered for three inch shells when it could probably be a few ounces lighter with 2 3/4 inch chambers, but that may be a good compromise for shooting steel.

Jerry

That's what I have been reading about the alloy in O/U's.

I have been shooting 20 ga the last few years because of the lighter weight and reduced recoil, however it is becoming increasingly hard to find non tox shot in the local stores for 20 ga. Everything seems to be 3" steel. That has me thinking of going back to the 12.

Jerry, how do you like your Citori Feather?

I use 16ga sxs. Light to carry at 5.5-6lbs. Classic bird gun. Double triggers. I shoot mine well.I enjoy seeing them in my hands and in photos.

I have pumps and autos but I find myself carrying the pumps the most lately.

Specifically a Ithaca ultralight 20 gauge. With a modified and an ounce of 5's or 6's for grouse,pheasants,and Huns it's about perfect. Even for jump shooting geese it's held its own with steel 3's along side 12 gauges.

Last edited:
Back