Where would you go?

COWAN

I have hunted Kansas since 2010. The farmers that allow me to hunt their ground say its not worth the trip this year, it's that bad. Dry and not any birds compared to last year.
So my question is, I'm considering other states. N. Dakota, S. Dakota, or Iowa. I'll be taking my 17 year old son with me and my Wirehair. What's your thoughts on these states for a first timer? I was considering Nebraska, but I'm hearing it's gotten bad there as well.

What are your expectations? I could get you on some ground in Iowa and would be able to hunt with you. No limits promised, but all wild birds. Might shoot 10 or might shoot 40 depending on crops. PM me if interested.

I have hunted Kansas since 2010. The farmers that allow me to hunt their ground say its not worth the trip this year, it's that bad. Dry and not any birds compared to last year.
So my question is, I'm considering other states. N. Dakota, S. Dakota, or Iowa. I'll be taking my 17 year old son with me and my Wirehair. What's your thoughts on these states for a first timer? I was considering Nebraska, but I'm hearing it's gotten bad there as well.
Find a post by peterevv from last week…great intel about SD…some areas, that is…

I will be making a couple of trips to Iowa this year to hunt with a farmer friend. They have certainly been on an upswing the past several years. For some place “different”, that’s what I would recommend.

That said, there are still birds to hunt in Kansas, so I will do the majority of my hunting here.

Last edited:
Depending on how far north you want to travel, just came back from North Dakota last Friday. Very good hunting in the southwest corner and the northwest corner of the state. last year was the first year the state allowed electronic posting in conjunction with old fashion paper no hunting/ no trespassing. This year the majority are already using electronic posting which makes using apps such as OnX very easy. Lots of places to stay from b&B’s, to hotels all pretty much take pets.
non resident costs around 122 bucks for upland (2 seven day periods selected Electronically. we did also hunt the central portion of the state below Minot but it was much drier- we did still get a couple pheasant limits in that area. Good dogs, good shots on wild birds will do well. The state isn't overrun with hunters.
good luck.

Just back from Nebraska sharp-tail hunting and saw few to make the weekend worth & fun. The temp did get up in the mid to high 70sin the afternoon but the morning was about right. Yes the NW Panhandle showed some of the drought conditions but the State feedback for that part of the state showed about +120+ increase in bird numbers from previous year. So it may be worth a try. It always fun just getting out with family and dogs. We normally go to the NEB SW region but looking forward to getting back to the panhandle for a try.

Based on the photos and YT vids I've seen Montana would be high on my list -- Never really been highly motivated to leave KS during the season -- can't this year but the way things are around here if I want out of state I'd leave now during our bird season.

MT would be a lot closer to you - not sure how cold it gets by Thanksgiving there -- the people were hunting huns, sharpies and thought it didnt appear to be Pheas season were getting into some decent flushes -- better than I've seen in KS in some time. Looked like late Sept early Oct hunts and I dont know Montana well - but guessing with the grasslands it'd be eastern MT -- think the rolling grasslands is mainly E MT. Anyways looked like a helluva time - but could be because they were there so early. Will try my normal place out west KS once - go back if it's good but not expecting much. Reading it's better closer to home on a place I've been to a few times but hate it due to the terrain. Not my favorite to walk in but can be home at the end of the night.

Back