Where to start?

So Grandpa passed some time back and Dad got left 200+ acres of absolutely PRIME farming land in NW Iowa. There is a deep drainage ditch that runs in an L shape around the property. If all goes well, it finally goes in his name this fall.

SO I'd like to push for a buffer strip and habitat, maybe CRP or some program like that. Another portion of the farm was in WRP, and the creekbank had been CRP in the past. Where do I start in seeing what something like that would pay and what steps are necessary to enroll?

Dad is looking to get the high dollar farm rent money out of it, so I've got a tough sell. Purely financially speaking- what other incentives are there for these programs? Tax breaks?

You could probably start by talking to the local NRCS office. Good luck, I hope you get some habitat in.:cheers:

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/index.php

There are CRP. and CRP-33 edge habitat for challenged areas, most states have a bonus programs to increase usage. Good Luck, Iowa needs all it can get. As a parting bit of wisdom find some rank cover, that would be regressing to mono-culture woods, and burn it!

Also, contact your local pheasants forever chapter...they can probably help you out with some of the costs, equipment (if you need it), etc. More than likely, they've got a biologist/conservation planner that will give you a good "plan" of attack to get the most money for your buffer and the best production (phez wise) out of your property.

Contact the Farm service agency for your county. They will point you in the right direction to get the big bucks:thumbsup: Tell dad the crp moneys going to be the same every year. Most big dollar rent around here has drown out grain price clauses. And all the wetland and ground along the ditch will do is lower the rent. Its worth a try:)

CRP on ground like this will be north of $325/acre, most likely.

For a fifteen year sure thing, on some of the poorer ground there, I would think it makes sense.

A buffer to make the ditch straighter makes it easier to farm.

Back