Where to live?

j2ohno

As I retire, I would like to move to South Dakota for the huntin and fishing opportunities. Upland hunting would top the list followed by deer hunting, fishing (mostly for Walleye), and waterfowl. I would like to stay south of I90 for the warmer weather. So looking for sugestion on where to buy a home? Is there any benefits to being west river or east river? Thanks for your inputs.

As I retire, I would like to move to South Dakota for the huntin and fishing opportunities. Upland hunting would top the list followed by deer hunting, fishing (mostly for Walleye), and waterfowl. I would like to stay south of I90 for the warmer weather. So looking for sugestion on where to buy a home? Is there any benefits to being west river or east river? Thanks for your inputs.

Interesting question.

Of the sports mentioned, fishing has the longest season. One could drive to the other sport activities.

And, what would your home budget look like? I'm fairly familiar with the Mobridge area; great fishing opportunities and low-cost housing. Check with Zillow for current listings. Sister -in-law lives there now.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

It sounds like the Chamberlin area would fit you. Either side of the river is close and your in the warmer part of the state.

Budget to about $300K. Is there any benefit as far as Deer season go to being on the west or east side of the river?

Spent some time just across the river and south of Mobridge this Fall and absolutely loved the river beauty and the hunting opportunities. Didn't get to fish but wow talk about rugged beautiful country. SDviking

David0311

After many years hunting and guiding in most of the state—
If it wasn’t for the grand kids and wife:rolleyes:
Would either live in Chamberlain-or-Pierre area-
Great hunting -fishing-and everything you or at least I need
A house over looking the river from the bluffs would be mandatory
And no state income tax? JMO:cheers:

As far as deer hunting it wouldn't matter if you lived east or west river. Chamberlain would be a great fit. Fish are always biting somewhere around there. Not to mention smack dab in some great pheasant hunting areas

View attachment 9169Chamberlain has it all, plus it's easy traveling to Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Pierre for shopping. I've had 7 acres and a cabin there since 2000. I cannot get the wife to retire that far west, so we are going to retire in Garretson. We are building a shop now and bought an acreage but have to sell my Okoboji acreage before we make the residency changes. I'm ok with Garretson, as its 15 minutes from my daughter and grand daughter, and I have a network of hunting ops already in place from 19 years of hunting and fishing in the state. You really cannot chose a bad location, but if the weather is a factor, stay away from anything north of 90 and particularly anything along the Buffalo Ridge in northeastern SD. Cost of living, and no state income tax are primary reasons for relocating for us. I'm not on the Bluffs at Chamberlain. I just say I'm in the cheap seats!

Last edited:
I really enjoy the Yankton area. Plenty of good restaurants and shopping. Good sized hospital and a college. Fishing I hear is good. Lots of public land for pheasant and waterfowl.

This is an intriguing question. When I first started to read it I automatically thought of Pierre. What a sportsman's paradise that town and surrounding area is! But if you want to live a bit farther south I think I would stick close to the river for easy access to the fishing. I would stay close to the interstate just for ease of travel. And I would try to talk to some neighbors before you buy a house, sometimes everything is perfect except for the neighbors and that can ruin it for a guy.

Reddog's view from the cheap seats at Chamberlain IS great! But beware. I hear he has a hell of a time finding any walleyes! ;)

20161126_163027_001.jpg
Nothing to finding them, getting them to bite is the key..

Doesn't meet the I-90 criteria or have the MO Breaks but the pothole region has excellent fishing opportunities (walleyes, perch, smallies, panfish etc.), exceptional waterfowl hunting & while not the best pheasant hunting there are birds to be had. Also tons of public land/access to explore and I suspect you can get more for your money when it comes to land/housing.....

Consider Vivian, a quaint community w/access to I-90. 35 miles to Pierre & the Mo. river. Excellent prarire dog and prairie grouse hunting. Only miles to the Ft. National grasslands. Also, antlelope, deer and duck/ goose hunting. Some of the best pheasant popilations in SD. A best kept secret. Houses are moderately priced, good people and privacy.
PS- In your spare the is ample opportunity to hunt Bear w/aswitch. Ha.

Doesn't meet the I-90 criteria or have the MO Breaks but the pothole region has excellent fishing opportunities (walleyes, perch, smallies, panfish etc.), exceptional waterfowl hunting & while not the best pheasant hunting there are birds to be had. Also tons of public land/access to explore and I suspect you can get more for your money when it comes to land/housing.....

Back in 2000 when I was looking for property, NE SD was definitely a consideration. Webster and Chamberlain were basically a toss travel wise for me.

I90 vs I 29. Advantage chamberlain
Weather: Advantage Chamberlain by a long shot, particularly in the winter.
Hunting ops for me: advantage Chamberlain.
Walleye fishing: Toss up
Multi Species: Advantage Webster
Real estate costs: Advantage Webster
Real estate value long term: Advantage Chamberlain.
I heard from a neighbor that they are opening up some additional unsold lots by my property which have not been available for over ten years.

Back in 2000 when I was looking for property, NE SD was definitely a consideration. Webster and Chamberlain were basically a toss travel wise for me.

I90 vs I 29. Advantage chamberlain
Weather: Advantage Chamberlain by a long shot, particularly in the winter.
Hunting ops for me: advantage Chamberlain.
Walleye fishing: Toss up
Multi Species: Advantage Webster
Real estate costs: Advantage Webster
Real estate value long term: Advantage Chamberlain.
I heard from a neighbor that they are opening up some additional unsold lots by my property which have not been available for over ten years.

Well done Reddog, I would agree with your assessment. However I live in the pothole region due to family ties. This year the winter started in Mid December and may not go away until April. I think we have forgotten how tough winter weather in SD can be. But the fish are biting on the neighboring lakes, snowmobiling has been really good. Wildlife may end up suffering if this is a lingering winter, just a lot of snow cover which makes finding feed tough for them. Good luck with your decision, I don't think you can make a bad one. SDviking

View attachment 9169Chamberlain has it all, plus it's easy traveling to Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Pierre for shopping. I've had 7 acres and a cabin there since 2000. I cannot get the wife to retire that far west, so we are going to retire in Garretson. We are building a shop now and bought an acreage but have to sell my Okoboji acreage before we make the residency changes. I'm ok with Garretson, as its 15 minutes from my daughter and grand daughter, and I have a network of hunting ops already in place from 19 years of hunting and fishing in the state. You really cannot chose a bad location, but if the weather is a factor, stay away from anything north of 90 and particularly anything along the Buffalo Ridge in northeastern SD. Cost of living, and no state income tax are primary reasons for relocating for us. I'm not on the Bluffs at Chamberlain. I just say I'm in the cheap seats!

I would take that view in a split second:10sign:
Looks like May have been taken near scatter gun lodge road area back towards Chamberlain??

Would love to live there spring summer and fall—

When reading this, my thoughts the entire time based off of what you were looking for were Chamberlain. The second option would have been Northeast SD. Reddog did a fantastic job breaking down the pros and cons of each a few posts above. Overall, you can get better weather in Chamberlain. Not uncommon to have a few mid-winter thaw days in Chamberlain whereas NE SD could be winter from Nov-April some years.

Back