Where To Find The Birds This Year . . . .

FredMcIntire

Looking at the extreme weather patterns over the last several years . . . . , flooding, droughts, extreme heat, record low temperatures, and blizzards . . . . , and how they have impacted the bird populations, where would you place your bets for the best locations to hunt this year ?

Which states, and what part of those states, would you hunt for the best success ?

For pheasant? I might suggest China. They are native there. No one owns guns there, so the hunting pressure is quite low. So I think that would probably be the best place. Although I am not sure how to go about hunting there...

where to hunt

if it were me i would get a copy of the kansas pheasant survey as soon as they put the finishing touches on it and then if it turns out wrong they can blame the new guy or the postal service for not counting correctly

cheers

Fredmc, unfortunately there's not a "hot" state this year. With that said, there's still areas within some states with good/decent wild pheasant numbers. South Dakota being one of them. The problem is, the question you're asking really can't be answered accurately until after the season opens.;)

Even in South Dakota, I'm finding that within the same area, some are reporting positive signs while others are not so positive.

Nick

For pheasant? I might suggest China. They are native there. No one owns guns there, so the hunting pressure is quite low. So I think that would probably be the best place. Although I am not sure how to go about hunting there...

Very funny. :p But it would be awesome to hunt pheasant on their native ground in Asia. China should promote its Era of Good Feelings Among Peace Loving Peoples of the World by opening up pheasant areas to western hunters. I know that would really make me love them all the more. :eek:

I couldn't find that video of the guy drilling a pheasant with a slingshot out of a truck in China. That's incredible! There must be plenty of birds there if they can shoot them with slingshots.

where to go

Looking at the extreme weather patterns over the last several years . . . . , flooding, droughts, extreme heat, record low temperatures, and blizzards . . . . , and how they have impacted the bird populations, where would you place your bets for the best locations to hunt this year ?

Which states, and what part of those states, would you hunt for the best success ?

have you lost your humour, you are on a forum ya know??? for one thing, read, you should know from all of this that the kansas report is not out yet, neither is the n. dakota and you may have to dig pretty hard to find some of the lesser known one's. how do you think anyone person is going to know that answer and with the problems out there on bird populations, why would anybody if they did know, tell you. s. dakota is off by about 64%, a bigger problem just may be the loss of land, with those percentages they still have 2-3 times the amount of birds that everybody else has, there just will be no need to put the bird catcher on the front of your truck this year. don't come to colorado that's fer sur

cheers

sling shots

I couldn't find that video of the guy drilling a pheasant with a slingshot out of a truck in China. That's incredible! There must be plenty of birds there if they can shoot them with slingshots.

years ago i hunted with a guy that was raised in iran, as a kid he regularly shot some kinds of game birds over there with a sling shot, said a lot of the kids got pretty good with them

I think I was well on the way from the very start ! Everybody's a comedian at the expense of someone else until they want or need something. Then it's a whole different perspective.

Really did you expect it to go differently. The only reason you are not getting blasted on here is because you have been a member since 2009. Half of your previous posts have been asking for help or where to hunt. On several of those posts you were given help ( including me in 2011 SD). You didn't even show us the courtesy of responding back, or maybe thanking us for the help. If you were a regular on here and participated a couple times a week that info has been talked about a bunch. All you half to do is put out a little effort and read the threads, it's pretty obvious.

Tom hit it on the head. There are guys on here who I would mark exact spots on maps for, guys I would give general areas to and guys that I'd tell mojave desert for gambles or NE for chuks (not much help at all). Add to that what is going to be a tough year in the mid west for everybody and I'd say you got some pretty good responses. Try SD, they should have a few birds.:cheers:

pheasants

Tom hit it on the head. There are guys on here who I would mark exact spots on maps for, guys I would give general areas to and guys that I'd tell mojave desert for gambles or NE for chuks (not much help at all). Add to that what is going to be a tough year in the mid west for everybody and I'd say you got some pretty good responses. Try SD, they should have a few birds.:cheers:

ya, however if you have a dog that likes to point pheasants while they are floating in the water, give calif. a try.

cheers

Point pheasants in Ca, that's cute you think your dog could do that.:D Those german dogs would probably be chasing jack rabbits all day.:rolleyes:

sniffers

Point pheasants in Ca, that's cute you think your dog could do that.:D Those german dogs would probably be chasing jack rabbits all day.:rolleyes:

some years we have a few of the rabbits around, the cotton tail are no problem as they run in a hole rather quickly. the jacks like to tease the dogs though. if there are a lots of jacks and there hasn't been in many years where i hunt, are less of a problem then one jack every 6 or 7 trips. then seeing a jack is a treat for the dogs, otherwise they smarten up some

cheers

SD may have a few birds, but I can't find 'em. Ran dog hour and half this morning about four miles of gravel section roads. Good cover in ditches, bean and corn. Last year would find 10-20 birds usually in first mile or two. Never found a single bird this morning. It was about 40 degrees and dog was feeling good. It was a great morning anyway, but did see about 1 mile of cattail slough that was 6-8 feet tall had been mowed down. This was only cover in this whole section. I guess even with corn and bean prices dropping, he wanted to farm every inch of this section. Oh well, better bring extra boots this year to SD, I think you're gonna have to cover some ground!

Alright guys, I'll give you that one. No excuse for not saying thank you; however, 2011 went to hell after I posted that message. That was the year my wife nearly died in the hospital, TWICE ! You're right though. I should have at some point checked back and said sorry, I ain't going to make it but thank you.

Thanks for the info. I'll just keep lurking and reading the post.

Thanks again !

Back