When to Retire the GSP?

Goatman

Cassidy is now 11 years of age..

She handled the first full day pretty well, although, she was tired at the end of the day.. not running like she usually does.

She put in a couple of hours the second day, then I found her walking close to us, or out in front just using the nose...

She is in great health, but I didn't get enough prep time in before the season started.

Hoping that she will last a couple of years before it gets to be too much on her.

What are the signs that it is time?

Goatman

Depending on the individual dog the age will differ. But you are starting to see the fall off in performance due to age, and it will only increase, and rapidly.

Just getting the old dogs out as much as they can handle is about all you can do.

My old GSP (rest in peace) dropped off noticeably at 11, but I still hunted him till he was 13, although very short hunts only.

If your dog is not suffering from any joint issues (arthritis) or even if she is, then just keep the hunts short. Even when they are slowing down they still need to be active.

My Vizsla is 11 and he can still go all day but the signs are there. I know this will be his last really good season. Hearing is going a little (unless it's just selective deafness), not as limber and takes him longer to recover but he's old!

I had a Weim who could have hunted at 15 but she was mostly deaf and was getting cataracts. If she got in deep cover she'd go off and hunt and then couldn't see or hear me. Nearly lost her one time when she realized she had no idea where anyone was. She took off looking for us and we found her running around searching about 1/2 mile away. That was the last time I took her out.

Back