When do we start the push for change?

Agreed, Last few years in K.S. has been more of a hiking vacation than a than a hunting one. You mentioned 5-7 dollar corn. I'm wondering what's going to happen next year after these anhydrous ammonia prices. Most guys around here not planting much corn. Astronomical corn prices next year? Beef/poultry prices? Hell, we may not even be able to afford to drive to K.S.!!
There will be just as many non residents hunt ks in 2022-2023 as there were this year if not more. There will be more non residents apply for a deer tag than last season. There will be thousands of non residents hunting waterfowl and fishing. You guys are so wrong, it won't plunge.

There will be just as many non residents hunt ks in 2022-2023 as there were this year if not more. There will be more non residents apply for a deer tag than last season. There will be thousands of non residents hunting waterfowl and fishing. You guys are so wrong, it won't plunge.
I agree. No matter how bad Kansas gets, it's still not as bad as other States.

Yep. Everyone on here is down on the KDWP and they have done a terrible job in regulations with Deer Management (especially Non Resident deer hunting) but they are limited on upland birds. It is private land owners that will determine pheasant populations, not the kdwp and not drought. Pheasants will always have a better hatch in a dry year versus a wet year, especially when we have adequate CRP. The more CRP you have, the more cover you have and less haying. Hay bales are a pheasants enemy. As far as drought, when Kansas had all the CRP back in the 90's and early 2000's, drought had no effect on birds. At least he wasn't the scape goat.
Another area KDWP continues to fail at is the management of the WIHA program. Why do they continually throw money at subpar ground?

Perhaps if they upped their rates for “quality” habitat” It would encourage the landowner to leave a little bit for the wildlife. KDWP would also have to say no to the half section of winter wheat planted ditch to ditch. I realize that they then wouldn’t be able to advertise 1 million acres but folks are starting to wise up to their shenanigans.

I was surprised at the state of WIHA as a first time Kansas hunters. Multiple properties had bulldozers in destroying fence lines, properties that were 95% wheat with once fence row which was a deep ravine, one property still had cows on it, and one property the farmer had cows on, cut the baling twine off the hay bales, and just left it. Very hard to tell based off a map what the property would look like by the time you got there. I had numerous spots picked out that I just kept driving on past once I saw the cover, or lack there of.

it's frustrating, even the honor system among growers has started to go to hell.
this type of we/they activity is the beginning of the end for a once great program.
so be it, i did my best, always picking up beer cans and trash along the way.
ahhh, 20 years ago.

I was surprised at the state of WIHA as a first time Kansas hunters. Multiple properties had bulldozers in destroying fence lines, properties that were 95% wheat with once fence row which was a deep ravine, one property still had cows on it, and one property the farmer had cows on, cut the baling twine off the hay bales, and just left it. Very hard to tell based off a map what the property would look like by the time you got there. I had numerous spots picked out that I just kept driving on past once I saw the cover, or lack there of.
Typically about 1 out of 10 or so are worth getting out of your truck for a try. That 1 may be decent but you burn a ton of gas and time finding that 1.

I still had a great time though, will be back. I can't imagine how hard it would be to monitor all those WIHA properties to make sure they are staying compliant etc. Fingers crossed for more rain this spring/summer

I’d like to see all the heading to Kansas type posts on social media come back on after the trip and let everyone know how they did. Right now the only ones reporting back mostly are the 5 percent who did well. And a lot of the other pictures shared are controlled hunts. I’m as bad as most only sharing the good days. I’ll start……24 birds this seaon 14 coming from my last 5 days in the field, 2 of those on public land. The other 10 earlier in the year, I spent more time on walk-in for another 2 birds

Last edited:
I’d like to see all the heading to Kansas type posts on social media come back on after the trip and let everyone know how they did. Right now the only ones reporting back mostly are the 5 percent who did well. And a lot of the other pictures shared are controlled hunts. I’m as bad as most only sharing the good days. I’ll start……24 birds this seaon 14 coming from my last 5 days in the field, 2 of those on public land. The other 10 earlier in the year, I spent more time on walk-in for another 2 birds
We hunted 2 /2 days, 4 spots per day, moved 3 coveys, killed one quail. Averaged 15 miles per day, per day (2 dogs). Hunted all walk in

2019 hunted south central 4th time. Hunted 5 days, two guys, three dogs. killed 3 roosters a few quail. mostly public. 2020 flint hills west of Salina. Probably 6th time. Two guys. Three dogs. Hunted 3 private places 3 WHIHA for 6 days. Killed 4 roosters few quail. Last three trips to Kansas and one to south central Iowa have been barely worth it. I've surrendered to the fact that it's the best I can do without paying out some jack. I'm not giving up just frustrated. Early 90s It was not uncommon to kill the triple crown a couple days. I haven't seen a Prairie chicken for years.

I still had a great time though, will be back. I can't imagine how hard it would be to monitor all those WIHA properties to make sure they are staying compliant etc. Fingers crossed for more rain this spring/summert

I still had a great time though, will be back. I can't imagine how hard it would be to monitor all those WIHA properties to make sure they are staying compliant etc. Fingers crossed for more rain this spring/summer
KDWP doesn't manage WIHA. They help the landowner enroll the property, put up a sign, and that's it. They can't go on the property to manage anything. They can enforce hunting regulations but it isn't theirs to manage. Landowners can pull out anytime and do what they want with their property.

KDWP doesn't manage WIHA. They help the landowner enroll the property, put up a sign, and that's it. They can't go on the property to manage anything. They can enforce hunting regulations but it isn't theirs to manage. Landowners can pull out anytime and do what they want with their land
I agree it's completely unmanaged. It's a gross waste of funds and there are farmers that have no interest in improving habitat for the wildlife, they just want to collect the extra revenue. That farm looks awful good in the spring/summer when the milo is coming up and the waterways are growing good when the kdwp is out there to sign them up but what they don't say is that come fall the waterways will be baled and cattle out on the milo stocks.

I agree it's completely unmanaged. It's a gross waste of funds and there are farmers that have no interest in improving habitat for the wildlife, they just want to collect the extra revenue. That farm looks awful good in the spring/summer when the milo is coming up and the waterways are growing good when the kdwp is out there to sign them up but what they don't say is that come fall the waterways will be baled and cattle out on the milo stocks.
Yep, nothing worse than driving an hour to look at a nice big piece, and It's full of cows!!

KDWP doesn't manage WIHA. They help the landowner enroll the property, put up a sign, and that's it. They can't go on the property to manage anything. They can enforce hunting regulations but it isn't theirs to manage. Landowners can pull out anytime and do what they want with their property.
they better wake up and get involved and manage this program or it will die, as soon as people see what it has become.
the emergency haying program is totally abused now, it is administrated by a phone call and phony drought maps which
are totally inaccurate. ah politics, if it looks like shat, if it smells like shat, don't step in it.

they better wake up and get involved and manage this program or it will die, as soon as people see what it has become.
the emergency haying program is totally abused now, it is administrated by a phone call and phony drought maps which
are totally inaccurate. ah politics, if it looks like shat, if it smells like shat, don't step in it.
I agree the drought maps are phony and the emergency haying is ridiculous. But they can't manage land they don't own. Now they can control what properties are enrolled in the program but have no authority to manage someone else's land. The WIHA program is no different today than it was 25 years ago. There have always been non huntable properties. Where have you guys been?

true, but now the quality acreage has shrunk dramatically.
i really don't care, i will just take my money and spend it in IA or the Dakotas.
too bad, Kansas offered some diversity, oh well I have options, including preserves closer to home.
fees are fees, it all depends on who gets paid.

Last edited:
West,
Don't agree with you on this one...
Look at washington and idaho..back in the 60's each state harvested close to half a million wild roosters....each..
Now....roughly 1/10th of that. I can assure you non-residents arn't beating down the door to go chase roosters in those 2 states. Give it some time, kansas is headed in that direction.....nebraska is already there imo..
I have bought a WA non-res license the past 2 years as I am spendong more time in the state.......and as tough as the hunting is here, I feel fortunate to be doing a whole lot better than quite a few of the posters on this thread.....I don't say that with glee....it really sucks, as I had some really great hunts in KS going back to the early 90's...
Times change...not always for the better

West,
Don't agree with you on this one...
Look at washington and idaho..back in the 60's each state harvested close to half a million wild roosters....each..
Now....roughly 1/10th of that. I can assure you non-residents arn't beating down the door to go chase roosters in those 2 states. Give it some time, kansas is headed in that direction.....nebraska is already there imo..
I have bought a WA non-res license the past 2 years as I am spendong more time in the state.......and as tough as the hunting is here, I feel fortunate to be doing a whole lot better than quite a few of the posters on this thread.....I don't say that with glee....it really sucks, as I had some really great hunts in KS going back to the early 90's...
Times change...not always for the better
License sales could dip but it will be close to same. In 2020 NR licenses sold dipped but it was probably covid releated. I believe 2021 saw a 27% increase in non resident deer hunting applications. Kansas used to have left over tags available but not the last 2 years. And if they pass the transferable tag proposal you will see a record number of NR deer hunters this fall. Fishing license sales are really increasing. What I stated for 2022-2023 will be spot on.

License sales could dip but it will be close to same. In 2020 NR licenses sold dipped but it was probably covid releated. I believe 2021 saw a 27% increase in non resident deer hunting applications. Kansas used to have left over tags available but not the last 2 years. And if they pass the transferable tag proposal you will see a record number of NR deer hunters this fall. Fishing license sales are really increasing. What I stated for 2022-2023 will be spot on.
when gasoline hits 6 bucks a gallon there will be fewer NR's trecking to Kansas to hunt anything.
hunt those pen raised birds within 25 miles of home! for what it would cost me in gas alone, i can shoot a dozen pen raised roosters and be home for dinner! reality. Bambi can want until next year.

Last edited:
when gasoline hits 6 bucks a gallon there will be fewer NR's trecking to Kansas to hunt anything.
hunt those pen raised birds within 25 miles of home! for what it would cost me in gas alone, i can shoot a dozen pen raised roosters and be home for dinner! reality. Bambi can want until next year.
Nope we will have a record number on NR deer applications for 2022. And a record number on deer hunters if transferrable tags are passed. Last year the price for commissioner tags averaged $30,000 and one rumored for $42,000. You think $6 gas will stop them? They are sinking $10,000 a year into deer leases. Many are now buying their own land here. It won't stop me from going to Iowa.

Back