Wheat harvest

Wheat harvest really got with it a little over a week ago. Hearing mixed results on the wheat, some decent, some really poor. Not hearing many quail reports as of yet

I am hearing good reports south of Wichita. A good friend of mine says 60 to 70 bushel yields, good test weight but low protein. She has seen several broods of pheasant chicks and some quail. It sounds like the phez are just barely able to fly. I will be heading out to Ness City when they get started, and will probably be in an auger wagon for a few days. That is the best job to have to observe the pheasants. It sounds like next week some time is when it will really get going out there.

Fescue seed is under way in Missouri . Have seen 3 broods of quail tonight just sitting on the cooler watching. I am optimistic about quail in Missouri this year

Wheat harvest has started in the area I hunt, and they are seeing more chicks than last year. They said one field really had a lot of birds which doesn't surprise me, there were a lot of hens left there at the end of season. The chicks are mostly just barely big enough to fly out of the way. I hope to get our their next week and see for myself. They are also seeing a lot of quail again. The snowed on wheat is making more than they had hoped, most of it stood back up and you really can't tell it had heavy snow on it. It looks like they may get some rain in the next week.

hail is common every year, always spotty, just like the thunderstorms that support it......check w/locals.

hail is common every year, always spotty, just like the thunderstorms that support it......check w/locals.

Thought I was local. We have had larger hail than normal this year and more of it and a much wider swath of it. Much more rain usual and colder spring temps.

Thought I was local. We have had larger hail than normal this year and more of it and a much wider swath of it. Much more rain usual and colder spring temps.

my point simply was it ain't the same all over, when you were getting hail i am sure others did not...to say it was worse out in your neck, is just that...

That hail a week ago was over 100 miles wide and stretched from Ellis to Wichita. Every county in its path go something from nickel size to 2 inch craters.

Last edited:
Maybe I am just unlucky but I have not seen a brood. I will be hitting the roads after supper tonite so maybe with all the wheat being cut something runs across the road. Saw about 6 hens and 6 roosters tonite, and still no broods. Roosters and hens paired up.

Last edited:
That hail a week ago was over 100 miles wide and stretched from Ellis to Wichita. Every county in its path go something from nickel size to 2 inch craters.

Ice storms, rain (which is good), heavy snow and now hail. Listening to you one would think there aren't or won't be any pheasants. I can't remember you ever posting anything positive about conditions. Pheasants are adapted to living in the wild. Would you rather it be 105 degrees and no rain for a few years like 2011 to 2013? The guys cutting wheat that I have talked to, and it's a pretty big area are seeing more pheasants than last year. They are also seeing them in every field, which hasn't been the case since 2010. I don't live out there, I do own ground out there and have connections over a pretty big area. While hail may hurt the population in a spotty area, it won't be all that widespread. It is like that every year it's not new.

Back