Wheat harvest

Ice storms, rain (which is good), heavy snow and now hail. Listening to you one would think there aren't or won't be any pheasants. I can't remember you ever posting anything positive about conditions. Pheasants are adapted to living in the wild. Would you rather it be 105 degrees and no rain for a few years like 2011 to 2013? The guys cutting wheat that I have talked to, and it's a pretty big area are seeing more pheasants than last year. They are also seeing them in every field, which hasn't been the case since 2010. I don't live out there, I do own ground out there and have connections over a pretty big area. While hail may hurt the population in a spotty area, it won't be all that widespread. It is like that every year it's not new.

My invitation is still open to you to hunt with my "Robots".

My invitation is still open to you to hunt with my "Robots".

I am pretty picky who I hunt with, mainly friends I have known forever, and I hardly ever hunt with any dogs other than my own. I do fine on my own, even limiting out the end of January last year after the ice storm wiped them out, although I didn't find any dead birds the storm had killed from freezing their beaks shut. I am pretty protective of my places that I hunt, and it sounds like we would have to hunt my spots since yours don't have any birds.

Last edited:
We have had 4 days straight of rain, not much, just enough to slow down harvest and help the milo. Looks like we are getting ready to get another nice rain as I type. These rains are great as they have been light with no hail. Great for quail.

We are dry in NW Missouri. Perfect. Usually excessive rainfall hurts us. I mention it here because I might not hunt Kansas. If I can average 3 or 4 shots a day, I'd be happy.

I would like to shoot four pheasants in a day. Probably take fewer, longer, farther trips this year. 2010 was a memorable season.

Keep those wild pheasant and quail chick reports and brood sizes (and where) coming in, we never get tired of hearing them. That is why a lot of people view this forum in the summer time.

I don't care about deer, ducks or doves we see plenty of them all over. But wild pheasant and wild quail chicks are a rare sight to a great deal of people. Thank you guys for those reports.

On Wednesday the coop reported that harvest was about 1/3 completed and that many had not started due to the rain. 2 inches of rain in the last week had slowed harvest down. We did not get any moisture last night and the forecast looks dry now. Lot's of crowing going on. Hens and roosters paired up so I assume lots of re-nesting.

http://iowapf.net/AYearInTheLife.aspx

Last edited:
Westksbowhtr thanks for sharing. That is one of the most informative websites I have ever read regarding the life cycle of pheasants.
That was awesome::10sign:

Seeing several broods of quail around in southeast Kansas. Saw one this morning with 20-25 little ones in it along a gravel road. I drove by them in my truck and they were all big enough to fly 20 yards or so.

Back