What's your oldest "daily" use shotgun?

OKRev

Just an informal poll here. I currently have a 1978 12ga. Remington 1100 and a 1992 20ga. Remington 870 that get regular use. I also have a 1953 JC Higgins bolt action .410 that my grandfather bought for $26 when he got home from Korea that I'm getting reconditioned, it doesn't get used much but will make a great squirrel gun for my young ones. Supposedly my grandpa put a lot of pheasants down with it back in the day.

When do you "retire" a gun? All mine are in good working condition and I plan to use them until they aren't. I've also got my eye on a 1924 Belgian made A5 16ga. that is in amazing condition down at the local pawn shop. I might get a brand new shotgun this year, but I really love the old stuff.

Model 12

My oldest shotgun that gets the most use is a Winchester Model 12 made in 1937. It is a 12 ga and has a factory 26 inch barrel with a Mod. choke. You don't see that combination much, but it works. The pheasants don't care for it at all.

Lock and Load! :D

I have my grandpa's 12ga Wingmaster he bought in 1953, the first brand new gun he ever purchased. I had it re blued but it's in otherwise original condition. I take it on a few walks a year and even shot my first quail with it 8 years ago. Its not an everyday gun because I prefer the sub gauges but it easily could be.

Once a season, I make it a point to go out with my first shotgun:

an 1897 Winchester 12 ga, 30 in, full, manufactured in 1933, which I had purchased for me when I was 17 by the guy who taught me how to shoot, and hunt, and in many ways, how to live. :)

I had it re-blued about 20 years ago,not concerned with resale value, but wanting to make it "pretty." I also had the gunsmith go through to make sure every part was tight and in spec.

I want the birds to get out there a bit before I pull the trigger on the knucklebuster. (There have been serious issues with solid hits on close birds:( )

It, and the AYA Matador II, are my "heritage" guns.

I have an Ithaca 37 feather with 30" barrel, F. I would guess 1950's era. I shot a few rounds of trap with it this season and enjoyed it thoroughly. No rib, just a little bead at the end of the barrel. I don't use the gun "daily", but I did use it today on a possum that was lurking around the chicken coop. It's a very sweet shooting gun, and it seems to fit me well.

Hi all. fun post. The two oldest that I still use is my Purdey 12b, made in 1896 and my J. Blanch 12b circa, 1887. Both these Brits are still going strong. My other SxS's range from a couple years after 1896 to modern day. I'm a huge fan of vintage English guns. But, I never retire a gun, they all get used at least once.

Best!

Greg

I have an Ithaca 37 feather with 30" barrel, F. I would guess 1950's era. I shot a few rounds of trap with it this season and enjoyed it thoroughly. No rib, just a little bead at the end of the barrel. I don't use the gun "daily", but I did use it today on a possum that was lurking around the chicken coop. It's a very sweet shooting gun, and it seems to fit me well.

I have the exact same gun in 20 gauge. Sweet little gun, and not bad on the eyes either!!

My go to pheasant gun is a browning sweet sixteen made in 1952. I bought it used in 1964 for $50.00 and I still use it today. I have shot other guns over the years but have always come back to this gun. I guess cause it just feels right. I guess it's proven itself over the years all 3 of my sons plus 2 nephews want it when I'm through.

Hi all. fun post. The two oldest that I still use is my Purdey 12b, made in 1896 and my J. Blanch 12b circa, 1887. Both these Brits are still going strong. My other SxS's range from a couple years after 1896 to modern day. I'm a huge fan of vintage English guns. But, I never retire a gun, they all get used at least once.

Best!

Greg

Amazing guns. Quality never goes out of style. Is that J. Blanch a double hammer?

Amazing guns. Quality never goes out of style. Is that J. Blanch a double hammer?

Hi OK, no the Blanch is one of the first backaction hammerless guns they made, it has damascus bbls that have reproofed for Nitro powder under the Rules of 1954. Here's a pic of the gun in question

DSCF05171.jpg

I sure like the looks of a backaction gun.

Thanks!

Greg

I can't compete with gjw but I like the old guns too. Depending on my quarry, I regularly tote;
'52 Auto 5
'39 Model 12
'37 Sterlingworth

My most used is a 1912 Charles Daly 16ga.
dalyphez1.jpg

My oldest is a George Taylor 16ga made in 1886
taylor16_002_zpsfc4ed2a7.jpg

Some really nice old guns gentlemen!!! I don't have any that were handed down, so mine are 90's or newer. I sold my 870 because of the fixed choke and it was a 2 3/4 gun. Which today would not bother me, but I use to shoot a lot of Waterfowl.

Dukxdog, What is the antelope horn made into?:cheers:

I think it's Chamois horn. It's one of my whistles. I believe it was made in Europe. Perhaps Germany, Austria or that area.

I have the exact same gun in 20 gauge. Sweet little gun, and not bad on the eyes either!!

I looked up the serial number on mine and it looks like it was actually made in 1946. I really like it, and it swings very smooth with a 30" barrel.

Many years ago, my uncle loaned a model 37 to me on my first wild pheasant hunt, and I've had a sweet spot for them ever since. I offered to buy it from him every year when I visited them, and then a few years ago he just gave me his other 37, which he had bought for his father. I'll always treasure it, and the memories of hunting with him.

I haven't bird hunted with the 37 he gave me because it has a lefty safety (My uncle's dad was a lefty). But I've shot trap with it a few times and done some varmint control.

I've tried to get the safety reversed, but the local gunsmith couldn't find a right-hand safety for it. My daughter shoots lefty, so who knows, maybe one day she will take a liking to it.

Back