Whats wrong with our sport?

I absolutely hate killing the last bird to fill my limit. It means I have to stop, pack up my gun and call it quits for the day.

I've been on lots of really great dove shoots where the air was full of birds. With a limit of 12 and ten or eleven birds in the bag, I sometimes just sit and watch for a while. The best days are those when I've hunted hard, done some good shooting and go home one bird short of a limit.

More than once I've flushed the last quail of a limit, pointed the gun at him and just watched him fly off. Bon voyage, Mr. Bobwhite. I'll see you another day.

Good Point of View

I absolutely hate killing the last bird to fill my limit. It means I have to stop, pack up my gun and call it quits for the day.

I've been on lots of really great dove shoots where the air was full of birds. With a limit of 12 and ten or eleven birds in the bag, I sometimes just sit and watch for a while. The best days are those when I've hunted hard, done some good shooting and go home one bird short of a limit.

More than once I've flushed the last quail of a limit, pointed the gun at him and just watched him fly off. Bon voyage, Mr. Bobwhite. I'll see you another day.

I like what you say here. It shows a high appreciation for nature as she is without your shot flying through her air. Well said, sir.

J mahn, There you go:10sign:
I wonder how many times over the years I've held off on the limit bird.
I'm out there for the whole adventure. When I'm on a hunting trip, no place I'd rather be then working some pheasant cover, with a good pup. All day is best.:cool:
Get a early limit then what? I don't go to bars, don't like it in town. :)

Great thread! I appreciate being associated with such a class-act group of hunters...enjoyed everyone's comments. :thumbsup:

U-Guide (Chris) is right on target with the "stages of a hunter"...I have lived/progressed thru most all of them over my 50+ yrs on earth. As a kid in the "shooting stage" we didn't care what we shot at, heck dirt clods or pop cans were good enough if the game was scarce. Unfortunately, a little later on with some success under my belt I did go thru the "limiting out" stage - the one I am least proud of & a brief obsession that quickly began to drain the fun out of hunting & fishing.

I kind of skipped over the "trophy stage" - by that time having seen enough other hunters (deer hunters in particular) grotesquely possessed by it who would do ANYTHING for mission accomplished (pay ungodly amounts of money, trespass, fight/argue over a downed deer, get mad because somebody else beat them to the punch on a particular patterned animal, practically abandon wife & kids, hunt all 90 days of the season - geez, get a life already) - that was more than enough to cure me.

I now find myself at a season in life to enjoy the overall outdoor experience & the wonders of just being interactively involved in God's creation. I can finally honestly say it doesn't really matter if I get anything or not (but that's coming from someone who already has a lot of fins, fur & feathers under his belt).

For me personally, I think the greatest satisfaction comes from the do-it-yourself learning curve (for both me & my dog). My first partial-year to live in pheasant country I hunted alone 4-5 times, learned a lot & finally bagged a single rooster for the year on the final day of the season (I was elated). This past year (my 2nd season) things really began coming together & overall I averaged 2 birds per trip for the season, but I had to scratch for them most days & hunted all-day long more days than not (the way I like it). One of my most memorable, enjoyable days afield this past yr was a rare totally "skunked" day!

Some days afield it's the solitude, others the camaraderie, maybe a particular sunrise/sunset, a full-moon or star-studded sky at night listening to coyote music, that special bond between a man & his dog, the spirit of adventure, all of the incidental non-game flora & fauna sighted or wildlife antics encountered/observed that makes my day - you never really know what might be encountered the next day, over the next hill or around the next bend!

I think the real problems begin with heavily condensed/edited half-hour shows on Outdoor Channels that set expectations unrealistically high & when substantial MONEY becomes involved. I understand both sides (hunter & guide): On the one hand, when a person pays big bucks for an advertised "cream of the crop" place that is supposed to be head-n-shoulders better than what can be had publicly for free, then he somewhat rightfully expects a lot (especially the working stiff like me who sacrifices what he almost doesn't have in the first place for that special once-in-a-lifetime opportunity). On the other hand, anyone who has already earned his own hunting stripes knows dang good & well that no guide on the planet is getting filthy-rich from his efforts - if anyone doubts, just try setting up your own hunting or fishing operation & any get-rich-quick illusions will quickly be dispelled! The majority of these guys work hard for their money & it is only deep passion for the sport that keeps driving them to eke out an honest living doing what they love!

For the most part, I have managed to get around the whole thing by sticking to simple low-cost do-it-yourself adventures. If I don't spend the moon, then I don't expect it in return. For me personally, I get far more satisfaction anyway from one wild-rooster outwitted on my own than a limit every time at some wipe-my-butt shooting preserve & I would much rather match wits with an average 8 pt roaming free on public or everyday private land than have a 200+ B&C pen-bred-&-raised monster whitetail inside some high-fenced ranch handed to me (I wouldn't give you a nickel for the latter) - but this is just me. That's why there are plenty of different strokes for different folks! Whatever floats your boat or yacht if you can afford it!

Sadly, in an age of McDonalds, video games, & all manner of instant success - I fear that many people are already hopelessly out of touch with what is being espoused here! :(

Thank God there are still some of you left!!! :cheers:

I agree with all of you guys on not wanting to kill the limit bird and to just enjoy bieng out there in mother nature as close to god as i can get but i as a hunter safety teacher also see the other side our children that attend our class are split you can definetly tell the city kid from the country kid the country kids have a greater apreciation of what we are talking about here and the city kids are all about killing anything that moves its sad and they are the ones who tend to fail the common sense class but with the way things are going in todays world we may not have to wory much longer becouse like everything else in live hunting will be only a fond memory in our thoughts
:(

what

gcb, dont know if , i agree with your point about city kids. yes, the city kids, have not had the country, up bringing that, us country fok have had, that falls into what others on this thread have said, about the steps of hunting. they the city kids, have not hunted. Of course they want to kill, they have h never had the time to gro up on a farm or a ranch, or in a small town. they are in the kill stage, of their hunting experience. I think it is unfair that you are characteristically picking on kids from the city and comparing them to country kids who have had far more opportunity to hunt than kids that are on their first hunt from the city. I think it is far more important to introduce these kids to our great sport of hunting and to give them the opportunity to hunt and learn the way we did, about the way we did through experience. It is not about how many birds you kill, it is about the experience and being in the field, not killing the limit.
Thanks imho.
scott:)

There are many-many city kids that would for sure love the chance if given the chance.

this is true but the city kids are also more likey to stay inside all day on the video games and when they do get the chance to go hunt thenthey are more than likely going to want to kill kill kill instead of embracing the true essence of the outdoors and what our sport has to offer

Last edited:
kids

you guys when i was a kid, from the country, had a stevens 410, and dad took me hunting. at age 10, only thing on my mind, at that age was, killing birds. so , yes , i think we all start out this way. you dont have to old, to be wise, but there is no wise young people.:D heck i knew everything at 17, and every year after, ive learned how little i really know :eek:

Give ANY kid a choice between a shoot-em-up even at targets, cans & clays OR sitting still or walking their legs off all day long for maybe a shot or two & I'll tell you the answer every time. City or country, we all started out that way & nothin at all wrong with it!

It took many years & lots of success in hunting & fishing before I started settling down to just enjoy the ride. I think it's just a natural progression & that age/experience tends to slowly mellow a soul over time like a fine wine! :cheers:

That's why the smart man turns KIDS on to ACTION like bluegills, red-hot dove fields, highly-infested pheasant fields & culling overpopulated does to start with instead of say muskie fishing or trophy buck hunting. Let kids-be-kids & you just might have a chance of getting them hooked for a lifetime! :thumbsup:

A Curious Question: How many of us adult hunters already in the "summer", "autumn" or "winter" of life would continue going afield if we knew beforehand that we were spending our time in an area where the quarry being pursued was sparse to non-existent & we hardly had a chance in hades of ever firing a shot? That's what I thought! Don't be so hard on the kids... :)

I have lots of old pics with piles of dead birds on the tail gate.:(
Remember Iowa pheasants in the 70's? I was there. That audubon country had birds!!
Then plenty of hunting in the Dakotas.
No I sure don't blame those that want limits and faster the better.
Now most all of my upland hunting is in MT. Lots more land but lots fewer birds.
I like the big blocks of grass that will likely take all day to get the limit.
Most days I get so worn, can hardly make it back to the truck. But it's GOOD:10sign:

Back