What's in your vest?

Munster927

Curious what you all have in your hunting vest BESIDES the obvious essentials (shells, water, e-collar remote, etc). What's little gadget or accessory would you never leave in the truck that someone else may not have thought would be a good idea to have with them?

I suppose I should provide my own .2 cents on my own post. I always carry a slip lead in the bottom of my vest. The kind that goes over my dogs neck and tightens up when they start yanking on the lead. For when I get near a busy highway or as an emergency if she ever finds herself toe to toe with a conibear trap. I carry cable cutters for snares as well but I never want to see my dog stuck in a conibear trap.

I carry a lead, but it's a snap lead. Never thought about carrying a slip lead to serve double duty for conibear traps. I think I'll change.

I carry a lead, but it's a snap lead. Never thought about carrying a slip lead to serve double duty for conibear traps. I think I'll change.
A snap lead would likely work too. It's essentially a rope with a snap at the end. I could make either work if I had to, depending on what kind of leash material it is. My slip lead is from Mendota so it's a pretty tough leash. Almost rope like. I don't think I could break it if I had one end strung through a conibear and I was pulling on the other end.

But like Zeb said, knowing how to undo a conibear trap is a must. I used to carry around the same slip lead before I ever thought about a conibear. Watched a video on it and realized it could pull double duty.

Some slip leads could be a little to thick to pass through certain conibears I would think. Once I started bird hunting my buddy brought me a conibear so I could see it first hand and how to open it. He also brought me a really strong, but thin and flat "rope" and I tied a loop in the end to put my foot in and then pull the springs closed on the trap. Also useful is a big zip tie for releasing a conibear trap. I do have a large side cutters for cutting a snare or barb wire if need be.

The length of smaller rope is a good idea. Earlier this season my buddy's dog managed to get a rear foot caught in a 220, it was about all I could do to get that that bugger opened. I think it might take a heathy side-cutter for stainless steel cable snares...might try to snip an inch off some to know it they would work, or figure-our how the release works. In my area, I am not sure I have every been out in an area for much more than 2 hours, no need to drag much along here. My buddy is diabetic, so he carries a sugary snack, just in-case. Now back in the truck, I have a large duffle bag with extra everything, and a dog medical emergency kit...seems to be the best thing to ward-off more injuries...haven't opened it since I purchased it years ago.

Snare wire cutter (a made for the purpose cutter, you can get them from trapping supply outfits), a Gerber Dime Multi-Tool ( small multi-tool perfect for pulling thorns, cactus spines, and, porkie quills), a length of light rope (can be used to open connibears, as a slip lead, a hasty sling if I need both hands, or to muzzle an injured dog that has to be carried), collapsible water bowl.

Wouldn't leave the truck w/o all these items in my vest.

A two foot piece of foam pipe insulation to put over barbed wire fences when crossing. not used too often but mighty handy when you need it.

A two foot piece of foam pipe insulation to put over barbed wire fences when crossing. not used too often but mighty handy when you need it.
That's actually a genius idea haha I just don't know if I want to carry it with me every time I'm out. It might find it's way into my turkey hunting pack tho. Some places I hunt have alot of fences due to cattle grazing on the public land.

I dont have an e collar. That's uppity. My licences, Copenhagen, needle nosed pliers, a multi tool, rope, extra full choke tube, and wrench, 1 7/8 oz. Lead copper plated abs, 4 shells, 1 cigarette, matches, first aid kit, binoculars, gloves, mask.

Saline (contact solution), EMT gel, medical stapler, water, protein bars (no chocolate for dogs), elastic tape.

Back